BC When I go pick up my vehicle at the dock, all I need is?

Discussion in 'Regional' started by JFT, Oct 26, 2016.

1. JFT

JFT New Member

I'm planning on going to pick up my truck tomorrow morning.
    All I need is a TOP to drive my truck back home right?
    Can someone please confirm me?

2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Basically ya. Though that's not even needed. I seen people drive the cars away with nothing. Docks don't care. Lol.

Gas might be good. Just in case but normally there is enough fuel to get you to a gas station.

3. JFT

JFT New Member

Thank you so much for getting back to me! I have to say you've been my best help so far with all your posts etc... Thank you!
    If you knew how many of your post I printed to bring with me tomorrow!
    Yes I'll have diesel, battery booster etc... It's just I was re-reading one of your post and decided to call my usual insurance place to get the TOP. He basically told me can't do that, not possible, you'll have to tow it kind of thing and he was firm on that. Made me second guess, it's my first time... But I read your post ''doing custom yourself'' and I realized the guy didn't know what he was talking about...

My problem now is I don't have the form 1 yet, Al mailed it yesterday I guess and I already booked up the dock appointment for tomorrow morning... So I may have to drive it without the TOP... It's 15 minutes drive. If you say they don't care, I might give it a shot!

Cheers!

4. JFT

JFT New Member

Okay I guess what I would like to know with certitude now that I've heard all kind of different things is what do need to get a TOP.
    Which papers are required to get a TOP?

5. Kombat0001

Kombat0001 Steve

if you have a copy of the form 1 then you can use the copy to get the TOP

6. JFT

JFT New Member

Yes, I do have a copy of the form 1, wasn't sure if I needed original or not. That's all I would need?

7. trev

trev New Member

I would think you'd technically have to have the original, but honestly you never know with insurance agents. If I'm not mistaken, also your original agent is right. They (I believe) are only supposed to give you a TOP to take it directly from wherever it is to your inspection facility.

With the new system and everything getting entered in to a computer, it might not be as easy to get multiple TOPs as it was in the old days.

8. JFT

JFT New Member

Thanks Trev. Well now I'm back to square one... I need a TOP to get the truck, get those tires installed, bring it home so I can install that DRL system. What would be the point to bring it to the garage for inspection straight from docks if I know it won't pass that way?
    I'm not the only one that imports a car, there must be a way otherwise it just make no sense?

9. Kombat0001

Kombat0001 Steve

The permit is a point a to point b permit so point A the dock to point B can be home or shop.... copy of form 1 is allowed to do TOP but you will need the original to register
    Is your house by chance between the dock and the port??? no one said you have to go straight there

10. RyanV

RyanV Member

Pulled an old TOP from my file:

"This Temporary Operation Permit has been issued in accordance with Section 14.04 of the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations: _ No _ Yes If yes, operation is restricted to driving from the owner's residence to an inspection facility, garage or repair facility, and immediately to the Autoplan Agent's office for vehicle identification number inspection and registration."

Then there is the section below where you put the from and to addresses. So, I guess, technically, there is no way to get the vehicle to your place of residence from where every it is first, but if I'm reading that correctly, once it's at your house you can go from your house, to inspection and then to Autoplan under one permit. We all get TOP's to go from wherever the car has landed to our homes and later to inspection. I've never had to deal with a claim under this policy, but I suspect you would be covered as long as you are traveling between the to and from locations. If you deviate on the to-from path, your policy could be void.

*edit: Actually, reading further on the back of the page "...is is valid only while the described vehicle is operated in the province from the place of residence of the owner or a garage or other place of repair to an inspection facility and return..." So, again, if I'm reading that correctly the permit should actually be valid for the to-from and then again going from-to as long as both directions are in the same day.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  11. JFT

JFT New Member

Thanks so much guys for you time trying to help me out with that!
    So does it mean that I have to tow my truck home? Do my work on it. Then request a TOP to go for my inspection. It seems that way according to Ryan's post.
    But I don't understand why and it makes no sense.
    Am I the only one that gets the vehicle himself at the dock? I can't imaging everybody tows the vehicle home? What if I didn't lived by the docks?
    What's the point of going straight to inspection when we all know it won't pass for at least the DRL, tires etc...
    Or let's say my appointment for the inspection is at 4pm, by the end of the day it passes but then what if the insurance place is closed? Can't drive it back home?
    Or I'm from Prince George, drive all day to get to the dock, don't know anybody here or a garage, can't drive it back to my trusty place?
    Or let's say you're a mechanic but not licensed to do inspections, you still have to pay another mechanic to do the work for you?
    What all of you guys doing? Drive it to the garage, pay big $ to get someone else do the work you could have done and call it a day?

12. Dah_Hunter

The A to B can have a deviantions so thats not a Huge deal. just get that Permit and drive it home, do the work and get another permit and drive it to the shop. Then a third permit to drive it to ICBC so they can sight it.
    Dont bother to question ICBC, and the way they do things. The actual Definition of how you have to get from Point A to B i have never seen clarified..

