What else do you drive?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by magnavahn, Jun 24, 2013.

1. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Yeah, $30K for a Mazda 3 is insanely expensive....

This probably sounds like blasphemy (I'm not a 'fan-boi', I'm just with Kingsoup - anything decently built and reliable gets my vote, except GM), but have you looked into any of the recent Hyundais or even Kias, like the Forte, or Elantra or Elantra GT? The new Kia Forte is actually a very nice car and Hyundai/Kia has jumped LEAPS and BOUNDS in recent years in terms of quality and fit and finish. Best friend of mine has a '10 Forte and he's never had any issues with it at all. I've driven it once or twice, decent power, good build quality, and a reasonable price, plus a surprising amount of stuff as standard.

Like I said, not a 'fan-boi', but I guess I am a little biased as I've never had any issues with my '09 Accent either, although the one I have is definitely a base model...everything plastic interior, yes, but it's well put together. I miss my old Impreza though, but I imagine even a base model Impreza would be fairly expensive too if you went to look into those....good cars though, although the latest-gen is a bit bland styling-wise to me.

2. trev

trev New Member

We have 1-newish vehicle just for reliability, practical, moving the family around etc.

I see no point in buying brand new though. I'd sooner have half a dozen toys on hand at any given time that I've picked up out of Japan for peanuts. :)

3. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Amen to that man! Just wish I had the 'peanuts' to do the picking out from Japan right now! ;) :(

My old Impreza and my current Accent were both bought used though!

4. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

I agree with Trev for sure.. the only reason we have the 2007 ford focus is cause my wife bought it before she met me.. and she doesnt want to sell it.. (Which is fine) but once its gone, only 15 year old cars will live at my house..

I dont understand buying new.. but i guess its comforting for people that have no interest in doing any work on the car, they are the people that get the dealership to change the wiper blades..

I take comfort in knowing i haven't spend 30k on a car thats worth 10 after i take it off the lot.. anyone that tries to argue that a 5 year warranty on a 30k car is a good deal, dont make me laugh. I can spend 7k on a used 15 year old car, that prolly has more/better power options then your new car, and in 5 years never come close to spending 23k on maintenance. heck i might as well buy a full parts car to go with it. and still be saving money

ok this rant is going to long..
    OVer

5. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

:\ People have different means. Some people don't understand why someone would buy new cars. Others don't understand shopping for new clothes when a thrift store has great stuff for the whole family for a fraction of the price (all of it will wear out just as quick anyway). Then there are people who don't understand having steak for dinner when a bulk box of mac n cheese fills you up just as well.

$30k amortized over 4-5 years of owning a car isn't that big of a deal compared to all kinds of frivolous spending people do.

6. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Bottem line, everyone does what they want.

LoL..

However I want to Judge.. so I do.

lenglish likes this.
  7. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

8. pitty

The usual. BMW thoughts: great. BMW off warranty thoughts: not so great. Price is a bit on a high side for an '09, but I don't know your market.

9. Rygar

Price seemed reasonable for what I've seen from dealers here in the last few months. I'd likely talk another $1000 off that. 10,000/6 month powertrain warranty...better than nothing, I guess.

10. silent112

silent112 Ryan

I've always disliked how some BMW's were soo complicated and cluttered with buttons, like I don't need my seat to move 16 ways, I think a 2, or 3 way seat is good enough. I've noticed that honda's seemed to have stayed really simple in terms of buttons and user friendliness.
    Another thing is if it's really expensive to build a car then when you buy parts for it down the road, they will still be pricey parts.
    The only car that I would consider buying new would be the new FRS/BRZ, I haven't driven one yet but I can tell I wouldn't be disappointed.

I think most new BMW's and Mercs on the road are either status symbols saying look at how rich I am, or it's like wearing a fancy suit or watch but you drive it instead of wearing it.
    .. To stay on topic of "what else I drive" : I now have a subaru wagon.

11. Lethbridge_man

Lethbridge_man New Member

Being married to an Asian means...she will ONLY drive something new. It's like its culturally ingrained. So she drives a Kia Soul while I drive older, far more interesting Japanese imports. But I really can't sing the Soul's praises high enough. It's an amazing vehicle. We have hauled SO much stuff in that hatch! It's incredibly quiet (especially when compared to a certain mid-engined car :| ), it's very efficient, it's very comfortable to drive over long distances, and it's very, very safe! This is her second - the first one she spun and rolled on the highway this spring. And walked away unscathed. She literally slid down the highway upside down and into the ditch, and there was nothing wrong with her. It has those funky pulsating speakers! In addition - it is the easiest vehicle I have ever serviced. Oil changes in the Soul and the AZ-1 are planets apart...

And after having a Smart - I can honestly say I will never own a German automobile again. They are wonderful for the first couple of years - when they are under warranty - but make sure you have DEEP pockets after that honeymoon phase is over. We are truly spoiled with our JDMs.

