tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Feb 11, 2015.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

I really didn't put much time in today. New o2 sensor, chased some threads, started bolting up everything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I just looked on partsouq and that coolant line is only 12$... so I will probably be ordering that later.
    [​IMG]

2. tperkins

Copy pasta from chatbox:

This morning, I woke up, all of the turbo / exhaust bolts were snug. Went to tighten them all. All 5 on the turbo to downpipe went 100%, no issue (after having purchased a marginally smaller 14mm open end/box wrench). Moved on to the 4 bolts that hold the turbo to the manifold. Snugged them up in an X pattern, torqued them in an X pattern, first at 20ft-lbs, then at 30 ft-lbs, then when I went to do the final torque at 35 ft-lbs one of them stripped off. And it just so happened to be a stud that was threaded into the turbo. So I took everything apart and the turbo housing is now at a machine shop lol.

3. tperkins

Got the helicoil installed, no issues there. Most things are back together, but now I have a job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. tperkins

Well, just as I started making progress I got a phone call to go to work. So pretty much the next day I went to camp for a few weeks, and here we are. As we moved to Calgary this weekend, pretty much my main task was getting the car running and moving, so here you have it! Less pictures of the actual work than thus far, but more of completed running cars. Note, the new exhaust, I think it sounds very good. Nasty, you can also kinda hear the turbo spool up through the exhaust now.

In the last few days I finished the exhaust 100%, installed the gauges (@pitty suggested I hook up my oil pressure / temperature gauge up to be a water temperature and oil pressure gauge.. so despite saying I was tired of buying new parts I bit the bullet and ordered some more.), reinstalled the rad, battery, intake, polished the headlights and resealed them.. quite the task installing the gauges to be honest... the pillar I had I guess was 60mm, so I had to make it work with these 52mm gauges. One thing I will say about the innovate gauges is that there is a wack of wiring, and the evo was a pain in the ass to find a spot to breach the firewall. Other than that, lots of work in the past few days and finally got it driving around again. In love with the new exhaust note.

[​IMG]
    Damn turbosmart wastegate is huge in comparison to the factory one, which I am sure would be fine, but the plasmaman J pipe is much larger than the factory one as well, so it made for fitment issues and janky washers and longer bolts needing to be used.
    [​IMG]
    Changed the other intercooler hose out for a silicone one as well, pro tip: point the hose clamps downwards and you might be able to access them with the bumper on.
    [​IMG]
    Ugly headlight
    [​IMG]
    Fresh headlight!
    [​IMG]
    All flanged up! Removed that horrible grounding kit, cleaned up a ton of wiring, added a ton of wiring for the gauges but I think I hid it alright. New stickers on my shroud. Installed my Tein hood dampers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fresh.
    [​IMG]
    Super fresh!
    [​IMG]
    Bonus HKS floor mat, which reminds me that the PO put in an aftermarket seat rail so the seat sits lower, I guess Japanese me was also tall(ish). Also fired up just fine, no leaks, happy times.

Bonus pictures to prove it left the garage!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

robbieg and Murrdawg02 like this.
  5. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Everything looks great. What did you use to polish the headlights?

Did you say you moved to Calgary? Like permanently?

6. tperkins

I used the Meguiar's headlight restoration kit, I chose this one because it came with a sealant which I didn't see in other kits. Probably this is a bandaid fix and it will have to be redone every once in a while, or just get new headlights anyways, but for now it looks good.

https://www.amazon.ca/Meguiars-G3000-Heavy-Headlight-Restoration/dp/B004HCOE72

Yes, moved to Calgary, I don't know how permanently now as I got a job working out of Edmonton, but that might also be temporary so we will see. Everything is very up in the air right now.

7. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

How can the Overlord fix your problems when you've moved away!

Sorry about that firewall wiring, I dropped the ball there. The wiring on an Innovate gauge could handle the pyrotechnics at a Metallica show.
    Where did you end up running it?

8. tperkins

Ran it through the grommet for the wiring on the drivers door. Probably would have done it differently if I were to do it again. As in, I would run the water temperature and boost through that same grommet, but found a way to come through the floor with the oil pressure and wideband. I considered this option, but the oil pressure would have had to cross the axle, which I wasn't pumped about, and the o2 sensor in the MAP pipe is pretty far frontwards, so it would have had to came backwards to get through a grommet on the floor, where there was really nothing to fasten it to.

You can see the bulk of wiring in the top right of the engine compartment (picture top left) going into the fender.
    [​IMG]

9. tperkins

10. tperkins

11. tperkins

Picked up some more things, wheels off an evo 5 I bought I am planning on putting some 245/40/17s on, as well as some end links for the pile.

They honestly probably will not look as good as my current wheels, but they're legit advans (and period correct) and will allow me to run 245s better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bonus picture of the parts evo
    [​IMG]

IanB likes this.
  12. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

I hope you're going to chav mount that LED bar on the Evo...

13. tperkins

Speaking of period correct wheels, check out this advertisement from Advan. I assume that was the newest evo available at the time.
    [​IMG]

Murrdawg02 likes this.
  14. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

That's pretty cool. What's the offset on those?

15. tperkins

New wheels are +31, current wheels are +28. But, since the advans are 1/2" wider they will sit out a tiny bit more.
    [​IMG]

16. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Those will work great! I'm partial to gold too though.

17. tperkins

Picked up some :rice: today. Already have this in cusco, but jumped on a new tein strut tower brace, should match my coilovers and hood dampers:
    [​IMG]

Friend's car whom I picked it up from (who snagged it in Japan):
    [​IMG]

18. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

You know you're a greasy ricer when this is a sincere consideration. :rice:

mekazilla and Braden like this.
  19. tperkins

Guilty.

20. mconor7

mconor7 New Member

Nice looking wheels. Just fix the curb rash, and they will look a lot better.