Mitsubishi tperkins’ 1995 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Oct 3, 2019.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

Impressive that you keep having daily updates on this! Lots of work going into this car that's for sure!

2. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Finally getting to live a normal person life due to covid, work from home and get to pick away at the car after work.

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

These days I think normal person life is running out of content to stream on Netflix and other platforms :D

4. tperkins

Lol, true. I just mean not having to work remotely, get to sleep in your own bed every day normal life.

5. tperkins

Went and got the manifold back at lunch.

[​IMG]

Check out that wart.

I also ported the runners a touch yesterday, mostly just cleaning up the casting imperfections.

6. tperkins

Most of my work yesterday was finding a set of stud pullers to borrow. BOY am I an idiot. I basically have had since I did the 5 to order these, and meant to... and didn't think about it until I removed the manifold from this car. Like as I was pulling it.

Anyways, called everywhere, couldn't buy in town. Called the snapon guy, he is shut down from COVID, turns out his son is now a J-man at the local Ford and I used to mountain bike with him so he lent me these. The guy at the local all-makes also lent me one. Small town things is nice.

These looked like new, I probably didn't have to even replace them.. but oh well. The threads from the head look a little mucked up but that is just from grabbing them with a set of pliers to reverse the rotation of the puller so it would release.
    [​IMG]

Fresh. Also cleaned the head with however many years of leaking oil.
    [​IMG]

Fresh paint.
    [​IMG]

Impressions, wow having a nice gun and not a paint can does so much better of a job.

Instructions from Cerakote said to sand blast.... I didn't so we will see how long it holds up.

Instead I watched a bunch of youtube videos, turns out it is a very popular coating for guns and none of those guys sand blast, just sand paper.

So, I sanded everything, sanded the mill scale off the front pipe and o2 housing with 320 grit, really spent a lot of time sanding to give it a nice surface. Then acetone'd everything, then as per instructions baked the sanded parts in the oven at 250 F for 30 minutes (gf didn't even question it, which is nice). Gloves, masked everything, hung it, blew it off with compressed air then painted.

Looks really good, as it is drying it is getting a nice matte finish, I also did an engine bracket with VHT flameproof paint just to compare. Will report back. Worst case scenario I just sand blast and do it again.
    1 coat.

7. tperkins

Turned out well, we will see how long it lasts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New vs old, "manifold side" is the japanese writing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shame to cover it up.

[​IMG]

8. tperkins

Fixed driveshaft bushing.. like, who? why?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Removed this, had to put a 2' breaker bar on it... whoever installed this... either way lucky it didn't break the oil filter housing.
    [​IMG]

Finished installing exhaust:
    [​IMG]

So much room for activities
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did some cable management, best I can do... seems like the lengths are all just a little off, a little too long. Also wired new o2

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    RyanV likes this.
  9. tperkins

On today's update of fuck the janky previous owner(s):

The second row of gauges was glued in... the climate control was moved to the glovebox by extending each wire with a blue wire (that section wasn't actually that poorly done and easily reversible).

Vampire splices, butt connectors for everything. Even if it isn't fun to sort out, should at least be satisfying.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Why yes, that vac line that was removed from something at some point is just folded in half and ty-wrapped.
    [​IMG]

10. David Smith

David Smith New Member

omg what a mess! think of how good it will feel when it's all tidy :)

tperkins likes this.
  11. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Look for hanging leftover wiring from a "boost controller" deep in there.

tperkins likes this.
  12. tperkins

Well, took some time to figure out how they did everything. The damage to the harness was not at all as bad as I was expecting, just vampire clips everywhere I am going to heat shrink over.

Seems like every time I have to de-pin an ECU connector I have to re-learn, so working on that.

[​IMG]

Too many funny things to picture everything, here are some highlights. Gauge pods, hot glue guns, vampire connectors everywhere, insulated bullet connectors so they got fancy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. David Smith

David Smith New Member

It'll be faster now with all that weight removed :) great job!

tperkins likes this.
  14. tperkins

[​IMG]

Fixed up a bunch of now-exposed wiring from all the vampire clips and where they on multiple occasions they had just removed the insulation with a knife, wrapped wire around it then taped the two together. No solder, nothing.

[​IMG]

I did leave the one bullet connector, might have something to do with the governor and car might only go 180 now that I have reverted everything back to stock. Will report back on that.

Installed Cusco brake stay just for a change of pace, install was actually painless. Overkill for now on the stock brakes and whichever pads they have in here, but will be good to have done when brembos, and it was easy while everything was out.
    [​IMG]

I was watching Speed Academy evo 6 where they heat reflective tape'd the oil pan tunnel so I followed suit. Could have done a better job if I did it before installing the exhaust and everything.
    [​IMG]

15. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Not gold? Weak.

16. tperkins

IKR?

[​IMG]

Had to modify this little bracket to work with the new gauges. Didn't do much yesterday though. Ran the wires for the wideband and boost gauge, worked on a catch can which I may or may now end up using.

Might flip boost and oil pressure / water temp... I feel like boost is good for setting the boost then you don't have to watch it as frequently, not as important as oil pressure / water temps.

17. tperkins

Still waiting on parts since April 10 from Japan... doing some make work jobs today I wanted to get to eventually.

Capped off this box. The coupler looked rough, I think it is just for silencing boostie sounds which is just silly, and it increases the overall volume of the intercooler system so in my head makes lag. Could be for between shifts as a reservoir... but you also dump that anyways with diverter valve right beside the intake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted intercooler piping, I wanted to polish that upper pipe but the morning I was going to polish it someone posted a wanted ad on an evo 123 group looking for that piping because theirs had rusted.. so that crushed my dreams. In my head / with conversation the paint was already missing and that wasn't rusting so maybe it was some sort of basic stainless steel that was still magnetic.

Also replaced that cold-side coupler that was rotten.
    [​IMG]

Painted windshield cowl and wiper arms.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  18. tperkins

Disassembled bumper, painted grill screens and bumper supports.
    [​IMG]
    Reminder:
    [​IMG]

Some photos from body shop:
    Rear bumper, holes filled and painted
    [​IMG]

Lip (which had about 7 cracks in it)
    [​IMG]

Also that wing blade wasn't painted, so that picture shows the colour match. Looks okay so far.

Installed underbody brace
    [​IMG]

19. tperkins

Changed the driveline fluids yesterday.

[​IMG]
    Confirmed UPWE Evo 3 GSR LSD, verified through trans now, not just vin.

Diaqueen is green, I say it every time but get this pump.
    [​IMG]

Transfer case took some time to fill, after the first two pumps it was oozing out (phrasing), had to do a pump, spin the tires around, wait, do another one. In that downtime I took the time to polish the strut bars.

[​IMG]
    "Motor Sports requires advanced technique and perfect durability. There, Cusco the real motor sports parts was born and trained. Now for people who are concerned with cars, feedback from the competition feelds."

20. tperkins

Cars can possibly have issues with firewall cracks when you put a heavier clutch in.

These two little posts on the pedal box push up against firewall, then firewall can flex etc. Potentially crack
    [​IMG]

Luckily you can buy these little deals for pretty cheap, so I while everything was out and I am still wasting time waiting for parts I installed it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fixed some booger welds with different booger welds on these certainly home made under body braces then re-painted them.
    [​IMG]