Say you want to stop for Lunch.. Is that a Deviation? Say you need to get Gas? Say you dont want to drive the quickest route.. who to say..

Im sure if your A was 820 Dock Road and you B was Somewhere in Vancouver.. and you caused a 10 car pile up in Kamloops. they ICBC would find you insurance Void and you would be screwed..

WWL doesnt care how cars leave thier property, Towing, TOP, Plate swap. No Plate. Pushing.

Lots of people do tow the cars home because they are working on weekdays, im down at the dock at least twice a month and i see cars getting towed all the time. Also I see people with ICBC TOP. or Alberta TOP.

My Advice is dont think about it. Dont worry about it.. and Dont kill anyone in your car while you have the temp permit and you will be fine.
    If the ICBC broker your talking to is being a pain, just take your papers and go to the next one on the street.. there are Lots..
    Copies are fine for TOP because ICBC doesnt need to take the Originals at that time.

Originals are required for the Final registration.

13. JFT

JFT New Member

Yes you bring a good point and you make sense. Thank you for replying.
    So I would need 2 TOP then. One from the docks to home. Then a second one from home to the inspection place once I'm done.
    ICBC won't mind or ask why I needed 2?
    Okay, I'll let go that headache insurance place.
    I'll stop at Walmart by the dock tomorrow morning ''somebody was mentioning they were good with TOP on the forum'' if they give it to me, fine, I'll drive it.
    If they don't want to make it happen, then I'll get it towed home.
    Thank you for helping me making that decision, I've been struggling with that all day and it's just the beginning...
    Once I'm done and inspected, I'll go see Kyle in Langley to insure it.

14. Dah_Hunter

Are you just going home working on it and bring it to the the inspection in the same day?
    If so you would only need one.

If you are bring it for inspection another day then yes you would need one for that day.

No point in getting 2 at the same time.

15. JFT

JFT New Member

Well I wanted to bring it home to install my DRL, it might be complicated because it's a truck, the battery is outside, I have to lift off the front end to get in the engine bay etc... I was thinking to get the tires installed the same day but I won't with that TOP fiasco. Kind of wanted to do an oil change, coolant flush, you know stuff like that over the weekend and then bring it to the garage like Monday or so... I don't think I can make the DRL happening after the pick up, go to the garage for inspection and drive to Langley for insurance the same day anyways. And before today, I though TOP's were the easiest thing to do on the list of things to do so I though I had a good plan... Now I'm thinking to put my truck on blocks to get my tires mounted because I already bought special heavy duty tires that the inspection place won't carry. What a pain in the ass...

Cheers man

16. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Seems like Alberta has a better system, as the in-transit permits here are valid for a week or so. They also have a pickup and destination on them, but like @duh_hunter said, no one really cares. So as long as I move quickly I can pick a car in BC, drive it back to my place to work on it, then get it inspected with one permit. Like he said, just dont kill anyone lol.

17. JFT

JFT New Member

I'm sure Alberta has a better system, in fact I'm sure any other provinces has a better system... And the way you describe it, it already makes more sense to give the new owner a week to do what they have to do.

Yesterday evening, I had it all set in my mind and decided to drive it back myself ''taking a chance'' not to kill anyone lol. But waking up this morning I'm thinking I'll just suck it up, pay to get it tow home (20 minutes) and be safe. I still have a clean abstract after 2o years and it's not myself that I doubt, it's the other drivers around me... And risking to loose everything if something happen to save maybe a $100 is silly of me. Because I understand they will do all they can to void the TOP if something happen. I know chances are slim but peace of mind is nice too... It's just the system is kind of retarded but no surprise here...

Thank you all for your replies, all of them were really appreciated. I'll keep you guys posted! Cheers

Murrdawg02 likes this.
  18. RyanV

RyanV Member

So I haven't picked up from the docks for a long time since I've primarily used container, but what's the deal with the tow truck entering the dock property? Do you have to hire a company that's approved by CBSA or the port to enter that area? I just remember some sort of changes that happened a year or two back where they finally stepped up the security.

I guess if the tow truck can't enter the port you could just have the tow truck outside the gates and drive your truck out of the port property (as long as you don't have any issues getting it running). Maybe this information is provided to you in a package from WWL? They used to have specific instructions on what you needed to do and bring prior to coming to the docks to pick up your vehicle, so I would assume they still have clear instructions.

19. JFT

JFT New Member

Yep that's a good point and I was wondering about that as well. I'm going this morning so we are about to find out, I'll let you guys know when I'm back.
    Thanks Ryan for your reply yesterday and taking the time to dig up that old TOP for me, very helpful.

20. Dah_Hunter

Anyone accessing the dock has to get prior approval I'm sure you can get a tow truck to meet you at the outside of the gate