Mitsubishi tperkins’ 1995 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tperkins, Oct 3, 2019.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Satisfying transformation:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those wrinkles in the corners are for the cage.

First time using the ATF / Acetone mixture, gotta say it works pretty well. You can see it worked its way down through the top threads, and then started working up from the bottom threads.
    [​IMG]

As I mentioned earlier, I was also worried the suspension was already max height (due to the spring perches being 2 threads from being maxed in the rear)..
    [​IMG]
    As with every bit of the P.O's handiwork on this car, I don't know what else I expected. #lowlyfe

Can't find much on JIC Magic coilovers for the 3, but dang are they expensive for the X. They probably have different tiers and stuff, but found some for 7/8/9 to X 2500 USD http://www.stikiller.com/product.php?productid=16458&cat=347&page=1&js=n

Took a long time to just get the rears done.. had to drive to my parent's house and borrow my dad's bench vice / 36" pipe wrench to break the one lock nut for the LH rear coilover free. Bit of ATF / Acetone helped to just use the coilover adjusters on the RH side, but I mashed two teeth on the collar on the other side before giving up on the adjusting wrenches. Installed / uninstalled suspension too many times to count because I didn't have any way of holding it. Fun stuff. Oxidation on threads in the picture was the right side, the left side was 4x as bad.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  2. tperkins

[​IMG]

Didn't do a whole lot yesterday, raised the front suspension.. took a bit and another trip to my parents to borrow a 36" pipe wrench. Whole car should sit about 1" higher now, probably not the final ride height but I will re-adjust when I do the brembos, 5 lug conversion, figure out the offset I will need, get wheels, have the flares and fenders installed, etc... get rid of the sketchy spacers
    [​IMG]
    Nice to work on a car that really seems like it has never driven in winter.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  3. tperkins

Went to Canadian Tire to get some 0.030" flux welding wire, still too hot for what I need to weld in the trunk. Going to try and get set up for some 0.025" and gas today.

Anyways, switched gears to the valve cover gasket.

[​IMG]

Everything looked alright, of course the previous owner did the valve cover at some point and looked to have used a screw driver to pry the valve cover off, scoring the mating surface.. luckily not too bad. dab oh gasket maker outta do it.

Cleaned up both sides of the valve cover, gasket remover wrecked some of my paint even though I did a test spot (idiot). I also accidentally ordered the plastic half moon gasket and had to pillage the evo 6 parts to borrow the metal one I had in stock for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have done valve covers on the newer evo engines (4 onward) and not the 1-3. Turns out there are 3 different bolt sizes, so I was checking them as they came out and after a few I was just happy to say oh, alright, longer bolts around the outside shorter on the inside, gotcha... instead of what I usually do, same bolt goes back into the same hole. On re-install, noticed there was one bolt that was like 5mm longer than the other long ones. Panic. Went inside, internet down. Fuck it, I will just put the other 13 in and when I find out where it goes giver the ol' swaparoo. Found that there was one hole around the outside by the cam sensor that wouldn't thread with the medium length bolts. BINGO.

Oh, and I thought ahh no need to buy a new ultra black, I have a basically new tube at home (idiot) and a new tube of gray, red to steal the nozzle from (idiot). Anyways, started coming out all chunky, had to just squash a bunch out before it came out silky smooth again... but I didn't have the nozzle in any of the 3 packages and it wouldn't fit in the corners (the place you use it).. fuck. So I had to do it with my fingers (ugly).

4. tperkins

Plugs are in the mail, but I pulled the plugs it came with out just to see, and of course they are HKS.
    [​IMG]
    Fresh plug wires
    [​IMG]

And leaky valve cover gasket might have kept the exhaust manifold studs and nuts looking decent, I might get lucky.
    [​IMG]

5. tperkins

Well, I got some 22 gauge sheet metal for body bits. Originally had 0.035" inner shield flux. Could not get that down enough in temperature. Then I got 0.030" inner shield, better but some problem. So I was like well, whatever I need some shield gas and 0.025" feed wire.

