Mitsubishi tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Aug 21, 2018.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Next was addressing 4wd shifter. I could not for the life of me get it into 4 low, couldn't figure out how to do it, and so I got to reading and found a common issue with a bushing in the shifter deteriorating to nothing. Sure enough, mine was missing entirely, and only some chunks of the old one remained.

I needed to remove the shifter, which shouldn't have been a big deal.. but I guess I didn't read enough because I made quite the mistake.

[​IMG]
    It turns out that those "studs" aren't actually studs. So, when I removed the shifter, I noticed one dropped down a little bit. As quick and gently as I could I put nuts onto two of them, but when I touched the third one it just dropped and I heard a splash. Dropped a bolt right into the top of the transfer case.

[​IMG]
    So, getrag trans as far as I know, I don't know who to blame for this design. But I do blame myself as well.
    [​IMG]
    Guess which one fell.

I eventually got the bolt out, but talk about stress lol. I tried from the top with magnets to no avail. I removed the drain and fill bolts and searched around in there with magnets to no avail. Finally, I removed an inspection cover on the transfer case and it was sitting there right at the bottom. What a roller coaster, I was sure I was going to have to pull the t case.

[​IMG]

Of course I didn't have that gasket, and i went and tried to make a new gasket from felpro material I got from the store, but on a sunday without a punch I couldn't get the holes right without having burrs. I tried drilling them, then tried sandwiching the gasket between two boards and drilling through everything, still didn't really work. In the end I took the advice of people who have done this exact thing and just cleaned everything really well an used black permatex. A week later it is still bone dry so I would say that was successful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First look at where the bushing used to be, you can see chunks of red in this picture as well as the one showing the studs.
    [​IMG]

New bushing:
    [​IMG]
    The 97-99 gen 2.5 (blister fenders) are plagued with this bushing. Years prior were a white poly bushing which didn't break down in this same way. Those shifters are interchangeable, but I got the new bushing for 9$ off amayama. Disassembly of the shifter itself was pretty straight foreward, but I had to bring it to a machine shop and borrow a press to get the pin that holds the bushing out.

[​IMG]

After all that, shifting in the t case feels good as new, very crisp.. and I still didn't know how to get into 4 low. If you look at the shift lever, seems to be a magical step to get into 4llc (4 low lock)
    [​IMG]

Turns out you have to push the lever down about an inch, and them move it frontwards.

I also broke the cup holder basically immediately, but was able to find a new OEM one and put it in the other with some gaskets, plastic clips, etc. Things I knew I would need to replace doing the shifter and clips I expected to break doing the stereo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also was given this cup holder that just slides into the seats, which I use now.
    [​IMG]

And finally I installed a 400w oil pan heater. I am going to get a timer so it turns on an hour and a half before I typically start it.

Out on the lake after all the assembly!
    [​IMG]

Next to do is install a cell phone booster that I got for Christmas.

IanB and RyanV like this.
  2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Wow that would have got me scared, dropped that Stud into the T case.. Glad everything was found. and things back together.

3. tperkins

After dropping it we had Christmas celebrations, so I had to think about it the whole time. And after being unsuccessful with both magnets and all day I was just thinking about how much it is going to suck to drop the t case. Brutal.

4. tperkins

Installed a cell phone signal booster that I got for Christmas,

[​IMG]

The antenna that came with it is very low energy and sad, I was recommended to get the upgraded antenna, and I decided to fender mount it so that it wouldn't get wiped off the roof by branches. For those with a 2nd gen Pajero (lol) a 2017 super duty mount works a treat, just needed to massage hole a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ran wire through firewall, had to drill a hole, was sad. But I painted it, rubber grommet, silly cone to keep out the moistures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mounted auxilary 12v on passenger door kick.. might make it work with a switch later that can be used when vehicle is turned off, for now it works just with a the key.
    [​IMG]

Made use of cassette holder under passenger seat
    [​IMG]

Little cutie antenna
    [​IMG]

IanB likes this.
  5. IanB

IanB New Member

Good job on getting that stud out of the TC, that would have sucked!

6. tperkins

Yeah, it was a pretty annoying and scary moment.

7. tperkins

Well, I have put about 14,000km on this unit so far. Trouble free so far.

Annoying thing happens when snow melts off the side and drains into fuel cap, which freezes closed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. tperkins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Couple pics from ice fishing.
    Story time!
    When I first imported, priced out some wheels that I liked the styling of. From what I remember it was going to work out to about 120$ per wheel (x5). So, in my head I had been preparing to spend about that much on these wheels. When I finally went to order them, thanks to all the winning in America, those wheels are closer to 220$ by the time they're shipped and imported now.
    Screenshot I found when I first seen them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Long story short, have these wheels coming: 4 wheel parts was having a deal of buy 3 get one free, and they were also paying the GST. So I ordered some lift springs for the rear at the same time (about 1" is what people see).
    [​IMG]
    84$ per wheel shipped (free shipping when you pick up in store)! Hard to argue. I am curious how they will fit, they're 16x8 -6, stockers are 16x7 +10. So I am gaining a little over 1" of poke.

