Mitsubishi tperkins’ 1995 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Oct 3, 2019.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Hoses from Australia showed up yesterday. 9 weeks! Of course today the 90-94 DSM Mishimoto Hoses I ordered are set to arrive (people say theyre close enough to make work but different). Australian bro said that all international shipments were grounded.. so it must have just made it out in time.

My charge pipe to remove the leaky HKS SSQV also showed up, that might eventually make its way back on the car.

So I got to put the engine bay mostly back together yesterday. I also cleaned up the spiderweb of vacuum lines in the bay and replaced a ton of hoses with some vibrant sillycone ones.

Of course the thing I was worried about with the dummy thicc rad coupled with the dummy thick stock fan had some fitment issues. If you measure from the radiator to the back of the fan from stock the motor of the fan sticks out 5 1/4".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silly. So, I couldn't get my intake piping on the turbo. Called around to try and get a lead on slim fan which I could have today.. this is when I miss being right in Edmonton because performance world, mopac, they all stock these things.

Ended up removing the shroud again, flipping the side of the bracket the fan mounts to (used to be outside, now it is on the inside).. then took a rotary grinder to the housing to clearance that a bit. It works for now, but I will be ordering a slim fan to install after body guy is done.

Reminder
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pajerist likes this.
  2. tperkins

Interior tentatively back in... until the things I needed show up and I can take it out to re-install the roll cage, headliner, etc.

The OMP horn button doesn't fit this spacer as it turns out. MOMO tentatively in.

I should have taken better before photos but here is what I have scrounged together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Trying to find correct floor mats)

[​IMG]
    Buttoned up bay.
    [​IMG]

It fired up immediately. Like... surprised me big time considering I changed the fuel filter and the battery hadn't been connected for months. Didn't even turn over a full rotation, just flashed up. Knowing that I would have probably pulled the cam sensor plug and cranked it a bit to prime the turbo considering it had been fully removed from the car... but whatever. Not really a big deal.

Idles smooth, did some hunting to learn how to idle again and then the AFR was bang on. No leaks from anything, happy days. To be honest I was a little worried having re-pinned the ECU to fix some wires, removed the turbo timer, a couple lbs of wiring, etc. Changed the whole ignition system, blah blah.

Anyways, off to body today so goodbye bolty flares. Hello Truth Kit and factory wing.

Buttoned up. Temporary battery tie down.
    [​IMG]

3. tperkins

So it made the first 300 km of the trip without much drama.

Car is great. Initially pulling it out of the garage and stuff I was thinking wow, this is too loud. RIP my ears. But actually driving it, it's not too bad.

The suspension was super stiff, no rubbing at new height even when I caught air on the St. Albert- hwy 2 overpass. It is stiffer than I remembered which of course I remembered when I got home last night that I put 40 PSI in each tire for winter storage, then only visually checked them before leaving because my digital gauge was dead. So, that probably didn't help. It also doesn't help that the highway is so rough. I also killed a ton of bugs.

Shifting is smooth as butter and super direct now. Fresh fluid in the trans seems to also have improved shifting. The increased throw makes shifting much more confident. The new seat is awesome.. it might be a bit of a disappointment to sit in the 6 again.. but I doubt it because the 6 is so great.

The exhaust. Wow, worth. Boost response seems much more comparable to a stock twin scroll 4/5/6. Much less dinosaur feeling. Very happy with that. The ceramic coat looks great and as a little test after 15 minutes of idling I touched the front pipe, not that hot, then touched the bare test pipe, very hot (and further downstream). For now I am just running stock boost and being so light the car feels pretty quick, definitely feels like it is running healthier.

Removing the double diverter valve, replacing a ton of vac hoses, and fixing about 6-7 vac leaks also helped the car to not stall at lights anymore.. which is nice.

AFR is bang on everywhere, oil pressure is good, coolant temp was good. Gauges in that location are definitely not as convenient as on the pillar or in the cluster, but it works. I found I didn't obsessively look at them as I do with pillar mounts.

HVAC always suffered from mostly burned out screen, even when in the glovebox at night you could hardly make out what it was saying. Everything worked when I left, and was still working when I got there. I shut the car off in my buddies driveway, we talked shit about the car as he hadn't seen it yet, went for a drive and I lost control of the H-Vac. Quit working haha. So I will have some digging to do there when I get the car back.

