Want to buy a OBD2 scanner.....advice and opinions?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by skylinetimes, Jan 3, 2015.

1. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

Hey all, I want the ability to scan for my own codes....what is a good product out there that won't be very expensive?

2. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

I will start off by saying that I haven't tried this myself, but I had saved this thread hoping to go this route later:

http://goo.gl/7GopuL

3. grayhamwiebe

grayhamwiebe New Member

I used to use a cheap (ebay) obd2 -> usb cable and free software on my pathetic acer (which I no longer have) to check and reset codes on my wife's forester until it met an untimely end. I think it cost about $3, and testing out a ton of useless free programs before I found a decent one.

4. trev

trev New Member

Princess auto when they go on sale 50% off or ebay

IMPUL likes this.
  5. RyanV

RyanV Member

What about that data logging Android type thing Soren had rigged up on this Aristo? Would that be able to read codes as well?

I don't remember what it's actually called, but if you search I'm sure you can find it. He posted it up on this forum I believe.

6. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Do you want to scan on Skyline?
    I have OBD2 port on my 1999 Nissan Gloria and while connector itself OBD2-shape compatible but actual signal interface is not OBD2 (it is Nissan Consult interface).
    So, standard options like Bluetooth ELM327 + TorquePro doesn't work.

You need some scanner which supports Nissan Consult interface. I found couple Android apps which supports its and was able to read codes when I had issues with my coil packs.

7. silent112

silent112 Ryan

I like my elm327 that I bought from amazon with torque app. I haven't found a JDM car that it works on. It works great on usdm cars tho. Still worth buying

8. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Let me know if it is for a nissan ...
    I have a few options for you if it is..
    There are cheap china readers that come with free nissan datascan mini cd. Its like$14 on ebay . You just plug in to the consult port and then plug into your laptop or pc device and run the program. It will bring up and erase any codes and show you all the engine reading in real time.

I had to modify the consult connector for a better fit but other then that it works.

Look up nissan datascan tool or consult II reader.

For a more elborate tool you can use "ECUTalk"

9. IanB

IanB New Member

I bought a Autel Maxidiag MD802 scanner on sale at Princess Auto, and then realized that my '99 MB E55 does not have an OBD2 port when I went to try it out, just the MB 38-pin connector under the hood. So I bought the 38-pin adapter, and can now read and clear codes myself.

The moral of the story is, depending on what vehicle you're looking to scan, there may be a specific route you'll need to go to accomplish this. It's not always as easy as '96+ = OBD2 like we're used to with North American vehicles.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  10. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

I found couple apps which work on JDM Nissan Gloria with ELM327, both of these apps are Russian made but have English interface

This one is specifically for JDM Nissan: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scobasoft.econtool
    This one should support JDM Toyota, Nissan and maybe others https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hobdrive.android

silent112 and trev like this.
  11. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

I've got a chance to use scanner Autel MaxiDAS DS708 (it is discontinued now, there is newer model DS808) for several days and can confirm that it can read codes, live data from JDM vehicles. I've tried couple Toyotas and Mitsubishi and it works.
    It is pretty expensive (~$1000 on Amazon), now I'm wondering if smaller cheaper versions of Autel scanners can read JDM.

12. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

scangauge II