tperkins' 1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Feb 11, 2015.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Well, I will save the long-drawn-out story as best as I can. I have been wanting another AWD turbo car since selling my Subaru. See Subaru here

Since I am now done my degree, that affords me the luxury of finally getting back into a car and keeping my Tacoma ( summer here here and winter here ) which I need for hunting (not-negotiable).

So, 5-6 months ago I sent my deposit to Mark at Brave Auto International and the search begun. Mark is awesome at what he does and that was the consensus of most everything I read. That is also what I have come to find.

I was trying to be pretty particular on the cars I sent to Mark so as not to waste his time. If it wasn't an auction grade 4, I didn't really look at it. If it was more than 120,000km I didn't look, also if it was less than 70,000km (I knew I couldn't afford it below that) I didn't really look at it. With my stringent criteria, over the 5-6 months I emailed Mark 20 different cars which fit. Of those 20, Mark further "culled the herd" based on his criteria (Mark has vast knowledge of specific auction houses and car selection). Any that mentioned under body rust we skipped. We did bid on two Evo V's before winning this VI (the two were low km's...about 76,000 for one and the other was about 84,000 and an auction grade 4.5). For this Evo VI, because I really did not want to lose it, I upped my max CIF price just to be sure (lucky that I did). It was everything I was looking for, down to the colour and modifications. So far, Mark has been excellent and I would recommend him to anyone and would use him again in the future, no questions asked. For now, I will let the car speak to how good Mark is at his job:

Less text, more pictures:
    The auction pictures:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Auction sheet translation:
    a/m muffler.
    a/m 17" alloys.
    a/m adjustable suspension.
    a/m gauge.
    front & rear strut braces.
    timing belt changed.
    interior needs clean.
    steering wheel some wear.
    seat some wear - EVO-6 seats wear more than previous models - example - http://www.braveautointernational.jp/gallery-1197-0-22909#btm
    front bumper some minor scuffing.
    body has some very minor car park door dents.
    rear bumper minor scratches.
    under body has surface rust (have received pictures and it looks brand new underneath, apart from the spare tire carrier which typically has some minor surface rust).

Initially I was looking for an evo V, but, while looking I was reading a book on the history of the WRX and Evo and read some things that made me begin to lean towards the VI purely for the mechanical advantages. However, I still preferred the looks and interior styling of the evo V. The things I mainly liked about the Evo V were the tail lights (which this evo VI has) and the front bumper. That being said, I liked the VI spoiler better and am coming around to the VI front bumper as well. With the pictures of the car that Mark sent, side-by-side with images of the Evo V interior, I have also come to prefer the interior of the VI (but I am probably biased now).

That's all for now as the internet in camp is pretty slow and it is getting annoying but I will upload some more of the pictures that Mark has sent me tomorrow.

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

Congrats on the purchase! I haven't read up too much on the Evo's, but just from styling I think I like the V and the VI the best.

3. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Definitely a biased opinion as the V is aesthetically superior in every way ;)

Congrats man! We'll have to do a meet this summer and go for a cruise.

4. tperkins

False, check my sweet vent things on the RH of the front bumper. Not "every" way :p (also stand by my remarks on the spoiler and interior haha)

A meet would be fun! I am hoping to go check out Boxer Battle, maybe we could cruise together.

5. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Oh man.. what a nice looking car.. i like the rims.
    And im sure Mark is taking great care of you,

6. tperkins

Thanks Ryan and Hunter. I love the rims/fitment and Mark has been great.

7. IanB

IanB New Member

Very sharp car, love the wheels! When do you expect it to arrive?

8. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

I like the V spoiler but the VI front bumper.
    Nice colour too!

Is it missing the hood intake vent cover?

9. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Congrats man! I think I looked at this one when it went through auction, very nice! I'd take either, but I would have to say my first choice is a V, but the other is starting to grow on me.

On the argument of V vs. VI...

Taken from another site (auzzie obvs) but I had a good laugh at that. Good news is it sounds like you can put a V bumper on direct fit, if you ever wanted to.

10. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Very nice! I've always been torn which of those two I like more, but I have to admit that I think I like the VI a bit better. Those rims look great on her!

11. tperkins

Not sure yet, just waiting to find out when it will be leaving.

It isn't missing, it is just "carbon fiber" wrapped. My favorite colour :p

I liked that quote, I have honestly come around to just accepting the bumper as is.... if not preferring it, at least on this car, I just love how it looks all around. The VI bumper also looks good with canards!

Thanks! Lots of comments on the rims... at this point I think they are replicas but they still look good.

