USDM vehicles for sale in Japan

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by VanMike, Jan 22, 2017.

1. VanMike

VanMike New Member

Has anyone ever looked into purchasing a vehicle from a Japanese auction that was built for the USDM market? I often see vehicles listed at auctions of brands that are not (to my knowledge) sold in Japan and that have USDM 17 digit VINs. In such cases, is it possible to bring a vehicle back to North America despite being less than 15 years old?

2. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Best case from what I've heard. No. They don't care that it's from the NA market. They just care they it's there and not eligible.

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

It is doable, and people have done it. It needs to have all the original stickers to prove it was manufactured for the North American market. However, if you happen to get a CBSA agent that doesn't know or doesn't care, you could end up having to ship the car out or it gets crushed or whatever. To me, it's too big of a risk. If it's over 15 years old you don't have any of that risk.

4. Mark - Brave Auto

Mark - Brave Auto JDM Auction Agent/Exporter

You can import any US or Canadian manufactured vehicle of any age as long as the vehicle is not modified in any way and is exactly how it left the factory when new.

The catch is – you have to prove to Canadian customs that the vehicle is as it left the factory before they will allow it to enter the country.

I have been here with customers in the past and we (both customers and I) have learned the hard way.

The long and short of it – there are 1,000's and 1,000's of US/Canadain vehicles in Japan and the manufacturers in Canada do not want them showing up in Canada from here. So to play fair/game they say "yes you can import it as long as it is the same as it left the factory" but to stop you they then say "prove it to us" and this is a very hard thing to prove and they know this and use it to make life super difficult and not financially doable.

5. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Mark - So as soon as the Japanese add their required (right?) fender turn signals, it's no longer 'from the factory', correct?

6. Mark - Brave Auto

Mark - Brave Auto JDM Auction Agent/Exporter

This will give you an idea of the bull.......

Customs - has the vehicle got the original factory front & rear bumpers installed.
    Customer – yes.
    Customs – please prove it to us.
    Customer – how would you like us to prove it to you.
    Customs – we need written proof from Ford or Chevrolet that the bumpers are the genuine ones.
    Customer – I cannot get this from Japan, I can only get this from the manufacturer in the US or Canada.
    Customs – OK, please get a letter from them.
    Customer – They need to inspect the vehicle in person to confirm the bumpers are original and not modified. I can either have the vehicle delivered to a local shop or maybe I can have an inspector from the local shop go to port to check.
    Customs – until the vehicle is customs cleared the vehicle cannot leave the port nor can it be inspected there.
    Customer – so how do I get it checked to confirm what you need.
    Customer – that is your problem, you need to prove it to us before we will grant clearance.

And if you think it ends just with the bumper.

Customs – has the vehicle got the original factory full exhaust system and the emissions are within spec.
    Customer – you are trucking kidding me.

7. shok

shok SpaceMan

Thanks for the info Mark. I have always wondered about this. You are a wealth of knowledge.

8. Wolfd89

Wolfd89 Last in, first out

Here's what you do. It's foolproof!

1. Import Car

2. Steal car from docks(it's yours so not really stealing)

3. Find same make and model.(can be done before step one and two)

4. Swap any and all VIN tags to Clean well maintained USDM vehicle.

5. chop old car up and bury in back yard(recommend you do this at night also)

Tip: place layer of lime over remains to throw off Customs JDM sniffer dogs of the trail.

When customs/RCMP come knocking produce legitimate transfer papers for old car. Make sure any and all Stickers have been removed from your new ride.