We then re-assembled the wing and set it on the car. I have to say the match seems pretty good. Good enough for sure. Then I checked out his TME, Grand National, and R32 GTR project.

4. tperkins

Things finally arrive. Racefab evo 1-3 rear brembo adaptors.

[​IMG]

Also my Amayama order. And not the original two orders I was waiting for, one I placed 10 days ago that passed the originals.

5. tperkins

New fenders who dis
    [​IMG]

6. tperkins

Paint is coming along. Painty bro has full time job, kids etc. So, will take some more time.

Fenders painted, they look great. The match is decent, fitment on the fibreglass fenders is to be expected not perfect. Split the gaps everywhere and it looks good enough.. better than what was there.

As I got this car from a guy who bought it from auction in the US as export only, due to being imported illegally to the states 5-6 years ago I am suspecting that it came in separate containers then was assembled here then sat and didn't move for years in a garage. It would explain a lot, like doors being out of wack, fasteners missing everywhere, weird random tools stuck places, paint pen "evo 3" writing on everything blah blah.

The doors were almost 1/8" out of alignment, the drivers door was catching on the front fender, and that fender was missing the fastener at the bottom. The door was definitely contacting the front fender, so might have bent the door out. The mould might not have been perfect on the fender as well, etc. The front crash support, rear, all the panels, nothing has been hit / bent / repaired, that is all original... it is also possible that the manufacturing process just wasn't as precise in 1995 and likely is a combination of many things, largely just fibreglass doing what fiberglass do. As well as using the stock front bumper, which pulls in the corners of the fender as the Truth bumper is supposed to be used but I don't like it as much as stock evo 3 bumper.

Gaps as good as they will be, match looks great for the doors (makes sense as the mix was done scanning the fuel door and using the paint code), not as good for the bumper but still good enough. Lip turned out great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polishing the paint and then using a glossy ceramic coat I think will help the match also.
    [​IMG]
    This also shows the length of the pull in the rear. That rear lip is the stock arch peeled outwards and really breaks my heart. Really that is the reason the car isn't just going back to stock for a while.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Pajerist likes this.
  7. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

That implies it's going back to stock at some point.

And that's... just...

[​IMG]

8. tperkins

Truth be told I would like to paint the whole car and do the rear 1/4s at some point.

9. pitty

[​IMG]

tperkins likes this.
  10. tperkins

Set backs
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the moment I realized other GSRs have a little trim piece I assume is for door dings?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Set backs!

11. pitty

Time to fire up the ole 3d printer.

12. tperkins

For now I am just leaving it off, but if I back to stock restoration maybe.

13. tperkins

Rear bumper on with holes filled. Fits up well.
    [​IMG]

Well, bittersweet day, uggo lip has been chopped. To be stitch welded and seam sealed today. Nice thing is the dent around the fuel door popped out when the stressed metal was relieved, which is what we were hoping for. Other than that I had the PDR person chosen haha.

[​IMG]

Can see dent here (trimmed and fitted before cutting the pulled arches).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, fill the trim gaps on the flares and paint. Then pull dents in the trunk, fill the holes for the GT wing, flatten some dents in the deck, paint, install the wing and it should be good to go.

14. David Smith

David Smith New Member

looking good! a lot of work :) who were you going to use for PDR?

15. tperkins

Stevie at Dentbusters came highly recommended for Edmonton area.

16. David Smith

David Smith New Member

thx. I know my car coming in has a few dings that should be able to be sorted with pdr.

tperkins likes this.
  17. tperkins

Clearances for the little door bumper trim filled.
    [​IMG]

Midway through tacking up the seam.
    [​IMG]

I just told him however he did his evo 4's, go for it. Like, if I am going to eventually do rear quarters, cutting that lip out really doesn't put me any further behind that stage.

This is his method, which is pretty common. Stitch weld / tack weld the lips together then seam seal. Same method that tuna shops in Japan use.
    [​IMG]

RyanV likes this.
  18. tperkins

[​IMG]

Wow, coming along better than expected.
    [​IMG]

When its on the ground the wheels actually look like they fit pretty well. I am thinking I will need some mud flaps though.

Pajerist likes this.
  19. tperkins

[​IMG]

Rear flares painted. Says they should be attached today or tomorrow then on to the trunk. Worst for last.

Pajerist likes this.
  20. tperkins

Rear flares are going on today. One side done, looks good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if I will RWB style black sillycone yet. Decide later.