As far as the V vs VI, I am very happy I have this car. That being said, I would have been happy to have ended up with a V as well. This specific car I am in love with, all of the visual modifications are precisely what I would have done, right down to stickers on the inside-top of the trunk (which I had done on my old car). The performance mods are all things I would have done as well, apart from the volt-meter I would have stuck an oil pressure gauge there.

So, the passage in the book which I read which changed my mind on leaning towards the VI vs. the V (the book is Wrx vs. Evo The Complete History by Huw Evans): "Outwardly, it looked very similar to the V..... but changes included a smoother, more integral one-piece front fascia assembly. This had smaller fog lights and a licence plate bracket offset to the left to help clear the flow of air for the massive radiator and intercooler assembly. In addition there was an oil cooler duct on the right side only..." (So the silly nipples seemed less silly after having read that lol).

Here is they good part(same book): "The evo VI also boasted better structural rigidity thanks to improved spot welding and the use of more advanced adhesives during assembly. Suspension tuning was revised with a lower roll center and stiffer upper mounts for the front shock towers, greater suspension travel, and more extensive use of aluminum for the rear, including the control arms and links...... The active yaw control-equipped rear diff was revised to improve cornering response, while the two-liter 4g63 engine also got a number of revisions, mainly in the interest of durability. There was a new oil pan design, a bigger oil cooler, and new pistons with special oil passages to help improve oil circulation and cooling. The actual cooling system was also improved with revised hoses and improved ducting. There was also a larger-diameter cold air intake assembly to improve breathing."

12. tperkins

Well, that was entirely too much writing.. here are some more photos to be put in (perhaps temporary) place of a testimonial for Mark:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sticker brings you here (lol) and here if you google it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Obligatory(?)
    [​IMG]
    looks like some wiring to maybe clean up(my mad trunk boot stickers (which will be staying))
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] (I think that looks just swell)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have already ordered a tomei exhaust manifold cover and some replacement filters for the blitz intake. I am also hoping I can take out that grounding kit and it won't affect how my car runs (as it looks ugly) (I hope it wasn't put in with hopes that it would correct an issue)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you noticed the white mark on the hood, it was apparently the remainder of an old sticker. And here is the icing on the cake!
    From Mark: "it was annoying me yesterday to the point it got the better of me today so I thought I would remove it since I have the tools."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all the photos for now, I am very very happy with it. As Mark said (says) "if you are patient, you will get what you want or better."

As far as plans for the car go, first and foremost I just want to fix whatever it is that might need fixing. I want to clean it up a little. Repair or remove the saggy door card material, steam clean the interior, remove that blue sticker from the trunk, and do maintenance things (fluids, filters, etc.)

Apart from that, I would like to get a front pipe to have a full exhaust system, put in a bigger fuel pump (seems to be the thing to do before a tune) possibly inter cooler piping and get a tune... but I have a lot of research to do still. Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    IanB likes this.
  13. RyanV

RyanV Member

That's a lot of "Tokonatsu Factory" stickers on the underside of the trunk LOL!

I guess the wheels are replicas of Advan RZ or RS? If real, they'll have ADVAN in raised letters on the edge of the rim.

tperkins likes this.
  14. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Man, she looks soooooo good. Mark does such a good job of making cars look awesome.

Also, I want your pillar pod.

15. tperkins

Advan RS.

Thanks, Brave Auto does a great job cleaning before departure and the pictures are pretty comprehensive.

16. tperkins

Who wants to guess what the red wire does? So far:

Mekazilla thinks it might possibly be: front plate back light, HID fogs, power headrests (at which I point I wonder what the best colour would be), oil pan heater, heated headrests, rust inhibitor, double ppc, med lasers, large laser, ayc, win.
    Pitty thinks it might possibly be: not for stereo, could be powering gauges via a relay or something (seems big gauge for that), doesn't matter as the AYC will kill my anyways, ejector seat, electric supercharger, warp drive, particle projector cannon, flux capacitor.

I am hoping for eject-o seat-o.

17. VanMike

VanMike New Member

Congrats on the purchase, your car looks absolutely mint! I have been intrigued by the 5/6 EVOs recently and this one is changing my interest from intrigue to lust. Must have felt great to win that auction!

18. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

Looks fantastic! I can see how I thought the vent was missing ;)

19. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Oh man. it looks great.

Marks cleaning is the best i love getting a car from the container and it looks brand new.

20. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Congrats man that makes me super envious. Best part is the seats look to be in great shape, not always the case on VIs. Everything to fix up looks pretty minor; Your gonna love it I am sure.