tperkins' 2004 Toyota Tacoma (non JDM content)

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Oct 13, 2015.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

This is the last year of this generation, the year after they gained some weight :p

I can't imagine I paid more than what those rigs cost, but I got a good deal. Bought it 12 hours after it was posted on Kijiji.

2. tperkins

[​IMG]
    Caved and put the summer tires back on.

Finally found a tool box:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are on sale right now at Lowes, regular price is 530$ for both, on sale for 249$. Quality seems fine, drawers slide nicely, doesn't come with drawer liner so that is an extra 20$. I will be watching for socket trays to go on sale.

lenglish likes this.
  3. tperkins

Last weekend I decided to replace the CV axle that has had a cracked boot for like the past 22,000km that finally split.

Lets start at the beginning. A while ago, like, say..... 7-8 months? My front diff started leaking oil from the passenger side axle seal. At this point I ordered enough seals (inner and outer) and axles to do both sides and get it over with. Parts come in, I was strapped for time so I did the side that was leaking and moved on thinking I will get around to the other side at a later date (after hunting season). Fast forward to last weekend, finally had some free time!

So, I take things apart, remove the seal, and it is not the one that I have in the box (even though the part number on the box is for the correct seal.) Aggravated, I drove my car up to work and left the truck.

This morning I got the new parts (ordered 2 of everything for the side lacking seals and 2 inner seals for the other side) and again, one box that was supposed to be for the part number of the driver's side contained the seal for the passenger side... so now I have 4 of those and only 1 of the one I needed. All well and good apart from not having the proper tools to set a seal, using a block of wood, lightly tapping little by little, then suddenly the seal plants itself just a couple millimeters too deep with only a light tap. Now I am just hoping it stays sealed and I can forget about the whole experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't take any pictures of the finished product, well, because I forgot.

4. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

Frig, I hope it's AYC is easier to drain and fill than it is to work on the CV axles.

5. tperkins

The work itself is very easy, finding parts is the hard part :p

(I just need to find out how to AYC the truck and I am golden)

6. tperkins

[​IMG]

Lame ass tires on, also noticed that my CV boot with like 20,000km on it is leaking grease from the center of a boot. Oh, and my ABS speed sensor on the right side has died (I think I killed it when I was changing the CVs, might have broke a wire pulling on the hub assembly too hard, basically something gave loose and allowed for more play, but I couldn't see what broke, didn't think anything of it but when I put it all back together and started driving my abs light came on. I was hoping I had just broke the connector or a wire that would be easily visible, but everything looked fine.)

7. tperkins

Did some things today, installed Timbrens, replaced the worn out shocks that came with the lift for some OME ones, started on replacing the rear drums / shoes but ran out of sunlight.

Old shocks (were white, turned rust, painted black. Both leaked, neither were working at all.)
    [​IMG]

Timbren install was simple, maybe took 1.5 hours per side including the shocks.
    Start by replacing the old bump stop plates.
    [​IMG]
    Parts in the box for one side
    [​IMG]
    Top plate goes in, need to fish a nut on the stud inside the Timbren (basically, big bump stop), then you just align it as best you can and tighten all the biz.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Which involves lowering one side of the axle so there is room to tighten that hidden little nut we seen earlier.
    [​IMG]
    And taking out too many tools so that you have every fitment option covered.
    [​IMG]

8. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Am I seeing like... seven different socket turning tools in that last photo?

9. tperkins

I count 6, not pictured is the 1/4" ratchet driver, my mid sized 1/2" ratcheting breaker bar, and my 1/2" 18v impact gun which I also had out.

10. tperkins

Finished up the rear drums, they're actually very simple as you might expect given the tech involved. The old shoes were very near minimum spec, but they probably didn't need to be done right now, mostly I just ordered them because I ordered front brakes, am sitting at 240,000km on the factory drums/shoes, and was taking the rear apart for the timbrens and shocks anyways, and since the new shoes / hardware kit were surprisingly cheap.

[​IMG]
    That green spring was the hardest part of the job, it was a pain in the ass.
    [​IMG]
    New drums came unpainted and were just bare metal, probably helps explain why they were so cheap. Prepped and painted them with POR15 direct to metal top coat yesterday. I also anti-seized the axle hub before installing the drums.
    [​IMG]
    All buttoned up:
    [​IMG]

I have kind of gotten behind on the maintenance on this truck since I lost the garage, plus I have always been up in the air about selling it so sinking money into good shocks, timbrens, brakes still within spec have hit the back burner. Next on the docket is replacing a front diff seal (I have gotten that down to like a 45 minute job), replacing the rotors and pads, and replacing a wheel speed sensor that recently died.

11. tperkins

Today I noticed a significant puddle of gear oil from the front diff, luckily I had a new one so I went ahead and changed it. That part of the job probably I have down to 35-45 minutes. After that, I changed the ABS sensor, which was a pain. Turns out the one that was in there didn't want to come out, so I mutilated it.
    [​IMG]
    I then went to change the brakes, since I was there anyways, and found that the rotors I had ordered won't work, which is sad because they looked bad ass.

