tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Feb 11, 2015.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Update:

Spray can ceramic coating I used on my exhaust manifold worked but also failed. Well Travis, that doesn't make sense, what do you mean by that?

Well, I will show you:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the primer worked very well. Good adhesion, still on there, no rusty grossness. However, the black that I put on top of the primer (as per instructions exactly) lifted off and now it looks ugly. What will I do? I don't know. Might just sand it, try again with black on top while it is in the car. Or might leave it. Yet to be decided.

Next order of business, I need an alignment, like, pretty bad. Front tires wear like this (this one is the worst, and I have rotated them, so all 4 tires now look like this) :
    [​IMG]

So, I am taking them to a friend who works at a tire shop tomorrow and I will swap them around so that I can now wear down what used to be the outside of the tire. Should allow me to get another summer out of them and hopefully can get an alignment soon. Since I am back in Slave Lake for the time being I don't trust anyone here with the alignment and will have to get it done in Edmonton at some point.. and if I am going to run these Advans I will be ordering some 245/40/17s, then raising the car a bit, maybe 3/4", and then will be trimming the rear fender flares and whatever else I need to do in order to run 245s, so I would like to get the alignment after all that biz.

Since I took them off the remove the balancing, then to rubber spinny cleaner the old gunk off the insides, I took the opportunity to put on the Advans.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a bad picture, on the car, that doesn't do them justice.
    [​IMG]

I went out all keen with my camera and tripod, and tried to snap some pictures that I thought looked very good on my camera screen, only to find they were garbage when I got home. So, right now I am downloading Lighting Room and tomorrow I will see if I can fix them up a bit and post some here either way. I will also grab some daytime pictures.

Right now, I like them. But do I like them more than the bronze wheels? I don't know. I will live with them for a bit and decide what to do.

2. tperkins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Edited ^
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    lenglish and Pajerist like this.
  3. tperkins

I didn't get any nice pictures today, couple cell phone pics:
    [​IMG]
    Two of these Advans have some curbage, so I need to decide if I can live with it, or commit to refurbing them, or sell them entirely and get something else.
    [​IMG]
    Also went full @Braden on the engine bay today:
    [​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After

And I got my directional bronze wheels rotated and re-balanced so I should be able to squeeze another summer out of them.
    [​IMG]

Pajerist and Braden like this.
  4. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Looking good! Nice work on the night shots.

5. tperkins

Was using the tripod you gave me, and out of like 80 pictures only two worked out okay lol. I have a lot to learn about night photography. It would be nice to get a remote to click the shutter button, having a hard time moving the camera while pressing the button.

6. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Sweet. Does your camera have a shutter timer? I'll set mine for 2 seconds, so that she shutter goes 2 seconds after I press the button. No need for a remote if you can do that.

7. tperkins

It does, that's genius.

lenglish likes this.
  8. tperkins

Did some more things today, changed the rear endlinks and bushings, as well as front endlinks to whiteline ones. The front bushings are a pain in the ass to get to so I will do them when I am in the area for something else already. When I removed the rears and pressed my finger nail into them I felt like I was already wasting my time as they are pretty hard from factory, so when the front was that difficult to get to (need to drop the subframe and suspensions to get at them as far as I can tell) it was an easy decision to not do them.
    Whiteline endlinks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rear poly sway bar pushings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rear bar is 21mm
    [​IMG]
    The first side took forever because of this bolt, which I ended up cutting 1/2 an inch off on the other side. That gap is too small for any sort of ratchet and socket, unless the socket is not deep enough to tighten the bolt far enough. Further, there is a gap in my ratcheting open-end/box wrench set that doesn't include a 17mm nut. So, with a regular wrench I threaded the nylon nut for over an inch and a quarter, until which point I found the supplied nut was too large for the little divot and you couldn't get anything in there to tighten it without rounding it off. So I then had to un-thread it with a normal wrench forever to get the factory 14mm nut on. This probably all took 40 minutes and I scratched my arms up doing it.
    [​IMG]
    Fronts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Front bar is 23mm
    [​IMG]

With that done, and plenty of time to kill, another thread on the cult facebook page of a separated harmonic balancer to remind me this was sitting in the pile, I decided to install my Fluidampr harmnic crank pulley. I ordered this because the factory one is old, and has a rubber bit holding two metal bits together which tends to fail. As many as 5-6 on the facebook group have done so, and I seen one fail mid race on youtube as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got to use my 3/8" torque wrench for the first time
    [​IMG]
    Totally unscientific and useless video of the engine high idling after a cold start with the new pulley, and no before video was taken.
    https://flic.kr/p/ULyyb4

Since that took all of 20 minutes to do, I reinstalled the bronze wheels and tires which I had rotated on the rims and re-balanced, lowered the car, torqued them then took back to the lighting. But before I did that I removed these silly looking clips that the mechanic put on when he changed my clutch:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of you may remember how much I have been messing around with trying to get LEDs in behind the instrument screen. Problem with back there is that they dim, and for whatever reason the bulbs I had tried thus far have not worked in there:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All the different ones I have tried in there, the two on the left are the ones that ended up working.
    [​IMG]
    Current look:
    [​IMG]

9. tperkins

Some pictures with the wheels and biz. Again, the bronze wheels are 17x8+28 with a 225/45/17 and the Advans are 17x8.5+31 with 225/45/17s.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RyanV and Pajerist like this.
  10. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Wait a minute here, what's different?

The Advans are so vastly superior that if this was an election, they'd have managed a historic electoral college victory. Tremendous victory.

11. tperkins

Grime in the engine bay on the paint is much less.

12. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Bronze wheels look WAY better on it!

IanB likes this.
  13. IanB

IanB New Member

X2, I much prefer the dark bronze to the light gold color.

14. tperkins

Agreed with you guys, I put them back on for the ricer meet in Edmonton this weekend, there was a pile of cars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Best parking spot ever
    [​IMG]
    Album here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskZDkitG

IanB likes this.
  15. tperkins

Went full @mekazilla with polishing this intake that was on the parts car today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lenglish likes this.
  16. mekazilla

mekazilla Theoretician

Shiny is good!