Would you buy a used JDM car without the Auction sheet?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BCdreamer, Oct 13, 2016.

1. BCdreamer

BCdreamer New Member

There is a car I want to purchase from an owner in BC and they are not able to present the auction sheet the car came with.

The asking price is already at the limit for what the car is worth, is there anyway to obtain the auction sheet online using the VIN?

Cheers

2. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

If it went through the auction semi-recently (about 3 months) then it should be possible just searching statistic sales.

Generally speaking - if an owner doesn't want to share the auction sheet, then it's probably nothing to brag about.

3. Mark - Brave Auto

Mark - Brave Auto JDM Auction Agent/Exporter

If the vehicle that was purchased over 12 weeks ago from auction – the auction sheet is not worth the paper it is written on because you cannot confirm it online.

To obtain blank auction sheets is simple so NEVER buy a vehicle older than 12 weeks on auction sheet alone if you do not trust the seller.

What do you want the auction sheet for, to confirm the km’s are real or the condition of the vehicle…..?

1) if to confirm the km’s are real then it is not the auction sheet you want it is the Japanese Export Certificate (not the translated one) as this will have the last two shaken inspection dates and km’s on it. A photocopy of this documents is kind of like a copy of the auction sheet, not worth the paper it is written on unless the photocopy of the Japanese Export Certificate has copy written on it.
    When you take the original document and photocopy it (do not scan it, has to be black & white photocopy in most cases) the wording “COPY” will appear on the copy.
    Even if the seller hands you the original document, you should photocopy it to make sure it is real because there are clever cookies out there that can produce export documents but they cannot get the “COPY” to show up as it is kind of hidden in the original paper.

2) if it is to check the condition of a vehicle that is not local to you – if you do not trust the seller then either travel to check yourself or employ a third party. Just remember, the auctions do not test drive or carry out any mechanical checks on the vehicles. If the engine is making a strange noise at the time of auction inspection, yes that will be on the auction sheet but anything mechanical beyond that will not be.

3) if it is to check the condition of a vehicle local to you – same thing as above.

Finally,

1) if you email me the make/model, colour and vin number I keep records of every vehicle I have exported to every country for the last 20yrs so you never know, I may have been the exporter. If I was, do not ask me for the cost it sold for at auction (that is between my original customer and I) as I cannot help with that but I will help with the condition and km’s at the time of export.

2) if the vehicle was imported within the last 7yrs I can obtain the original auction sheet and sold price but it will cost me 2,000yen so therefore it will cost you 2,000yen. The only slight problem with this is that my source is not exactly main stream so therefore what I supply you with cannot be confirmed by other parties but it is better than nothing.

Cheers

Mark.

shok and BCdreamer like this.
  4. RyanV

RyanV Member

I always feel more comfortable with an auction sheet as well, but to be honest if it is already inspected and registered then have a PPI done on it by a local shop and if they are a decent shop you shouldn't have any concerns if it comes out clean. You could also have a compression test done if it isn't included in the PPI.

5. BCdreamer

BCdreamer New Member

Firstly I'd like to say how much I appreciate your responses, you guys are awesome.

Thank you Mark for the detailed answer, I will keep your comments in mind should I pass up on this car.

I managed to use http://www.japanesehistorycheck.com/service/ and they seem to have found the vehicle.

It will cost $100 CAD for the comprehensive report, I think I will go with this. To be honest even when if I decided to sell the vehicle 2 years down the line I would still like to have some history for the buyer.

Also thank you Ryan for your comment, the next step is a PPI ... has anyone got a recommendation for the PPI?

6. trev

trev New Member

People buy used LHD cars with minimal information every day.

Have you actually looked at the car in person?

Greg likes this.
  7. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

I second trev on this. People buy cars all the time, Japanese import or not. Buying a car from a second or third owner, I wouldn't expect an auction sheet.

8. BCdreamer

BCdreamer New Member

Well I got the history check back and the auction sheet has shown the car as RA with mileage about 90,000km higher than what I seen on the clocks in person. I think I will pass on this one :)

9. trev

trev New Member

Wow people suck.

Private or dealer? Let's see the ad.

10. BCdreamer

BCdreamer New Member

Private, Is it ok to post this information here? I wouldn't want anyone else to purchase this car considering how much he is asking for it.

Mods feel free remove this post if it is against any rules.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  11. BCdreamer

BCdreamer New Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  12. trev

trev New Member

That's terrible ... did he claim to be the one that imported it too?

It'd be interesting to know who rolled the odometer. If he got it from auction in Japan, or an exporter who rolled it .. or the current owner.

RyanV likes this.
  13. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Did you ask him about the mileage I would be interested to know if he was the one that swapped the cluster or if he got it that way from someone else. Mabe he doesn't even know.

14. RyanV

RyanV Member

Wow! I guess it was worth the money then. I assume the VIN matches?

15. BCdreamer

BCdreamer New Member

Yeah I would not like to go pointing fingers, but I would hope that someone who is interested in a Jap car comes by here or at least does the check themselves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Well then!

[​IMG]

17. Mark - Brave Auto

Mark - Brave Auto JDM Auction Agent/Exporter

If you google the vin number you will find who the exporter/importer was.

[​IMG]

BCdreamer likes this.
  18. trev

trev New Member

.... and the plot thickens.

19. BCdreamer

BCdreamer New Member

I feel bad for the guy, he has been screwed. :(

He has confirmed it was Jdmsource.ca and they are not responding to his emails.

Grab your popcorn folks, Ill update if I hear anything back.

tperkins likes this.
  20. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Crazy! Really unfortunate for this guy.