BC When I go pick up my vehicle at the dock, all I need is?

Discussion in 'Regional' started by JFT, Oct 26, 2016.

1. JFT

JFT New Member

I kind of figured it would go that way... It's ok I'll just drive it off the dock then.
    Hey Dah_Hunter, your buddy Kyle, do you know if he works Monday to Friday? I just want to make sure he is in the office when I leave the inspection since the TOP will be valid for that day only... Thank you!

2. JFT

JFT New Member

Alright, here's the news! First thing first, holly I'm happy with it ;)
    So I showed up at the dock, guy at the gate was very nice and friendly. I told him a tow truck from Sterling would come by 30 minutes later, he said that was fine and he would let him in. He did and I left with the truck on a flat bed no problem. I have to say, Sterling towing was the best experience I ever had towing a vehicle. He was right on time and I called him just 1h30 before, super friendly and nice.
    Okay, now I have to work on my truck! And book up an appointment for the inspection. Cheers

3. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Glad that worked out.

What truck is it BTW. Pics.. should be added.

Also where are you bringing it for inspection?

Kyle works Tuesday to Friday (Best to go before 4pm.) We have the other girl there trained as well. Her name is Alicia. i think she works monday to Friday.

4. JFT

JFT New Member

Thanks man! My truck is a Toyoace just like your Dyna flatbed but mine is the short body version. Box is 9' long, 5' wide perfect for my renovation business!
    Well I was referred to High Octane in Richmond but I've been calling the guy twice and so far he never called me back...
    Yes, I called at there office to find out about Kyle's hours since I would like to coordinate that with the inspection. Thank you for letting me know about him and Alicia as well. So now I know I have to wait till Tuesday! And hopefully the guy will call me back one day and can pass me Tuesday as well...

07 - nXs46vI.jpg

5. trev

trev New Member

The procedures the agents got from ICBC is pretty clear, one TOP for inspection purposes only. If you require more than 1, you technically have to have it towed.

They put this in place "way back when" because guys were just buying GT-Rs, temp permitting them for up to a week at a time to rip around in once a month to avoid compliance. Now you should only be able to get an A-B once to an inspection facility.

It's all come back to me now ...

But as usual with ICBC agents, you are pretty much at their whim, mercy or cluelessness on any given day.

I'm not sure if the new computer system is more secure or not.

Regardless, as others have suggested .. do what you gotta do.

6. shok

shok SpaceMan

So just to clarify, you actually need the Form 1 (or a copy of it) to get a Temp permit? I was on the phone with an insurance agent yesterday and she said I just need the bill of sale for the TOP. Which is it?

7. JFT

JFT New Member

Well all I needed was a copy of the Form 1, that's all. When you go to get your insurance at ICBC, then they will need the original.

8. shok

shok SpaceMan

Yes, that is quite clear. What is still unclear is whether or not the bill of sale is good enough to get a temp permit. I will look into this in the next few days.

9. JFT

JFT New Member

I don't know for sure about the bill of sale but why taking a chance? Just bring a copy of the form 1 and call it a day; you know that works 100% sure. If you don't have it in hand because you used a broker, just ask him to email you a copy and print it, that's what I've done.

10. Dah_Hunter

Every broker will have there own opinions about what you need. So I prefer to be over prepared.

11. shok

shok SpaceMan

Alright, so I picked up my vehicle the other day and I can now clarify that a Form 1 is not required at all to get a TOP to drive your vehicle home. I used the bill of sale (which included the VIN) and neither insurance agent had much of a problem (I dealt with 2 agents). I hadn't imported for at least 7 years or so before this and the process doesn't seem to really have changed that much.

I had to get 2 TOP's, one to get the vehicle to my friends place in New Westminster where I then replaced the battery because someone smashed the glovebox open during the shipping process and it caused the battery to completely discharge (glove box light stayed on). The next day, after replacing the battery I got a second TOP and drove the vehicle home to Kelowna. The 2nd agent tried to question whether I could put a temp permit on the vehicle since it was a Japanese import but I quickly informed him that it was actually originally a Canadian vehicle and I had gotten a TOP from a different agent at the same office, sitting in the exact same chair the day before and he didn't question me after that.

I agree with the sentiments above regarding being as prepared as possible but I am also an advocate for knowing the exact process and not creating extra work for people. Different agents do seem to have differing opinions on what is acceptable but if you are informed of the process it is not too difficult to navigate those waters.

