What Have You Done to Your Car Today?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RyanV, May 21, 2014.

1. IanB

IanB New Member

I'm terrified to force the windows in my MB down when they freeze up, due to the stories of common window regulator failures on these cars! The plan was to have the car sit in the driveway year round, and continue to use it as my daily driver, but we had a frosty day last week and all 4 windows froze shut. I would normally hold down the power window button and slam the door a few times to break it free, but the risk is high on this application that something unintended will break instead!

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

The plastic for the regulators is brittle enough. Can't imagine it's very good in cold temps like that. I've had to replace regulators on both the W210 chassis I owned.

That said, I think it was easier to replace on the Mercedes than the one I just did on the Aristo.

3. IanB

IanB New Member

Have you had to do front ones, or rear or both?

4. RyanV

RyanV Member

Just the rears on the Mercedes. I don't know if the fronts are any better or worse for access.

5. silent112

silent112 Ryan

thread bump..
    I just got my timing belt and water pump done the other week.
    Also bought a K&N filter cleaner for my mugen filter.
    The mugen filter is actually made by K&N, mugen just owns the tooling rights which means only stores that sell are licensed to sell mugen parts can sell it. Thats why a new filter is just over $130

Here's the filter pre cleaning:
    [​IMG]

This photo is after I rinsed out the bottom half of the filter, top is still more black, and less light getting through.
    [​IMG]

All dry, and re-oiled. The oil used is almost red so it's easy to see where you need to spray.
    [​IMG]
    After cleaning the throttle felt a bit lighter, and a bit better response low down.
    Overall, it was only $16 with tax and I only used about 10% of the cleaner, and oil so I feel like it's a good investment especially if you use a lot of K&N filters.

6. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

Technically, I didn't do it, but the Mazda has new summer tires...

7. Wolfd89

Wolfd89 Last in, first out

got new rubber for the 17's and washed the old gal for the first time this season. the 215/55's are just big enough that the front lip doesn't scrape on the driveway anymore :D[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RyanV

RyanV Member

New fuel filter installed on the Land Cruiser today. I've been meaning to do it for a while, but I've left it. Recently, I've been noticing a rougher idle and it almost stalled out on Friday when I had it in reverse, so that was the kick in the butt for me to get it done.

Next up, a wash :)

9. RyanV

RyanV Member

Pic after the wash

[​IMG]

Truck seems like it's running smoother after the fuel filter change as well. I haven't checked my documentation, but I suspect the previous change was over 50k kms ago. Rolled over 240,000 kms this morning.

Pajerist likes this.
  10. robbieg

robbieg Does this and that from time to time

Dang. 240,000 kms. These things age so well.

11. RyanV

RyanV Member

12. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

13. RyanV

RyanV Member

Thankfully, no! That's just how much I had lying around at the time. Takes 7 liters which is expensive at about $12 USD per liter.

14. tperkins

15. IanB

IanB New Member

Both the E55 and Land Cruiser take about 9L per oil change. Thankfully I'm on extended intervals with each (15,000kms/once a year on the Benz, 10,000kms or 2X per year on the LC).

16. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Well spent 3 days changing a clutch on a Bugeye JDM STI. it was a fun job on jack stands.
    couple random pics.

IMG_20160804_111233.jpg

IMG_20160805_091135.jpg

Old Clutch.

IMG_20160805_094236.jpg

17. tperkins

Damn, that old clutch is toast.

18. RyanV

RyanV Member

Changed the oil in the Aristo tonight....Most difficult car i've owned to change the oil. I should really spend the money on the filter relocation kit, but it's something like $250 USD for the good one I want :(

19. RyanV

RyanV Member

Oil change on the M5 yesterday. I was expecting to have to figure out how to put the undertray back on since the car came with an undertray in the trunk, but there was already one there! Also, there is just a little door with one screw to remove to change the oil which is much nicer than having to drop the whole tray :)

I also checked the level of the rear diff oil in the Land Cruiser. It seems like it's been leaking a bit since the rear pinion was replace, but it must be a tiny leak because I haven't added any oil to the diff and the level was ok.

20. celicarefugee

celicarefugee New Member

JDM to USDM license plate adapters. I did not know until I went out to put my plate on this morning, that the holes in Japanese license plates are in a different place than ours. I could have drilled some new holes in the car and put rivnuts in or holes in the plates but my front plate is pretty flimsy and I wanted something to support it. I have half a box of vinyl laminate flooring left over so this seemed like a pretty good material to use. It's soft enough that you can drive hex head bolts into it and get them almost flush.

https://imgur.com/a/cd9T2

Greg and Pajerist like this.