Mitsubishi tperkins’ 1995 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Oct 3, 2019.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

With the rear flares on, last bit to fix is the trunk. And it is a doozy. I tried so hard to find a trunk and couldn't find anything. Found one in the UK that was rusty, found one in Malaysia that they refused to send pictures of or ensure the colour even, so it could very well have needed body work as well. Both would have ended up being about 1200$ after shipping, which pays for a lot of body work on the trunk that came original to the car.

Double checking that it is just those 12 holes for whichever GT wing it would have had to be filled. Excitement, getting the wing back on the car was the first thing I wanted to do before I even bought the car.
    [​IMG]

Mid way through pulling some dents with a stud gun. I always thought that job looked fun.
    [​IMG]

2. tperkins

Trunk dents fixed, holes filled, primered and ready to block, then paint, then slap the wing on and the car is ready to go.
    [​IMG]

Booked in Friday for some clear protectant on some of the fresh paint and the black vinyl on the roof. I was flip flopping on tinting the rear windows, but I am just going to leave them without tint for now, I really like the visibility.

3. tperkins

Fresh, ready for assembly / installation.
    [​IMG]

4. tperkins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well lookie there. I guess the wing wasn't sitting flat or something so I just told him I can look at it later.

5. tperkins

@mekazilla hero currently driving car to get clear protectant on the front fenders, rear flares and front lip.

I will be picking it up saturday.
    [​IMG]

Pajerist likes this.
  6. tperkins

Picked it up this weekend! Went mostly okay but now I have a fuel smell. My friend who drove it from autobody friend to vinyl friend said your car smells like gas, and I was like nahhhhhhhhh. Turns out he was right, so I will have to dig into that.

Had an evo meet, great turn out. I think Covid also had people ready to get out of the house, finally getting decent weather etc. We have never pulled this many JDM Evos together in Edmonton before, so it was fun. For the most part people were good at standing apart.
    [​IMG]
    Hoods up just talking shit, for the most part everyone is pretty stock outwardly, lots of variations in the bay which was cool to see how everyone personalized. Anyways, that was fun, we went for a drive and on the way past kingsway we noticed it was pretty full so pulled up as a solid team.

3 looked small, even though being least powered kept up fine because it was probably a few hundred pounds the lightest of everyone at least.
    [​IMG]
    That black 5 is a beast. 560awhp 2.3L, and it sounds so good. Just mean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pajerist likes this.
  7. tperkins

Congrats everyone, another wet vac post.

Finally found some factory floor mats. Funny story, my friend sent me a kijiji link to an evo 3 engine block in Calgary the guy said he had left over from a part out. I asked him what else he had and he still had a bunch of stuff and I just bought everything because I am an idiot.

Left home at 5 in the morning and got back inside at 7:30 pm, 11 hour round trip and it was about 1000 lbs of stuff inside the Pajero. Village idiot style. Anyways, I picked up: dash, valve cover, exhaust manifold, full exhaust with fujitsubo cat back, oil pan, 97 eclipse compete head, evo 3 head complete with scored bearings, evo 3 full intercooler and piping, ac cooling units, blower motor, heater core, full set of suspension, front hubs and calipers, rear diff moustach bar, rear subframe with arms, evo 3 engine block that spun a rod (gacked build), fuel tank, scuff paltes, trnk plastic, a pillar plastic, kick guards, steering wheel column, door handle plastic, rear view mirror, trunk lock, gas cap and trunk lever, seat belts, clutch pedal box, brake and gas pedal box, hand brake lever, full evo 3 engine bay and interior wiring harness, hazard switch, ignition switch, ignition coils, shift cables, shift levers, abs module, rear wiper motor, interior dome, evo 3 ECU, instrument cluster, a box of fasteners throttle body, intake, timing belt covers, battery tray, crank pulley, water pump pulley, brake booster, clutch line, trunk carpet, trunk sides, a relay cover I have looked EVERYWHERE for blah blah blah lol. Anyways, that is all in the shed now. Got a decent deal, before I even got home I could have started making money by just selling the exhaust manifold and rear subframe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will use some of that fabric dye on that discoloured section.

Last couple days I have been dialing in the spoiler fitment. Those two little plates I made earlier I think when I installed them the gaps were too tight. So when body guy went to fit it, the gaps were whack, the uprights were pulling down and the middle section was free-floating.

I had the wing fully disassembled, put it on the car one piece at a time, tried to find where he was having issues. Assembled it on the trunk with all the fasteners really loose, actually dialed in that gap between the centre section and the uprights with a feeler gauge. Pulled it off, assembled it with two rivets on the plates and same gap, put it back on, did some fine tuning, then pulled it off again and finalized everything. I also never realised that the reflectors on the trunk lid are painted black and should be red. I kind of like the black.

