tperkins' 2004 Toyota Tacoma (non JDM content)

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Oct 13, 2015.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

I spent so much time on this truck this weekend I felt the need to share, mostly the truck is where I want it to be so nothing big in the future, I will probably just share pictures and that once in a while.

Spec: Stock, 3.5" lift (3" lift w/ "lift enhancer" spacers), 285/75/16 Bfgoodrich Mud Terrain KM2.

I have had the truck for a few years, mostly it has been good, the only issues have been due to the mechanics whom worked on it (waterpump leaked after the timing belt / water pump was changed). I have put about 100,000km on it in that time.

Here are some pictures of the truck doing truck stuff.
    Carrying things, hauling things, getting stuck in things, parking places.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tperkins

Some more:

[​IMG]
    Some seats I picked up to install in the truck, currently using them for gaming chairs.
    [​IMG]
    These might also be in the Evo thread:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. tperkins

The reason that I hated my life this weekend:

Painted my frame... for the second time. First time I did no research and used chassis paint, but not rust paint.
    First time (all the weight is on the jack stands, the hydraulic jacks are back up)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stripped frame this weekend:
    [​IMG]
    Rust.
    [​IMG]

It took forever. Wash frame twice, remove tires, grind frame, replace tires, drive to garage, change body mounts (ugh), wash frame, cleaner / degreaser on frame, wash frame, metal prep on frame, wash frame, paint frame (4 hours), wait 3 hours, paint frame (4 hours), wait 2 hours, paint the stuff that gets the most wear and tear a third coat. Replace tires, clean up 30+ hours of tools and shit everywhere. Paint in my ears, on my face, on my arms (through my coveralls).

Old mounts vs new. New are poly, so far they have made a difference; no more squeaks (which were driving me crazy), made the whole thing stiffer (less flex between the cab and the box), feels tighter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This bolt ruined me. I broke two actually, luckily I borrowed some off my friend's truck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notice the sick exhaust rust holes which gives it a nice sound
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bonus blinker fluid:
    [​IMG]

4. AgentJ17

AgentJ17 I'm an adult... man!

Sheesh. And I was thinking about pulling the cab and box off, stripping the frame, sandblasting it, then por-15 and paint on my truck. I've reconsidered.

5. tperkins

In all honesty I did it the lazy way, cleaned the top of the frame as best as I could reach but it was in pretty good condition so I wasn't overly concerned with that. It got some new paint over the old stuff. Most everything else you can reach with the cab and box on.

6. Garth

Garth Wat Chu Gone Do

i like your pics.

looks like u have had tons of fun with it.

7. tperkins

Thanks, mostly it is a hunting truck so occasionally I think "this is kinda neat" so I take a picture.

8. tperkins

These looked like shit.
    [​IMG]
    Replaced them. Spray can match wasn't perfect but it looks better than it did.
    [​IMG]
    Also I got this from @pitty which came with sweet stickers.
    [​IMG]
    Replaced this:
    [​IMG]
    Kind of failed:
    [​IMG]
    Got this from @mekazilla
    [​IMG]

9. tperkins

Might need air bags.
    [​IMG]
    Also, some pretty sweet exhaust happening.. it actually sounds not bad in the interior lol. I have a new walker factory style replacement on the way.
    [​IMG]

10. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

I used Timbrens on my ranger. One bolt each side and drive - though I eventually added a beefy sway bar and add-a-leafs in parallel.
    [​IMG]
    They'll affect your articulation though...

I always wish I would have replaced it with a Tacoma. These are sweet truck that are oblivious to depreciation. Love what you've done.
    Alas, with 3 kids my super crew makes more sense.

11. tperkins

Thanks! I will look into those Timbrens I have never heard of them. The only thing I had looked at were firestone's which are pricey now-a-days.

I definitely know what you mean. Even with just myself and enough stuff for elk camp for a week, the truck is absolutely packed. They would be next to useless for someone with kids. I have been considering replacing it with the newer generation of Tacoma and get a 4 door because of the space issue, to be honest.

As a side note the por15 has made washing the frame way faster. I used to have to sit there and spray for minutes on the same stuff that now takes seconds.

12. tperkins

Quick update. Installed the winter wheels.
    These tires have about 60,000 km on them, so I am happy with the tread life. Light truck, hard tire. I put them on at 134,000km and am at 212,000km. These tires have been on most of the time other than last winter for probably 10-15,000km.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I forgot how lame these look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bonus awesome exhaust video:
    https://flic.kr/p/BLxuAs

I also forgot how loud the BFGs are.. probably reduced road noise by 60-70% by going to a studded winter tire.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  13. RyanV

RyanV Member

It's just not the same truck :p

BFG's seem to last forever. They do get hard like you mentioned though and I guess that's part of the reason why they last so long. Also part of the reason why they start to suck when it gets cold out!

14. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

I like the non 'bro-ness' of your truck. 'Small' but still does truck things.

15. tperkins

I know, it looks so boring now. I also did other boring things when I changed the rusted out exhaust to a walker OEM style replacement. You can hardly hear anything anymore, so I guess that was the trend for the last couple of days.

These tires are the worst tires I have ever driven on in winter. Just, horrible.

Thanks! I agree... although sometimes I want to build a tube deck and lop of the extra frame beyond the leaf springs in the rear.

Old exhaust
    [​IMG]
    New exhaust
    [​IMG]
    New exhaust video... so boring.
    https://flic.kr/p/BhRJX8

16. tperkins

Here are some pictures from a summer trip to Jasper that I forgot to post:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The road to the Jasper hot springs made me wish I had my car, but I still drove spiritedly in my truck. It was an awesome road.
    [​IMG]
    There were these goats in the parking lot, they were licking my truck frame for salt I guess when I walked up and I had to shoo them away.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RyanV and lenglish like this.
  17. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Nice Truck man! Wow you took the time to paint the frame, you freaking love that thing! Its nice in Alberta that if you own a truck more then like 5 years own you hardly see any other ones on the road!

18. tperkins

Thanks! Yeah, there are a ton of Tacomas running around, but not many in this colour.

19. IanB

IanB New Member

Nice Taco, that must be the last year of that gen? I looked at Taco's briefly before finding my current HDJ81, they hold their value a bit TOO well for my tastes, lol.

20. RyanV

RyanV Member

LOL! The hair left on the side of the truck and the tire makes it look like you drove over a fuzzy creature :D

Ha! I did the same thing before I bought my HDJ81 too!