tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Both of your cars look amazing. I really need to get myself an Evo some day.
    I love seeing the difference between the V and VI spoilers side by side.

2. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Man date indeed. There was popcorn and Travis even let me borrow his butt-plug.

[​IMG]

I mean, errr exhaust silencer. Too far?

More pics

[​IMG]
    On a ledge
    by Lenglish1, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Perfect six
    by Lenglish1, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Man-date
    by Lenglish1, on Flickr

3. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Great pictures, thanks!

4. tperkins

Well, some things started moving today. Kind of a pain, hopefully things continue going OK.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Safety first
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As it sits now.. I am going to bed.

5. tperkins

Got a bit more done today. Turbo and exhaust manifold fully removed and separated, no broken studs! Although there was one stubborn nut, more on that later.
    Note the ugly intercooler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time to port this! You can see that there is a lot to gain. Whether or not that contributes to performance gainz........
    [​IMG]
    The collection of removed parts. Kind of scary.
    [​IMG]
    Old hot-side intercooler pipe vs new, I actually got that in the mail before I had the car, so it is good to finally get around to it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New (and newly ceramic coated... because I decided I didn't like the exhaust wrap) exhaust.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also polished my intercooler and straightened out the fins as best I could
    [​IMG]
    This was really the worst nut/stud. The day I have been waiting for.

This is a picture from when I first got the car.
    [​IMG]
    So the 14mm stripped right away. The 13mm I hammered in then stripped. Finally, the 12mm I really had to hammer on very aggressively got it to pull the stud out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IanB and pitty like this.
  6. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Good progress! Nice job biting the bullet and just going for it, even though it's driving season.

7. tperkins

Well, this weekend not much happened. No pictures from the last couple days but I have had the exhaust manifold ported, I have painted some more rust bullet in areas that were hard to reach up until now, painted the manifold and the turbo hot side, painted the oil cooler, the garage floor, and painted the portion of the exhaust that was fixed up in earlier posts. I will snag some pictures tomorrow as work progresses.

IanB likes this.
  8. tperkins

Welp! Here are some pictures.

When I went to change the waste gate actuator, I noticed the "E" clip had rusted right off and there was nothing but spring tension holding the old actuator on. So I had to buy 70 to get the one I needed after checking a few places.
    [​IMG]
    Got some torque solution exhaust hangers since my exhaust used to bounce around a lot while I was driving. I meant to take a video of the difference, but it has stiffened it up quite a bit while still allowing the exhaust some movement.
    [​IMG]
    The new gaskets, the paint, actuator..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ported manifold
    [​IMG]
    How it was:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Collector
    [​IMG]

Where it sits now. Broke a manifold stud.
    I decided I was not going to mess around removing the old studs and that I would just clean them up. When running the die over the old studs, two of them started moving very very easily. So much that each one that moved I ended up replacing with new studs that I had already ordered and were sitting in the pile. I got carried away and soon I had replaced all but one. Move on to the last one, double nut as I did for all the others, and it broke right away. So quickly that I think it would have likely broken when I was tightening the manifold anyways. Fun stuff.
    [​IMG]DSCF8284 by evoisonfire, on Flickr

lenglish likes this.
  9. IanB

IanB New Member

Broken stud, that sucks! Very nice work you're banging out here!

10. tperkins

Painted some more things today:
    [​IMG]
    Testing out this bumper / trim paint that Braden recommended on the oil cooler duct, it worked pretty well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am thinking I will move forward with using it on what I originally purchased it for. I will post pictures after that is done.

I also started changing the HIDs in the fogs from blue to yellow, as well as started cleaning up some engine bay wiring that's been bugging me for too long.

IanB and lenglish like this.
  11. tperkins

This is one of the reasons it takes me so long to do anything, found some rusty fasteners taking my bumper apart so of course I drove all over town trying to find new ones.
    [​IMG]
    I also replaced the blue HIDs to yellow, but I don't have a picture of that yet. It took a while, the PO used some clear RTV that I had to remove, also some very Japanese wiring just kind of hanging out. So I moved the ballasts, rewired some things and cleaned up some other things doing that.

