tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Important question...Have you pushed the mystery button yet?

2. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Yeah, mystery button makes a beeping sound and I can't really tell what else it does.

New news from looking at it today, it has passed a Shaken inspection in January of 2018, has a brand new battery with 600km on it, all fluid changes are up to date, and the flash light in the back plugs into the truck and has a magnet on the back.

3. tperkins

Failed the OOP inspection? Why? Baby cracks in the tires that didn't concern me in the least. In other news, camera on phone still broken so pictures still look potato in quality.

Anyways, took some nimble navigating to pass, borrowed a set of tires from internet stranger.

I also raised the front a bit
    [​IMG]

Anyways, I swapped my other tires back on for the time being.

I found this under the rear seats, which all fold in mysterious ways.
    [​IMG]

Picked up some winter tires, which I will be getting studded and mounted this weekend:
    [​IMG]

I took it about 1000 km this weekend to go hunting, and get some tires, etc. First impressions, it is good. Fuel economy isn't as terrible as I expected due to barge status, probably GDI magic. I almost got 700 km out of 80L. It chewed through a lot more gas hunting than on the highway, it would be interesting to see how much kms you could get out of a highway tank.

I felt this weekend was a rude awakening to race tank, that it no longer has cushy Tokyo life, and I think it is fine with it. Ran well, no new noises, reliable. 4wd works good, the different systems of 4wd feel noticeably different but take a long time to engage. Also, it does kind of suck to wash, many nooks and crannies. I will also say that it is much more spacious than Tacoma, hunting gear has tons of extra space.

It also has metal skid plates that start at the front, end briefly at the end of the transfer case, and then cover the gas tank in the rear.
    [​IMG]
    Looks like some historic leaks, the front one looks like it was from the oil filter at some point, the rear one seems to be from the front diff at one point.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  4. tperkins

Living with Pajero for a while, is good, starts and runs well, I quite like it.

GRIPES: Cup holders are brutal (not pictured), window regulators and motors suck (typical Mitsubishi), rear right was broke when I got it, front right sounds to be dying. Car has auto up and down for all windows, which isn't optional from NA model, so I have had to order Japanese regulator to fix old window. Should be fun when motor on front dies.

The fuel gauge is whack af. For the first 150km it stays on full, then around 350-400km it is around 1/2 tank... then the 1/3 below the 1/2 line just tanks in like 80-100km, then it just lives at 1/8 tank left for a while. I need to carry a jerry can and just see what it will do at some point.

Other than that, pretty great.

Here are some pictures:
    Studded the winter wheels!
    [​IMG]

First chicken (killed while driving the Pajero, not by the Pajero):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The end of bow hunting is upon us! Hopefully it will be better prepped next season.
    [​IMG]

Pajerist, RyanV and Megatol like this.
  5. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Love your Pajero, looks awesome man.

Your fuel gauge sounds like my Safari-
    • Drive 60km with it pinned on full
    • 400-450km to halfway mark
    • From 1/2 tank to 1/3 only 80km
    • Fill up pretty much at empty, after going 600-700km
    The stupid part is my truck is supposed to have a 95L tank... I think the most I have ever put into it is 84L with the gauge on empty. So there is a secret 10L of reserve fuel. I have wanted to, but never taken a jerry can and ran it dry to see how far it would go.

Typical JDM cup holders! The Safari is old school JDM- didn't even have them from the factory, so drove around 5 or so years until I finally got some aftermarket ones lol.

I know it hasn't been cold, but how is the heater?

6. RyanV

RyanV Member

If it makes you guys feel any better it's fairly similar fuel readings on my HDJ 81 Land Cruiser as well. I believe it's a 95l tank on the truck. When the warning light comes on I think I put in about 80l. The most I've ever put in on one fill is something like 84l.

7. tperkins

It has been pretty cold, not crazy but I think we seen -12, heater is excellent. Truck has the winter package, so bigger heater core blah blah blah, if you turn the front and rear on full blast it heats up in no time.

That said, the coolant was disgusto, and I flushed it heaps of times and I will probably do it once more. I even purchased a new coolant reservoir for it and stop cock, since I flushed it so many times I messed up the o ring on the old stop cock, and my kit with almost every metric "o" ring known did not have the correct one.

Why can't it just tell you what is in there? lol. Minor annoyance.

8. tperkins

[​IMG]
    Got many snows.

[​IMG]
    Activated hover tank

[​IMG]
    Installed winters

[​IMG]
    These are some funky wheels

[​IMG]
    Winter wheels on tank, I ordered some bigger ones. 265/70/16 (old), 265/75/16 (new). They fit well!

IanB and Greg like this.
  9. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

How old is the spare? Worthy of changing as well?

10. tperkins

Spare is 7 years old? Seems good enough for spare. I did not commit to new winter tire for a spare, playing the dice rolling version.