What else do you drive?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by magnavahn, Jun 24, 2013.

1. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

[​IMG]

2011 VW Jetta TDI

Stage 2 tune, 3"downpipe, full exhaust, coilovers, 18x8 miro wheels

Makes around 200hp/340lb-ft

Daily driven, still great on fuel, cant complain :)

2. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Of the many in the fleet, this is my best daily.
    2012 Focus Titanium, sport suspension, 18's with 235/40/18's, its a great car, super mileage, good power, good suspension, reliable, A/C, all the stuff.

[​IMG]

3. Braden

Braden New Member

Updated picture of the ol' SM. Made some changes over winter/summer. Mmm, bugs.
    [​IMG]

4. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

A friend of mine has a Focus like yours, but his is in Silver...great car! He had a 2003 Focus hatch before that in Silver as well! :)

Nice bike Braden...are those front turn signals aftermarket?

5. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Cool Supermoto! do you end up driving it much? I find it hard to figure out when to ride my bike, should get more use then it does!

The Focus is pretty nice! they really took a big step forward in this newer generation, there is very little I can complain about in that car, maybe the microsoft sat nav touch screen, I dont like it very much, and sometimes the DCT auto gets confused about what gear its in, it could use paddle shifters, but as a car, power is really good, suspension tuning is such a great combination of firm and comfort, the anti-understeer traction control thing I try not to ever hit, but if you're in a real hurry to make a corner, it gives that FWD car zero understeer, its a crazy feeling, its virtual limited slip diff also works pretty well in the snow.

Other then not being that fast, most of the RHD cars I've gotten since the Focus have had a lot to live up too.

6. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

I've got an 05 Mazda 3 (the Rusty Years). I am on the verge of buying a 2014 Mazda 3, sooo nice.

7. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Those damn poor Mazda paint jobs, all the Protege5's had that problem too, embarassing for a japanese manufacturers.

8. Rygar

I think it was 03 or 04 to the redesign in 09 all of them had rust issues. Stupid Ford.

Krown Rust Control worked great on mine, I recommend it to everyone after that.

9. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

I still undercoat my cars in Alberta after a long time in Ontario, even if the salting isn't as bad out here.
    I always notice the Protege's and 3's with the rust now that my friend alerted me to the problem on his 02 protege, just goes to show how import cars aren't as perfect as I once though.
    Heck I even own 2 domestics now, never thought I'd see the day!

10. Rygar

Supposedly these problems are all fixed. If I get a 14 and it rusts in a year I'll be driving it through their showroom :)

IMPUL likes this.
  11. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Ghost-ride it through said showroom. Blame it on manufacturer defect.

12. Rygar

"I was stomping the brakes officer, but the brakes have probably rusted through!"

13. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

I like how mazda's drive, but I don't like the way I see that company make cars, at least in the 90's. I did lots of work on 323,626,929, Millenia, Probe and all of them were made cheaply and with stupid one off components, wierd designs, hard to service, then I see this rust control problem. I mean, every single manufacturer has problems, all of them (sweet jesus I have a pair of Fords) but Mazda, I dunno! Some really nice cars in competition with the Mazda 3 these days, I would check out a Focus with sport suspension in comparison for your shopping purposes. Performance wise the only other car that has IRS and is close is probably a VW, the new 1.8T Golf comes to mind.

14. Rygar

Buy a Ford? I think I am going to have to run that through Google translator ;)

IMPUL likes this.
  15. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Whoever is making the best car for the best money gets my vote, I try not to exclude any manufacturer, especially since I've had lots of problems with the many Japanese cars I've owned, except GM, I exclude them based on their corporate culture of lies and greed.

16. Rygar

Not a bad attitude. After you buy a car and have to deal with their service depts anyway, they're pretty much all the same group of vultures.

17. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Dealerships are bad...especially northern alberta, they make so much money, they treat us all like dirt after the sale. The focus has done 55,000km with no problems so far, build quality is top notch. Thing is that of course Ford, chevy and Chrysler CAN make top quality cars, its just if they determine the market they're selling in is worthy of something that costs more to build, or they will accept a low quality machine (Cobalt, Cavalier, old Hyundai's etc).

They kept selling the old Focus platform from like 99-2011 as it kept the car cheap, meanwhile in Europe where small cars are the rage, they were producing a top quality Focus (same goes for Golf etc which they actually sell here) So you get a Focus that is made to a really high standard, with non-economy car stuff as thats what the european market demands, really nice smaller cars.
    Apparently the 2.0 Focus is underrated and dyno 170hp (rated 160hp) people dyno 200hp flywheel with header/exhaust/intake and a bit more with a Tune, not bad!!

Even my 02 F150, which you'd think would be a giant piece of old american Garbage is actually not bad at all, built decently well, some smart ideas in there, and has been pretty reliable with 265,000kms on it, I would never have guessed that about the truck before I got it. (a Tacoma or Titan is like 2x or 3x the price used)

A big wide world of options out there for us to enjoy! I used to despise VW until I got a chance to drive a bunch of them, really nice cars!

18. Rygar

I hear you. I am in love with the new Mazda 3 one minute and then disgusted by the price the next! I think the sales guy is getting frustrated with how often I'm there and asking questions and not buying, which doesn't really concern me but anyway. 29k after tax is used GTI territory...

19. silent112

silent112 Ryan

I wouldn't buy a nissan Titan, their tranny's blow up if you tow a lot or put a supercharger on it, some of the CVT's in the altima's run into issues after a while (luckily my dad's was under warranty - $1500 parts alone) some VW's are actually nice yeah, the diesel jetta's get really good mileage if you're into that.
    If the mazda 3 is 29K with tax, what about FRS/BRZ?
    Also the Civic's look really good in Dyno Blue (they look better in person then on google) and the model I would get is about 23,7xx before tax roughly. has alloy wheels, heated seats and sunroof. The engines always run forever.

20. Rygar

The FRS is a car I was looking at, I'm just not sure how practical they are for a DD.

They should be showing up more and more used, and in 6 months the 2014 Mazdas will be showing up used as well.

I put the purchase on hold as I couldn't really justify spending almost 30 grand on a Mazda 3.