Also found that my front bumper was missing about 30% of the metal fasteners, and like 65% of the plastic fasteners. It currently has close to 100% of each now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Replaced the screens (after painting them)! Also painted some rusty brackets and shit.
    [​IMG]
    Also, my front lip was coming off when I got it, as a temporary measure I used some two sided tape to fix that, but I fixed that more permanently as well (with some plastic weld).
    [​IMG]
    Painted screens! I used por15 and top coat. I was going to plastidip over that, but then I took a screw driver to the paint in attempts to see how it would chip.. it stood up pretty well so I just left it. Nice thing is that it is easy to touch up with a paint brush. It also wouldn't be hard to redo it with plastidip later. Looks good, for now. You can also see the oil cooler duct is back to black!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was faded, so I removed it.
    [​IMG]
    Prepped it for paint
    [​IMG]
    And painted it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This also sort of always bothered me, you can see that the fan is rusty, I took it down to bare metal so hopefully it lasts. I would have liked to use a rust encapsulator, but didn't feel like going and buying high temp POR15, so I just stripped as much as I could, primed it, then painted.[​IMG]
    So I removed it, took it apart, prepped it for paint
    [​IMG]
    Then painted it!
    [​IMG]
    I used an engine enamel (as well as a high temp primer), "black pearl," which turned out pretty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And with that, I basically can't paint anything else and had to stop procrastinating the real work. So I started installing my fender braces:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    grayhamwiebe likes this.
  12. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Nice i love the attention to detail on stuff.. this way you know everything is going to last along time.

13. tperkins

It was a good day. @mekazilla stopped by to help with the stud, and we actually got it out. Started by drilling two holes side by side, as a relief cut, then wedged a screw driver in there. Which then broke off in the stud. So, I tried welding it again, and it actually worked this time. Just needed that screw driver bit on the inside, moral and technical support from Meka, and heat to the head from the exhaust port (which I hadn't tried yet, throughout the removal Meka mostly continued to apply heat from underneath while I turned it out[the process of turning it out probably took 10 minutes]).

While Meka was drilling I bolted this up:
    [​IMG]

Here are the three stages of removing this stud. First was the inital break, second is when I welded a nut on that then broke, and finally was the successful attempt
    [​IMG]
    It was the 6th attempt at building up the stud, welding in a washer, then welding on a nut.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

When you dig a hole so deep only the Overlord's intervention will save you!

Glad you got that stud out, now you can get back to work! Nice brace, too.

tperkins likes this.
  15. grayhamwiebe

grayhamwiebe New Member

Your persistence and attention to detail is amazing. Keep up the great work.

tperkins likes this.
  16. tperkins

Got the drivers side fender on, as well as the skirt. Then I complained about how long it took to get the old 2 sided tape off, and @Xanicron let me know I was an idiot and that there was a better way.

This is the better way!
    [​IMG]
    Got it from Napa, it was much cheaper than the 3m equivalent.

Yesterday I took the passenger fender off, bolted up the fender brace, then drilled the holes. I then rustbulleted the holes, and the seams, and some other stuff that I could reach (as I did with the driver's side)
    [​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    There was still a little residue left there that I noticed in the picture, then removed. The little thing worked well, didn't muck up the paint at all, and was 4x as fast as how I did the other side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also bolted the manifold up
    [​IMG]
    New gasket, I also cleaned the head up a little, to get the welding grime from the flux core welder off.
    [​IMG]
    Got all the new hardware from Partsouq. Mitsubishi!
    [​IMG]

IanB and lenglish like this.
  17. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

Keep up the good work TP! This thread is fantastic.

18. IanB

IanB New Member

Doing some nice work here!

19. Xanicron

Xanicron I'm trying

Wow, now that's faithful!

I like how OCD all of this is, even the garage space, all your parts laid out neatly.

Fancy fender braces too, almost ready for the Toegay!

20. tperkins

Well, the garage is actually pretty messy. Tools errywhere.