Mitsubishi tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Aug 21, 2018.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Next was addressing 4wd shifter. I could not for the life of me get it into 4 low, couldn't figure out how to do it, and so I got to reading and found a common issue with a bushing in the shifter deteriorating to nothing. Sure enough, mine was missing entirely, and only some chunks of the old one remained.

I needed to remove the shifter, which shouldn't have been a big deal.. but I guess I didn't read enough because I made quite the mistake.

[​IMG]
    It turns out that those "studs" aren't actually studs. So, when I removed the shifter, I noticed one dropped down a little bit. As quick and gently as I could I put nuts onto two of them, but when I touched the third one it just dropped and I heard a splash. Dropped a bolt right into the top of the transfer case.

[​IMG]
    So, getrag trans as far as I know, I don't know who to blame for this design. But I do blame myself as well.
    [​IMG]
    Guess which one fell.

I eventually got the bolt out, but talk about stress lol. I tried from the top with magnets to no avail. I removed the drain and fill bolts and searched around in there with magnets to no avail. Finally, I removed an inspection cover on the transfer case and it was sitting there right at the bottom. What a roller coaster, I was sure I was going to have to pull the t case.

[​IMG]

Of course I didn't have that gasket, and i went and tried to make a new gasket from felpro material I got from the store, but on a sunday without a punch I couldn't get the holes right without having burrs. I tried drilling them, then tried sandwiching the gasket between two boards and drilling through everything, still didn't really work. In the end I took the advice of people who have done this exact thing and just cleaned everything really well an used black permatex. A week later it is still bone dry so I would say that was successful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First look at where the bushing used to be, you can see chunks of red in this picture as well as the one showing the studs.
    [​IMG]

New bushing:
    [​IMG]
    The 97-99 gen 2.5 (blister fenders) are plagued with this bushing. Years prior were a white poly bushing which didn't break down in this same way. Those shifters are interchangeable, but I got the new bushing for 9$ off amayama. Disassembly of the shifter itself was pretty straight foreward, but I had to bring it to a machine shop and borrow a press to get the pin that holds the bushing out.

[​IMG]

After all that, shifting in the t case feels good as new, very crisp.. and I still didn't know how to get into 4 low. If you look at the shift lever, seems to be a magical step to get into 4llc (4 low lock)
    [​IMG]

Turns out you have to push the lever down about an inch, and them move it frontwards.

I also broke the cup holder basically immediately, but was able to find a new OEM one and put it in the other with some gaskets, plastic clips, etc. Things I knew I would need to replace doing the shifter and clips I expected to break doing the stereo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also was given this cup holder that just slides into the seats, which I use now.
    [​IMG]

And finally I installed a 400w oil pan heater. I am going to get a timer so it turns on an hour and a half before I typically start it.

Out on the lake after all the assembly!
    [​IMG]

Next to do is install a cell phone booster that I got for Christmas.

IanB and RyanV like this.
  2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Wow that would have got me scared, dropped that Stud into the T case.. Glad everything was found. and things back together.

3. tperkins

After dropping it we had Christmas celebrations, so I had to think about it the whole time. And after being unsuccessful with both magnets and all day I was just thinking about how much it is going to suck to drop the t case. Brutal.

4. tperkins

Installed a cell phone signal booster that I got for Christmas,

[​IMG]

The antenna that came with it is very low energy and sad, I was recommended to get the upgraded antenna, and I decided to fender mount it so that it wouldn't get wiped off the roof by branches. For those with a 2nd gen Pajero (lol) a 2017 super duty mount works a treat, just needed to massage hole a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ran wire through firewall, had to drill a hole, was sad. But I painted it, rubber grommet, silly cone to keep out the moistures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mounted auxilary 12v on passenger door kick.. might make it work with a switch later that can be used when vehicle is turned off, for now it works just with a the key.
    [​IMG]

Made use of cassette holder under passenger seat
    [​IMG]

Little cutie antenna
    [​IMG]

IanB likes this.
  5. IanB

IanB New Member

Good job on getting that stud out of the TC, that would have sucked!

6. tperkins

Yeah, it was a pretty annoying and scary moment.

7. tperkins

Well, I have put about 14,000km on this unit so far. Trouble free so far.

Annoying thing happens when snow melts off the side and drains into fuel cap, which freezes closed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]