What else do you drive?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by magnavahn, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

Yeah that would be fun, likely twice my price point though!

2. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Could be. Local dealers are losing old stock on discount now that the '15s are selling, but they've been at 22.5 during the year too - took me some willpower to abstain. Either way, I'm not as much advocating for the Fords, as I'm advising against the BMW. :)

The Fords are great, though (not these ones).

3. Rygar

Certainly no harm in checking them out. Definitely not a Ford guy, but I had thought about a Focus ST before but I think they're starting at $31k around here.
    All suggestions welcome at any rate. The problem here is that I think there is one Fiesta ST for sale in the Maritimes and it is a 2015 at $29k.

There is the rare fun thing pop up, however:
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ge/1028130910?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  4. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Fords are really nice now, it is different between models, but the fiesta and Focus are as good or better then anything out there. the reliability has been dead on so far at 65,000km, I did a lot of research into the focus before I got it to make sure it would be quality.

Juke R is awesome! those things look crazy, love it!

The AWD turbo Focus would be wicked, I'd be SO into that car, I really like the interior in the Focus, great cockpit, a lot sportier then other cars in the class IMHO.

I used to think people with new cars were wasting money, trucks and SUV's driven by arrogant people who wanted status. Then I drove them around in Winters as a rental or borrowed and I totally got it, the sense of security, now nice new car interiors are. The 95 STi was never the same to me after I got the Focus, fast and thats about it (looked cool too I'll say) but early 90's budget car interior doesn't stand up anymore, but it sure was fast!

5. Rygar

That is one of the pros of the new Mazda 3s, as well. The interiors are fantastic!

6. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

New cars have broken me, I expect that kind of quality and modern in cars. I don't know how the perception change happened in my head that the old cars, no matter how awesome, don't do it for me anymore.
    I was in a really nice ST205 Celica for a ride the other week, I was in love with those things, this one pulled really hard, but the interior, my god it was pretty bad, was my 1990 Celica this old? didn't seem so at the time, the Focus has ruined me.

7. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Hmmm, i still cant get on the ne car kick.. the new interiors are to plasticity and cheap feeling in most of them, also i find the visibility in a a lots of cars seems to be lacking compared to older cars.

for me personally there is no up side.. i wont go into my rants about it.. I guess im turning into that old guy that likes the stuff from the past.. Nooooooo

JamalS13 likes this.
  8. Rygar

Actually went and saw that Mazdaspeed I linked a few posts up. Beauty. Having a shop check it over Monday.

9. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

I'm not sure....I like new AND old cars, but I see where you are coming from Ben. I don't think all, but I agree that some new cars have interiors as you say, and I find a lot of new cars have TOO many options, which a lot of people call me crazy for. I don't need Bluetooth this and voice control that and a touch-screen controlled climate control system. Give me power windows / locks / mirrors (and even then, I am perfectly content with manual windows locks....I do like power mirrors for parking though...), cruise control and an Aux. Input on the stereo, and I am golden! :)

"Cheap and cheerful" I guess, haha!

Speed Stick likes this.
  10. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Haa haa we all like old cars! there is some brain thing that makes us want old cars, that is until I drive them! The huge A-pillars I remember initially felt rediculous and I couldn't see anything, I got used to it pretty fast though. The Focus is just as well put together as the Celsior is, its a little nicer in some parts, but the plastics are mostly soft touch in nicer cars now, really quality stuff. I haven't even been in new luxury cars to see how nice they are, I was in my brothers 2010 A5 and it was pretty slick I must say.

The bluetooth integrated handsfree is super nice, it works so well in the Focus, much better then the aftermarket I have in my truck, once you get one of those, you can't go back to anything else.

the touchscreen satnav and climate control I could do without thats for sure, and maybe the Radio sat nav is not necessary either, but its nice, some cars are better then others.

Cars are just super expensive, they make them even more expensive as there is 8yr financing avaliable now, there are so many young guys with 60k+ trucks fully optioned out here on 8yr financing. I'm sure they'll last doing 8yrs in the oil patch! mwahhaha! then again some of those guys work 12hr+ shifts for like 20days straight, they can straight up buy the truck in a few months, its pretty shocking, my new job at the oil and gas place they tell me all the time like its totally common, I'm still alarmed at the day rate people can get.

Speed Stick likes this.
  11. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

The main reason I am not a fan of new cars is cost. I personally don't ever buy anything I can pay for up front (other than my house). The thought of buying a car and financing it for 6 years only to have it worth a fraction of the original purchase price at the end of that term makes me sick. No thanks.
    I'll stick to owning 15 year old cars that I can drive for a few years and then sell at close to what I bought it for.

Speed Stick likes this.
  12. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

X2.. thats what i do.. worked for me up till now.. the sad thing is, one day these new cars that i dont really like are going to be 15 years old and im going to have to get one..

Speed Stick likes this.
  13. Speed Stick

Speed Stick The Halifax kid

I agree with you there. I much rather just pay cash for a vehicle a just buy the odd bit for it once in a while. Instead of a $500 car payment I just have two completely paid off older vehicles and put that $500/month as extra on my mortgage principle instead, that's $6k a year extra! Really adds up.

I just picked up this 2004 Subaru Forester XT. Factory manual. Got a really good deal on it here in Halifax, actually the guys roommate that bought my wrx so I got first crack at it. 240k on it though but runs well and shifts perfect! Isn't rusted out either! Was a gravel road vehicle. Paint is really rough but its all stock except short shifter and the guy who I just bought it from recently installed wrx struts with tein wrx lowering springs.... I've got brand new springs and struts ordered so it won't be a low rider forester for much longer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Fully loaded too! Cruise, leather heated seats, massive moonroof. Might make a thread on it.

14. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greg and JamalS13 like this.
  15. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Nice Tacoma! Looks pretty menacing with those big rims / mud tires! What year? Looks like it's in pretty good shape! I thought I had read somewhere that there were rust issues on a lot of that generation?

16. Silence*

Silence* Shhh.

So my sister managed to blow up the '02 Exploder this past summer and my RSX spent some time in the bodyshop getting repaired and then sold, so I've been driving my dad's '98 Explorer for the last 8 months.

[​IMG]

But thats only cause the '01 325i I bought after the RSX had a blown engine (found out after I bought it, maybe I'll make a thread later).

[​IMG]

17. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

How's the engine swap coming?

18. Silence*

Silence* Shhh.

Its been done and running for a few weeks now actually. I'm just riding out the rest of winter while finishing up a few minor things and before getting it OPI'd. There's not a spec of rust or damage anywhere on this thing so I'm having a bit of a hard time with the idea of winter driving it lol.

19. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Thanks! Big 16" rims :p It is a 2004, you are correct the first gen tacomas had rusty frames, luckily I knew this when I got it so I looked it over well and it doesn't seem that bad. I also stripped the frame/repainted it and it still looks good, but like the Evo I will be keeping an eye on it :p

dagleykd likes this.
  20. Rygar

Ditched my 05 Mazda3 for a 2010 Mazdaspeed3. Will hold on to that until it wears out or until I get sick of the never ending list of failing parts.