[​IMG]

This is where the issue was, there was like a step there when you bolted it down about 3/8" and it annoyed the heck out of me and it changed depending on upright to center section gap as well as orientation of the front of the uprights. This is as good as I can get it.
    [​IMG]

You know, I am very open to suggestions on placing this wing. I think the move through discussions with installers is remove the protective tape off the shorter ones, then the long sections peel the edges at 90 degrees so it hangs out when you set it down, then peel after it is set. Obviously going to try and get two people to come help me, one to set it down on either side and one to watch the middle and guide the 3rd brake light wire.
    [​IMG]

That evinrude I have been fixing up. Got the engine running mint after a fairly substantial service, my grandpa gave it to me and VIN tells me it is a 1976. Then found the output shaft was leaking, which I have since fixed also.

I also re-finished the 3rd brake light, fixed some wires, and tested that it works. Surprisingly there is no way to service or remove this without taking the wing off, and with the 3m I think it will be a permanent fixture once I get it back on finally.

[​IMG]

RyanV and OGHalo like this.
  8. RyanV

RyanV Member

Short version...Pretty much an entire Evo 3 in pieces except body and frame :p :D

9. tperkins

A few bits I needed, a lot of bits I will probably never use, and none of the bits I actually wanted like transmission, transfer case, rear diff and axles haha.

10. tperkins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wing mounted, gaps look great.

Pajerist likes this.
  11. tperkins

Recap! Still needs a lot of work, but it has also come a long way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Pajerist likes this.
  12. tperkins

Finally got around to installing my expensive floor mats that came with a bunch of bonus goodies because I am an idiot.
    [​IMG]
    If anyone wants these forester floor mats let me know, price is free.

Started the task of detailing / ceramic coating the 3.

Just working on it after work again so it will take some time.

Started off with a hand wash, then Sonax fall out remover:

I am also sad to report that these wheels originally came white and were painted this flaking off gray colour, which is lame.
    [​IMG]

Pretty torn, because I like these wheels, they really suit the car in period correctness and stylings... they actually look similar to the stock 5 spokes which came on the evo 3. If I were to re-finish them white they would look awesome... but at the same time they're 16's so wheel choice is not ample, they wont clear the brembos even if I drill the rotors to 4 lug, the silly amounts of spacers are not ideal to make them look good, and it is a waste to be a wide boi and run 225's

The rest of the fall out remover was not nearly as bad as I expected:
    [​IMG]

Even just with the clay bar done on the front clip and front doors it is already looking so much better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Need to finish clay baring today then see how far I get.

Then I have a TON of little odds and ends to tie up, like putting headliner back in, adjusting some of the fitment, replacing some missing fender liners, replacing the HVAC control blah blah.

Pajerist likes this.
  13. tperkins

Yesterday I finished the clay bar section and went on to polish the hood.

Test spot
    [​IMG]

Finished product,
    [​IMG]

Really showcase those dents.
    [​IMG]

Pajerist and RyanV like this.
  14. RyanV

RyanV Member

Looks like that polish turned out really good :)

15. tperkins

Thanks!

Hopefully I can finished the rest of the car then ceramic coat it today. Then move on to the other things.

RyanV likes this.
  16. David Smith

David Smith New Member

Paint is looking good! I don’t know how you find the time to get all the work done! :). I would think you’ll find rims you like just as much that will fit the calipers better without the need for all the spacer.

17. tperkins

Thanks, I am lucky to be able to work from home 20' from the shop where I sit at a computer all day. So, after work I just go pick away at things for a few hours.

18. RyanV

RyanV Member

Which kit did you get for the ceramic coating? I meant to buy some kits from Avalon King when they had their July 4 sale, but I didn't get around to it.

19. tperkins

20. tperkins

Fun story, I was looking at random orbital polishers. A couple detailing friends recommended some random orbitals.. and then a Simoniz one at Canadian Tire went on sale for 120$. I thought, well, probably good enough I don't use them all that much. Just on my own personal vehicles, CT should be fine. Wellllllll it quit working with probably less than 6 hours on it? One guy in the reviews even said, this is piece of junk, quit working before I even finished one vehicle. An idiot, I presumed. The other reviews were all positive.

Anywho, lost my receipt so took some time for Canadian Tire to find my receipt, which they eventually did, then I exchanged it for a new one.

So, I didn't get a lot done yesterday. Front bumper took forever, there is a ton of nooks and crannies and curves and it just took some time.

[​IMG]

I also got the front passenger door done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of the scratches, as you could expect, are too deep to take out, but all and all it looks better.