A final note, I personally would not advocate for driving a vehicle home from the docks without a proper permit no matter how close you live to the facility. Not only is it an unnecessary risk, but if you are caught it will only contribute to the negative image Japanese imports unjustifiably have in many circles and that does not help any of us.

Hopefully this adds a bit of clarification to some of the discussion! Happy importing!

12. Dah_Hunter

The issue you can run into is by knowing the exact process some agents that are unfamiliar with the process don't like to be told how to do there jobs. So that can cause an issue. But for the most part like you said it's not an issue.

Glad everything worked out.

13. trev

trev New Member

*insert broken record*

Their handbook specifically states only an A-B permit for inspection purposes on a foreign import. They showed it to me. If you got a TOP, let alone a 2nd TOP, you got lucky.

But as always when dealing with ICBC, YMMV.

14. shok

shok SpaceMan

You are right about it being an A-B permit for inspection purposes but that language is somewhat ambiguous and can be interpreted in different ways. You can use this to your advantage. Any one who has taken any law courses will understand the difference between the "Letter" of the law and the "Spirit" of the law. This is where insurance agents personal interpretations tend to vary. When we TOP these vehicles and drive them to our residence to prepare them for inspection we are still utilizing the permit for inspection purposes.

As Dah-Hunter points out above, "The A to B can have deviations so thats not a Huge deal. just get that Permit and drive it home, do the work and get another permit and drive it to the shop. Then a third permit to drive it to ICBC so they can sight it".

My advice here is don't even bother using your residential address, just give them the address of a shop near your residence so as not to throw up red flags. They are just trying to make sure that people aren't insuring these vehicles daily for joyriding as has happened in the past, like someone else mentioned regarding Skylines.

I have never personally encountered an agent who refused to give a permit and I have imported numerous vehicles in the past. They might have some questions but if you are well informed some gentle nudging usually does the trick. If you somehow happen to get an agent that is extremely rigid and prejudiced against imports just go to another agent, the majority of them seem to be fine.

There is no luck involved here. If you are informed, personable, and patient you will get this done. The number of members who successfully utilize TOP's to retrieve their vehicles from the docks are a testament to this. There is no reason to make the process seem more complicated than it actually is.

15. Prostrho

Prostrho New Member

I was pulled over by the Police once with my TOP. He pulled me over because he couldn't see the TOP clearly as the back windows were tinted.

He asked me where I was going, and I said to an inspection facility. It was approx. 7pm and he asked me where are facilities still open? I said I just finished working on the car for compliance and I'm dropping it off at the inspection facility and throwing the keys into the mail slot.

He didn't bug me after that.

16. shok

shok SpaceMan

I'm glad it worked out for you. If you are doing your best to follow regulations (like it sounds like you were) there usually isn't much reason for them to hassle you. Good job.

I recently encountered an ICBC inspection facility who initially refused to inspect my vehicle because it came from Japan. When I told him it was originally a Canadian vehicle and was not Right Hand Drive he reluctantly agreed with some persuasion on my part. He said that he won't do Right Hand Drive vehicles though because of licensing regulations. Apparently he is not licensed to inspect RHD but can do other vehicles? Can anyone confirm if this is actually a thing? I have another shop I can take RHD's to but I am just wondering if this is real or if he is just making it up. Sounds kinda like BS to me.

17. Dah_Hunter

Lol. That's total BS. There is no separate license needed for RHD. They fall under passenger vehicles.

That's a good one. Love how these shops make stuff up to avoid work.

18. tegu

tegu New Member

I have heard from an inspector that out of country inspection is much different / harder then the out of province or from the states inspection - is that true?

19. shok

shok SpaceMan

When a vehicle comes into BC from Japan the out of province (OOP) is the only inspection that is required. Just the same as if someone moved to BC from another province in Canada. When a vehicle comes from the states, however, it requires both a Federal inspection and the OOP inspection as per the RIV program. I have never put a vehicle through the federal inspection but I have heard that it is not a big deal. My most recent inspector referred to it as somewhat of a joke. Maybe someone who has put a vehicle through the federal inspection can chime in here.

20. tegu

tegu New Member

I have done a few federal ones - but it is only for newer then 15 years. It is at canadian tire. They check for KPH and DRL, and charge you a fee for tire disposal. You prepay it online thru the federal website, and get a sticker a few weeks later :)