What kind of car should I buy?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sask, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Sask

Sask New Member

Hello everyone, been a while since I've been on here. Looking for some opinions.

Currently I'm driving a 2002 RSX Type-S. I bought it for a smoking hot deal and there's no way I can lose on it, but it's been neglected in its 126K life. Second gear grinds a bit, feels like the mount/bushings are worn and replacing the suspension has been a nightmare (I have some nice cutting tools now). Also, insurance is stupid expensive and it uses premium fuel, which costs an extra $500/year.

Basically I'm looking to get a daily driver for the next couple of years, one that needs minimal maintenance and is going to start every day. I'm finishing up school and I want to keep it CHEAP! (Cheap enough that I might be able to buy a Miata/s-chassis/RWD something to play around with, I miss my Altezza) I have a couple options I've come up with on my own, feel free to add your own! It needs to be good on fuel, and preferably use regular gas. Also needs to be able to be driven in Winnipeg winters. I'd probably like to stick to FWD as AWD isn't really needed and just adds extra cost.

1. JDM. Mazda Familia S-Wagons and Toyota Glanza S's are pretty high up on the list.
    Pros: cheap insurance
    Probably Rust free
    Cons: parts availability not as good
    Always taking a gamble buying overseas

2. <2005 Civic/Protege/Echo RS/Matrix
    Pros: cheap insurance
    cheap parts
    Rust free if bought from west
    Cons:
    Most likely worse condition than JDM equivalent
    Possibly more time spent fixing it..
    Not rust free if bought locally
    Easier to buy from JDM auction than private party in BC

3. >2010 Versa/Mazda 3/Yaris/Matrix
    Pros: newer
    Cons: probably not rust free (come from east)
    Expensive insurance
    Higher K (possibly more maintenance $$)

4. New lease on Kia Forte/Chevrolet Cruze @ $185-$200/month
    Pros: best gas mileage
    It's brand new.. new car warranty
    Never have to wash it.. ever
    Cons: most expensive long term option
    Expensive insurance
    They don't have A/C... :(

So that's about it! Feel free to suggest specific cars, areas to buy from, etc..

2. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic New Member

I might have missed this, but what's your budget? I imported a CRV a year ago through BeForward for a very good price. It's a nice year round vehicle with little perks like AWD, manual trans and cheap maintenance cost.

3. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Not a Kia or Chevy...Chevy especially...it seems so blah!

4. Kardon

Kardon New Member

It might seem strange, but I came really close to buying a 2nd gen Honda Fit. Certain years are made in Japan, some are chinese. It's been said that the fit is what the civic was. I honestly was really impressed by the handling and overall driving experience, but they do cost quite a bit and it didn't really align so well with my love of inline 6 Toyota's. They race these things in SCCA. I could definitely see myself owning one if I had a need for a small, economic 4 cylinder car.

5. Sask

Sask New Member

CR-V's are nice and cheap, believe me I check Beforwards stock religiously. But I'm not convinced the AWD would be worth the extra money on fuel every year. Unless AWD vehicles get comparatively good fuel economy vs. a FWD vehicle in the winter.. I've never owned one.
    As for budget, don't really have one. Just cheapest humanly possible to get a reliable vehicle really...

Haha didn't think that would be the most popular option. Tbh I think a lot of my choices are fairly blah.

Not strange at all.. I love those Fit's. I drove a manual first gen once and was quite surprised. But like you said they do cost quite a bit. If we were able to import a manual JDM Fit right now it would definitely be an option. There are some manual Altezzas right now that are really tempting, especially a manual wagon with the (weak) 1G-FE, but I feel it'll just take away money from me buying a REALLY fun weekend car.

Looking at a Glanza S at the moment, if I can gather up the funds next week and it's still available I might go for it...

6. coquitlamglenn

coquitlamglenn New Member

Nissan Leaf. My 2013 model with a 10/10 battery and 38000 kms cost $13900. You can get one for several thousand less if you import from the US yourself.
    While the purchase price may be a little high (not CHEAP) - take a look at how much you are spending on gas each month. We drive quite a bit. After 4 months of Leaf electric car ownership (with gas burning second vehicle), here are our fuel expenses from Feb to June 2016 vs 2017:
    Gas - $1003.33 vs 277.52 = $725 less
    Hydro - $226 vs $394 = $168 more
    So our hydro has gone up $42/mo, but gas has gone down $181/mo.
    I actually haven't been to a gas station since May 15.
    If you drive more, you will save more. If you can charge at work, the electricity will cost you almost nothing.

In addition to the gas savings, there are no oil changes, no filters, tune ups, valves to adjust, sensors to replace, oil gaskets, ignition system, no turbos, no transmission, etc. Even the brakes are only lightly used compared to an ICE car because the regenerative braking does the majority of braking. It sounds cool (even if it quiet), and is surprisingly peppy - full torque available at any speed, right from a full stop. While its 0-60mph time is not stunning, the 0-30 is faster than most cars (about 3s), which accounts for most city driving. If your daily commute is under 100 kms or so, there is no real down side. . . . .

DSC_3998.JPG

gillbates and Pajerist like this.
  7. trev

trev New Member

Alto Works RS-R

8. celicarefugee

celicarefugee New Member

Can't go wrong with a 2000 (5 speed) or 2005 (auto) Rav4. The best versions of the 2 best generations of Rav4. You won't find a good surviving 2000 on the east coast but they are probably all over the place in the west.

9. trev

trev New Member

Nice thing about importing a JDM RAV4 is that you can get the 2000+ in 2 door which I believe weren't available here.