12. Rygar

My 2005 Mazda 3 is the 'what else I drive', but I've been looking for a while to replace it and still am not sure what to replace it with. Having an Evo has spoiled, to some degree, a daily driver's meagre performance!
    The new Mazda 3s are very nice, but quite expensive for what you're getting (i.e. everything but performance). That's why I checked out the BMW, which is also nice but you guys and your horror stories ;)
    I can't imagine it is much worse than a 16 year old car!

13. pitty

When $22k buys you a new Fiesta ST, I wouldn't be looking to spend it on a washed up entry level yuppie carriage like a 328.

14. Lethbridge_man

Lethbridge_man New Member

I'll go out on a limb here and say that our cars are still better! And don't even get me started on the oh-so-lovely dealership experiences that await you should you ever decide to step foot in such an establishment.

One new car that I really like is the new Nissan Micra. And nowadays you can buy slightly used Chevrolet Volts for really decent prices. Supposedly it is the most over-engineered GM car ever made... (Yes, I realise "over-engineered" and "GM" should never be used in the same sentence - context is everything!)

15. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

New car makes a lot more sense in a desperatly painful winter province like AB. If you break down on BC coast, oh well, just wait for the tow. You break down here in the middle of winter at -30c or better in a less populated place, you could die, straight up. That is part of the reason people have new cars here. Also, I've driven some of the very best 15yr old cars, they simple do not compare to newer cars, they don't. I also need 1 totally reliable car to get to work in or for my wife to feel safe in (again driving around in hellish winter) new cars are expensive, until the day you're driving through some nightmare snowstorm on the 8hr drive to Peace River for Xmas, in the middle of nowhere at -28c when suddenly a new, totally reliable car makes absolute sense (as well as those pricey snow tires you got) (60k trucks on the other hand, hmmmm, unless you live in a remote place or have to drive a lot up north, then sure whatevs, top quality new truck in hellish winter, makey a lot of sense real quick!!)

What I don't get is paying huge extra for a status car. Like a Super nice Hyundai Sonata or Ford Fusion is say 35k, similar BMW or Merc with no more features or quality is like 50k, *scratches head*

People who have families, busy jobs and a lot of hobbies too, even if they are mechanics, don't have time for repairs on older cars all the time, new cars make sense in this way.
    15yr old awesome cars are Great for a 2nd car, but I would never go without a newer car anymore. (it was the day all 3 of my cars broke at the same time and I had to get to work, I said "forget this, its new car time")

Kia/Hyundai make super nice cars now, great designs, top notch quality, good pricing, if I could convince myself to take on another monthly payment, I'd just get like a Genesis coupe 3.8 and sell my RHD, but hard to justify that value when I mostly bike to work!

16. Rygar

A 'like-new' ;)
    And good luck finding one of those around here.

17. pitty

I honestly wouldn't even want one new, if you just glance at the BMW communities and look at all the things that people have had break on E90s as soon as "on delivery". For some folks it's okay when you're warrantied, and every time an electrical glitch surfaces, you bring the car to the dealer and get an identical loaner while they take a week to figure out what went wrong and replace it. Off warranty, it's all on you, and therein lies the reason why the price on these cars plummets when they run out of their factory coverage (which often coincides with the expiration of the original lease term).

Finding one of what, a Fiesta? Dealers here have the '14 STs on the floor for 21 with change... I figured if you like the 3, but yearn for performance, an ST hatch (either a Fiesta or a Focus) is right up your alley. Both make the 328 feel oh so laughable in the "fun to drive" department.

18. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

This makes total sense to me. I've been broke down twice in my old Subaru, both times in cold ass winter. I was privileged enough with each occasion to do the 'push-of-shame' to get my car out of the intersection. My wife drives a new Mitsubishi outlander and I get pretty jealous come -30. I've looked at so many options for newish and there's nothing I really want so bad that I want to make payments. I think about a new Subaru STi or Golf R somedays, but I love the payment free lifestyle. That and I hate the looks of the new STi.

The fiesta or focus ST sounds like an alright second car. Nothing beats sliding around in an AWD in our 6 month long winter though. How about this?

19. grayhamwiebe

grayhamwiebe New Member

I bought a new car last year (2013 Nissan Juke AWD) for the the reasons kingsoup has mentioned. Living in Winnipeg we get a slightly worse version of what AB gets (or so I've been told by a co-worker) is bad enough without having to deal with something breaking. Plus I hate having to work on cars out in the cold, when taking your gloves off means instant pain. Also when starting to consider starting a family in the next couple of years, reliability and safety suddenly become way more important. A friend of mine is an autobody mechanic and he explained to me once how much safer a car is today then it was even just 3 years ago. I used to think I would never own a new car, but now I own one and haven't regretted it yet.

20. Rygar

Yeah I meant the Fiesta. I will have a peek, but if anything they'll be more than their 25,000 msrp around here.