They looked identical side by side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But, they wouldn't work.
    [​IMG]

I then changed the oil, replaced the clutch reservoir fluid (which is suggested on these trucks), and topped up the gear oil which had leaked out. The worst part of that job is always dealing with the stupid skid plate. These Amsoil pumps are the best thing ever. I also had to lift the back of the truck because of the slanted driveway, and put a level on the frame. Good enough.
    [​IMG]

Racecar oversaw all of the progress.
    [​IMG]

12. tperkins

Got some replacement rotors in, been waiting for a good opportunity to install them, and today was the day.
    [​IMG]
    And, it turns out I am stupid! (I blame working out in the driveway in the cold) I was looking at the Hawk rotors beside the factory ones and decided once again that there was no reason why they shouldn't work.
    [​IMG]

What happened was that the new pads (top) have an inner and outer, where as all the pads I have ever used in these trucks do not (bottom). So, when I opened the package, I grabbed two that were packaged together, tried to put them in, and the bottom of the outside brake pad (which was supposed to be installed on the other side on the inside) was making contact with the rotor and I didn't notice. Last time that I did this I put the pads in while the caliper was unbolted and tried to then bolt the caliper on. Today I put the rotor on, then used lug nuts to hold it flush, then bolted the caliper on and slid the pads in, while I was doing that I noticed I couldn't get the outer pad to slide in far enough which had me take a look at the pads and notice that there were inner and outers. So, problem solved, and now I have spare rotors. Again, last time I was trying this in the cold, in the driveway, in the dark, so lets blame that :p
    [​IMG]
    You can see that the inside pad on the outside position would make contact with the caliper (don't worry, I lubricated those rubbers :p )
    [​IMG]
    Other side done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

During bedding in I noticed these brakes get spongey, so I don't know if it is my fluid, my rotors and pads, or a combination of all of the above (I never tried 7-8 consecutive hard stops on the old rotors/pads). The first 3-4 hard stops after bedding them in for sure stop a lot faster than the old ones , but they sure get spongey on stops 5+. Further, the braking front/rear bias seems much more reliant on the front brakes than before. I would say before it felt 60/40 (as expected), now it feels 70/30.. which I am not sure I like.

13. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

When is the AYC being installed?

14. tperkins

Same time as my 4G63.

15. tperkins

Timbrens doing work
    [​IMG]
    Before Timbrens:
    [​IMG]

I guess now is as good as ever to give impressions on the timbrens. I don't care for them really for day to day, with only like 1" of travel until the axle hits the timbren it really harshened the ride of the truck on the highway. In hindsight, I should have just spent the extra money and got airbags. That being said, the truck rides a lot better with them and the quad in the back.
    [​IMG]
    The cheap CV axles I bought came apart and wrecked the diff seals on both sides. I am getting pretty fast at replacing them now, once I got all the right tools out the second side only took me 25 minutes from taking the tire off to putting it back on after replacing the seals. I left those little dust things off and am getting the axles warrantied.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  16. IanB

IanB New Member

My brother put airbags in the rear of his '05 Tundra, with 10psi it turned it into a cloudcar, super smooth, none of the jittery, jarring that comes with a leaf spring rear and an empty box "truck" ride, also acted like he'd added beefed up swaybars, all positives in the handling and ride quality categories. When he tows his big HD tent trailer with an ATV deck on the front, onboard water, etc, he airs up the bags to like 80psi, and it handles the load very nicely. Sorry to hear the timbrens didn't deliver the same way.

17. tperkins

Now I know! I have never tried them or knew anyone who did really. Next time I would do airbags.

18. tperkins

Chasing the Timbren issues again today, I decided to add a leaf spring into the leaf pack and get a little more clearance between the timbren and the perch before they make contact. As it stood I had like 3/4"-1" of clearance (depending on the fuel level) between the leaf and the timbren and it made for a really jarring ride.
    Custom made springs, I measured the massive helper spring toyota puts in these trucks and just made it a little smaller, all very technical and mathematical as I was aiming for 1" of lift.
    [​IMG]
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    One side mid way, you can see those little pucks at either end of the leaf spring... surprisingly hard to track down.
    [​IMG]
    Gap before:
    [​IMG]
    Gap after:
    [​IMG]

And since that only really took a couple hours to do, I noticed the ugly rust, and took those spots down to metal and re-POR15'd the whole frame again and that's why I am posting this at 1:35am.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see my mathematical guesswork was right on the money. At first it was closer to 1 3/4", but I jumped in the box for a while to try and settle the suspension and this is what it came out with, a little over 1". It doesn't look much different, or look funny, it was sitting pretty flat before and now it has a little rake.
    [​IMG]

So, by saving 150ish$ on the Timbrens over the airbags, I just had to spend another 90$ on these leaf springs and everything to get it to be okay to drive. Should have done less work and just done airbags, to re-iterate. Although, I really do like the way the truck drives with timbrens and the quad in the back, and I needed an excuse to cover the horrible looking rust spots.

IanB likes this.