tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Feb 11, 2015.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

Good that you got it settled, but I wonder why it took so long? The one time I had damage I think it only took a few months to get settled.

2. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

I don't know either, just glad that it is over.

3. IanB

IanB New Member

I noticed on the paperwork from my last couple imports, that the designated adjusting company on the insurance policy was Granite Claims. Being in the industry, I know Granite was bought by SCM/ClaimsPro about a year ago. A lot of the Granite adjusters didn't follow the company to its new owners, but rather found work elsewhere. Just a hypothesis, but this may have contributed to the issues in getting the claim settled that you experienced. The only people who knew how to deal with it no longer worked there.

Either way, glad it's behind you now.

4. tperkins

Interesting, I dealt with ClaimsPro.. things were slow, communication was slow and poor. Things confused people that shouldn't necessarily be confusing; for example at the bottom of the Short Form Bill of Lading from Precision Carriers it says in type as part of the form "Damage by flying objects (Road Objects) not covered on open carriers." It is on every form and that is very obvious, that is just how it is printed. All of the writing and notations of the damage is done in pen on top by the trucker, also obvious. About 95% of the way done with everything, they sent me an email saying (not in these exact words) "oh, hey, looks like the damage was done by flying debris on the road, so it is not covered by us."

That kinda made my eye twitch. Again, in the end things were made right.. but it was painful getting there at times.

5. RyanV

RyanV Member

Ah yes, I guess that would make things more complicated if you had another shipping company in between rather than it being you personally picking it up. Insurance...always looking for a loophole so they don't have to pay out.

6. IanB

IanB New Member

Always read the contract you're purchasing, and understand what is and is not covered, and there would never be any surprises, right? But people don't do that in real life, and the insurance industry is to blame, lol. This obviously is a general statement, as I've never gotten copies of the shipping insurance policy to review prior to purchase when importing. You get what you get in this instance.

I've had some very frustrating personal experiences as well, and it's what I do for a living.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  7. tperkins

For sure, I agree with both of you. It was just funny that after 5+ months they just tried to sever ties. The damage obviously happened during the unloading, if it had happened in between port and Edmonton, I would have been dealing with the insurance through that carrier lol. Just an example of some of the frustrations.

Doing this for a living, might be better, might be worse. I took it personally and not professionally at times despite my best efforts, which isn't good. I am sure you have some stories to tell at least :p

8. IanB

IanB New Member

I've got stories from both sides, lol.

9. tperkins

I believe it :p The guy at Claimspro probably hates me.

10. tperkins

I was looking at some pictures from this summer and remembered I forgot to post this.
    [​IMG]

Braden and lenglish like this.
  11. tperkins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Changed back to the summer wheels, it was a process.

The center bore of the OZ wheels is very precise, and the extra paint from powdercoating kinda made them stuck on so I had to use a rubber mallet from underneath the car hitting outwards. The good that came out of this is that I found a good way to change wheels without scratching Brembros

robbieg likes this.
  12. tperkins

Finally a few things happening.

Dropped the car off at a friend's place to have him do a few things that I just don't have the tools / time to do, plus he is a pro.
    [​IMG]

Most importantly, the car is relatively rust free underneath and I would like to keep it that way as I have seen some scary looking rusty evos. That being said, there is very superficial surface rust on the spare tire well, which is very typical for these cars, other than that it is very clean. So he is going to address any surface rust present, then under seal it with Rust Bullet rust encapsulator (picture Amber 31422 from Fringe). As he has done a few full restorations on various cars, did his own Evo this way, and has dropped 4-5 rear sub frames on Evo 4's in the past he is also much more knowledgeable to do this... plus has a lift in his garage.

Next on the list, since I don't have a hydraulic press and since he was removing the north / south bar anyways, was install a Powerflex engine bushing (front lower). I guess this helps with reducing engine rotation and improving shifting but I will report back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is replacing a section on the catback that has a resonator (yuck), and is 2 3/4" which will negate the 3" front pipe which I will be installing later on.

Finally, the front LSD for the 4-5-6 has some inherent issues with fasteners backing off and wrecking shit.
    Below is a picture of some diff bits which my friend had removed, as he purchased 5 different LSDs from various places to rebuild and sell to different Alberta folks and most of them had some damage or issues with the fasteners. Like this: (not my picture or a picture of my LSD bits)
    [​IMG]

His words: "The four countersunk fasteners that hold together the two halves of the torsion lsd under repeated prolonged load have an inherent design flaw where they stretch, loosen and eventually break. This can be corrected by: 1) upgrading to 12.9 grade fasteners and using red loctite 2) some rally companies weld in the fasteners 3) machine the case to use an oversized fastener with a shoulder rather than a tapered pan head."

lenglish likes this.
  13. IanB

IanB New Member

Man, a lift in the garage would be a dream come true!

14. tperkins

Definitely a life goal for me.

IanB likes this.
  15. tperkins

Quick update today: North / south mount is half painted. So shiny and chrome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    It will be going back to black once it cures.

16. tperkins

17. tperkins

18. tperkins

Factory LSD
    [​IMG]
    Apart
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one was actually backing out, luckily it was caught in time before there was any damage.
    [​IMG]
    New fasteners in!
    [​IMG]
    I actually had bought a second LSD.. in case we opened this one up and it was an open diff (though I was fairly confident it wasn't) and just in case I needed some parts from it. It too has the upgraded fasteners now and I am considering selling it.
    [​IMG]

Next step is to drop the rear sub frame and seal out the rust.
    [​IMG]

lenglish likes this.
  19. tperkins

Everything looks good!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The worst spot is just on the passenger side of the spare tire well... and really it is nothing to worry about.
    [​IMG]

IanB and lenglish like this.
  20. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Nice! Things are coming along!

tperkins likes this.