RyanV likes this.
  9. tperkins

Wheels showed up!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And these little numbers! Should be anywhere from 1/2" to 1" of lift, your results may vary.
    [​IMG]

IanB likes this.
  10. tperkins

Well I was so excited I went to see how they fit, I would say just about perfect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (should out to city of edmonton for the new surface rust on the frame, for sure Krown or something before next winter)
    [​IMG]

IanB likes this.
  11. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

I love this Pajero. It makes me miss mine...Help me convince my wife we need another...

12. tperkins

It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

13. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Wise man, my wife just assumes im buying random cars all the time, so when i dont she is suprised.. lol.

as long as i keep her car running good. and i dont take her garage space.

14. tperkins

Just buy one, one day it is in the driveway.. act like it has always been there.

15. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

$4F07188B9181CF04.jpg I dunno

Greg and tperkins like this.
  16. tperkins

Picked up a rear LSD, 75 USD.
    [​IMG]

IanB likes this.
  17. tperkins

[​IMG]

Will they fit?! 5 33's, 5 16x8 still in boxes, new rear springs, spring compressors, tool kit, tool pouch, a bunch of other random tools, all my stuff for a couple weeks of living.

Yes, of course. Room to spare in the passenger seat. IMAGINE a roof rack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes, I nerded out a little about that.

Truck as it rolled into the shop:
    [​IMG]
    Seeing as I needed to replace these little plastic bushes on the torsion bars, I re-indexed them while I had that torsion key off.
    [​IMG]
    I then replaced the rear springs
    [​IMG]
    These are just Medium Duty OME springs, they're a little thicker so should improve the payload a bit, but still ride nice. After installation and settling, they provided about 3/4" of lift.

You can't really tell, but here, after re-indexing the torsion bars, driving and settling, adjusting, driving, settling, adjusting, I finally ended up with about 1/2" lift in the front over what I had originally, and perfect, I mean perfect, height side to side. If you look at the silver lines you can tell, but it is difficult.
    [​IMG]

Following that, I was deeply offended at the extra amounts of surface rust that showed up over this last winter in Edmonton [read: calcium brine]. So, I might have gone a little overboard with the frame. (Yes, on my DD / hunting truck]. This basically started when swapping over the springs and deciding I might as well paint the spring perches while they're out.

Steps: 1.) Wash the frame big time. Wash everything, I ran water through each hole in the frame until it came out perfectly clear through the drain holes. I even scrubbed with brush.
    2.) Hit entire frame with angle grinder + wire wheel to remove any flakey bits of paint or anything. Use wire brush for hard to reach places.
    3.) POR15 cleaner / degreaser. Self explanatory, I also worked it in with a sponge and rinsed it off big time.
    4.) POR15 Metal Prep. They explain this as a rust neutralizer / etching compound. What you do is spray it on the bits to be painted and keep it wet for a duration of time, keep it MOIST, then rinse it off and let it dry. This leaves the surface with better adhesion and a zinc phosphate coating to improve bonding.
    5.) dry, big time dry everything. They say POR15 actually hardens when introduced to water, but I went over the whole thing with an air compressor and gave it heaps of time to sit.
    6.) two light coats of por15 classic. Satisfying, but each coat was taking me approximately 2.5 hours to brush on.
    7.) two light coats of top coat (chassis black).

In all, this took a couple days, I even woke up one day at 7 AM to do the second coat of POR15, after finishing the first coat at 2AM. The first coat was ready to paint (when dry to touch) after 5 hours. The second coat was ready after 6 hours, same as the third coat. In total, between prepping and painting this was probably 20 hours of work excluding all the drying time.

Following the second coat of POR15 (glossy)
    [​IMG]
    (side note, you can see here the 1" body lift from factory for the auto trans units)

Finished product
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To finish it off I am either going to go to a Krown dealer and have them spray inside the frame rails really well right away before any mud or dirt gets in there, then probably krown the whole bottom before winter.

18. tperkins

Then I removed the steps and factory flaps (pics later)

Well, after that make work job... I noticed now my paint wasn't up to snuff.
    [​IMG]

The white.... man. Fuck the white. So, I started with hand wash bucket style. Then went to a full degreaser my friend had that removes old wax. At that point it was time to clay bar.. I couldn't find iron x, or fallout or magma. Nothing.

To clay bar the silver, no problem. Normal amounts. To clay bar the white took longer than all the silver on the vehicle, which is like 80% of the surface area.

Anyways, following clay bar was meguiars ultimate compound, then meguiars ultimate polish, then I waxed it. A ton of work.. probably in total took 16+ hours. But, it turned out nice.
    Test spot on the roof
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:

Pictures throughout various stages
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I finally got the tires mounted to the truck:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spare tire fits.
    [​IMG]
    Three stages of Pajero ownership
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it went for clear protectant on the rocker panel, bottom of doors, and inside wheel wells:
    [​IMG]

Next up, flaps: (these are 19$ a piece at gregs)
    [​IMG]

Pajerist and Greg like this.
  19. IanB

IanB New Member

Wow, what a pile of work, good for you! Truck looks great!

tperkins likes this.
  20. IanB

IanB New Member

These things have some body lines that really don't show up in pics from the side, don't they?

46621298535_528f6fd95b_c.jpg

Greg likes this.