Mitsubishi tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Aug 21, 2018.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

50,000 km update:

[​IMG]

We did it. Still apart from not loving the cold it has been good to me. Noticed a torn CV axle when I changed the tires, so that sucks. Captive rotors, pain in the ass to change, have to remove wheel bearings and biz so I will do front rotors at the same time.

Also picked up this set of lights for cheap cheap. I was looking for round lights for the truck to be more period correct, but I really didn't know just how massive these lights were until I got them from my buddy (who had them on his old work truck).
    [​IMG]

Pajerist likes this.
  2. IanB

IanB New Member

I had Lightforce 170's on my Hilux Surf, they were awesome! Looks like you've got a set of 240's and either 170's or 140's there? The 240's are HUGE! There's HID conversions for them as well, very serious lights!

I've got Lightforce 215 LED knockoffs on my Land Cruiser now, they are unreal bright!

3. tperkins

Got all 4 for 100$ lol

IanB likes this.
  4. IanB

IanB New Member

The smaller ones are worth that alone used, great deal!

5. tperkins

[​IMG]

Update, at 129,000 km. Driving a lot less due to covid.

Still haven't gotten around to changing CV axles / brakes yet.

Ordered some brembo rotors and pads from rock auto as well as cardone CV axles. This will probably be a mistake 1-2 years down the road when I cuss out past Travis for this plan, but the CV axles were stupid cheap. Passenger side (the one that is ripped) was 200$ shipped, the drivers side (going to do at same time) was 34$ on rockauto as they were clearing the inventory.

Plan was to just put these in for the time being and order OEM rebuild kits for the OEM CV axles that are in there. Watched a couple videos and they looked like kind of a pain in the butt to re-build, so I didn't want to be stuck in a position of needing to successfully rebuild the CV before getting the truck on the road again.

Yes, that is a piece of tape covering a chip in my glass headlight.

Also didn't install all those lights, they are so big I am not sure if I will use two small ones.. two big ones, try and use all 4 somehow, or do nothing. I am finding I don't have a lot of motivation to mess around with the truck.

6. tperkins

[​IMG]

Felt cute, might delete later idk

IanB likes this.
  7. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

tperkins, what is your fuel consumption with these big tires compare to "normal"?

8. tperkins

In my tacoma going between aluminum wheels and 265/75/16 to 285 mud tires and steel wheels made zero difference to the fuel economy. In this, it certainly killed it by 2-3L/100.

Could be that the GDI at certain engine loads hits an ultra lean fuel burn cycle, Mitsubishi claims 30:1 to 40:1 in some of the literature, and now with these tires (92 lbs vs 56 lbs) it probably just never hits that low engine load. My average fuel mileage is around 13L/100km.

9. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Wow, that is far less than I expected! Though I got less for my diesel Pajeroes, your consumption is really impressing.

10. tperkins

With the stock tires I got 9.8L/100 out of a highway tank. Those were the days, but gotta look cool, yano?

11. tperkins

When I got the truck you may remember me detailing it, then ceramic coating. When I was doing that I noticed on the roof that there was some fade, at the time seemed like clear coat fade and came out cherry. Then I ceramic coated the rig and figured it was done with. Well, the last couple months my parking stall just bakes in the sun, and it has been raining like mad.

Well guess whose back!
    [​IMG]

I have a new polisher now, with better pads and biz so it looks a lot nicer than last time I did it... but I expect it will come back again.
    [​IMG]

Lightly wet sanded with 3000 grit some of the worse areas, then polished with a cutting compound, and followed that with a polish. After all that, I used some Sonax two stage ceramic coat... so we will see how it goes. Might have to start calling it patina soon.

12. tperkins

Spent most of my day Saturday catching up on the appearance of this rig.

Filled in some rock chips, washed it, applied a silicone sealer as a refresher for the Sonax, then went through vacuumed, little green machined
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Winters are sure hard on things.

Pajerist likes this.
  13. tperkins

[​IMG]

Did some broverlanding this weekend. And by that I mean drove down some roads to visit family in SK social distancing style. Somehow I managed to do it without a roof top tent or roof rack, zero auxilary lighting. What haters would tell you is impossible to do with an SUV with ample interior space.

While passing through a small town in central 'Berta some dude stopped me at the gas station and was complimenting the Pajero, and eventually said "my sister has one sitting at her house she probably is never going to do anything with and would like to sell." Gave me some directions and told me to stop in.

[​IMG]

Stopped in yesterday and need to figure out what to do with it. Frame is pretty rotten from sitting in that grass and being winter driven here for last 10 years. It is a 1993, has 230,000 km.. and really doesn't have a whole lot I would use. It ran until parked but a few months ago she tried to move it and it wouldn't start... but that said I am pretty sure she would take scrap pricing for it. It does have 5.28 gears which are pretty hard to come by, and if I was ever to make Pajero dedicated hunting rig those would be the gears to have. 2" body lift and I could spin 35's like it was nothing on stock power with my 5 speed.

Pajerist, OGHalo and IanB like this.
  14. IanB

IanB New Member

Hmmm, a parts truck is tempting, as long as you've got the room to stash it somewhere.

15. David Smith

David Smith New Member

man I would get it if the price is right. Looks to me like you probably have the room to store it. Who doesn't need a spare parts vehicle :)

16. tperkins

Yeah, I think it comes down to which parts could I actually use on my truck? And the answer is not a lot. It has a different engine and trans, most of the body panels aren't interchangable, my entire interior is in nicer shape.. the only thing I would want would be the gears.

To part it out takes up a huge amount of time and space, and Pajero / Montero owners are cheap.. shipping anything wouldn't be very likely.

I have space but also don't, for now I am just renting this place, might have to move and then have 4 vehicles to move, one of which doesn't run / drive would be a mess.

17. David Smith

David Smith New Member

Ahh I see. Well if there aren't many parts then I wouldn't. You're probably better off just looking for the gears themselves.

18. IanB

IanB New Member

If its just gears you see value in, then skip it IMO. You're right, it takes up a lot of space and parting out is a PITA, especially if there's a limited market for the parts.

19. tperkins

Had a bit of an incident last winter, while trying to use starting fluid had a backfire and exploded the honeycomb out of my MAF. Also noticed my fuel economy was poorer during winter which I attributed to.. winter things like idling when you live in a ittshay place and its always below -30.

Noticed honeycomb when I changed the air filter, proceeded to do nothing for a while until I felt like doing something about it, then replaced the MAF. I also noticed my fuel economy never really recovered, which I attributed to the change in driving I have been doing due to COVID.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wouldn't you know it, fuel economy improved. Mafs probably like when the air they are reading is reaching them in a manner they expect it to, and those fragile elements probably don't love explosions.

And then I caught a rock in my headlight.
    [​IMG]

Friend found a LHD set at wrecker in Calgary which are enroute. I also fluid filmed inside frame rails and underneath in preparation for winter.

20. RyanV

RyanV Member

Have you tried using something like Lamin-X over the headlights? I've been thinking about doing this with mine on the Land Cruiser once I put the Depo's in, but I'm not sure if the Lamin-X will actually help if there is a rock large enough to cause a fracture like that.

I also put some Fluid Film on my Land Cruiser last night :D