Called Praxair dealer, they want you to sign up for a whole big thing that has a monthly billing cycle, upfront fees, credit check and takes like 3-4 days to go through.

Called another place that sells bottles outright.. 500$.

Ended up tracking one down through a friend, drove to his house and picked it up from his garage he unlocked.. felt a little strange zombietown like.

Anyways, when I got the bottle, hooked it up, changed the wire, found the right settings on test bits, to plug the holes probably took under an hour.
    I had already ground out all the rust as best I could and treated it with Rust Converter.

Step 1, identify rust holes.
    [​IMG]

Step 2, drill out to good metal you can weld on, make plugs.
    [​IMG]

Step 3 weld in plugs
    [​IMG]

I was going to really clean up the welds but the metal is so thin.. if you just brush up against something you can wipe out half the metal even with a flappy wheel. So I just made it look a little more OE, but didn't go full out making it look flush.

Step 4 paint (I used Rust Bullet for this bit)
    [​IMG]

Again, you will think rust holes, thats a pretty bullshit way to fix it. Well, in a lot of ways it is. Reminder, this is solely due to the fact that the previous owner removed the wing and covered the holes with tape, and that was their solution to plugging the holes.. this let a lot of water into the trunk and all this rust is happening inside out.

To remove the worst sections, put in new metal, treat with rust converter and rust paint and keep it from seeing moisture again, it will probably last a while. Eventually, I will probably cut the whole spare tire well out and put a flat bit in there so I am not too worried about it.

[​IMG]

My friend pointed this out and I couldn't forget about it, ground it out. Rusty vag.
    [​IMG]

Cleaned it up, then noticed it was bent inward (looks like it was done with a hammer :sarcasm:
    [​IMG]

Got the slide hammer on it, bent it back and cracked the metal I just ground... so that was nice. I am working on finding a solution to getting a tow hook again.. pretty stupid to not have a tow hook. Thought I might as well paint it in case I don't get around to it this year, and then ended up looking at the rear... deciding to just Rust Bullet the whole trunk area. Eventually I will drop the drive train and finish the job, but for now this is good enough. Kind of annoying how the silver doesn't match haha, I wasn't expecting it to, I was just expecting to be less annoying then black non matching. In hindsight full black bottom could have looked very tidy, but I always feel like black paint on the bottom is hiding something you really don't want to see lol.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  6. tperkins

Rear bumper, wing and front lip are off to paint today.. to be joined by the car soon-ish for the trunk and flares.

7. tperkins

Today's update brought to you by more half efforts on previous owner's account. At some point they ground down the rusty bits but didn't touch the inside. Then left it pretty rough looking and sprayed a single layer of primer over it.

Today's update also brought to you by the letter "F" for "Fuck it, can't make it any worse."

Real quick! The proper way to fix this is new roof, I am going to be ordering a carbon roof skin if the world ever gets back to normal, then just have it sitting there for when the rust inevitably comes back.

Proper way to fix what is there would be:

Remove rust, cut it out and weld in new metal or sand blast it.

Then seal off from oxygen, usually fiberglass infused body filler. Then fog etch that, 2k overtop. Then sealer, paint, clear.

What I am doing / will do: Removed all the rust on the inside, rust converter, POR15. For the outside, remove any flaking rust, rust converter, self etching primer followed by buildable primer. Sand then vinyl.

But yeah, wasn't going to make it worse.
    [​IMG]

No going back
    [​IMG]

Finished sanding, sprayed with rust converter.
    [​IMG]

Picture of the rust converter (that didn't look blurry on my phone)
    [​IMG]

Again, rusty roofs super common on evo 1-3. The adhesive I removed early actually held in moisture and just detonates the roof skin. F.

8. tperkins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Reminder:
    [​IMG]

Turned out fine, there were a couple spots the high build primer didn't fill little dips but for what it is, I think it looks good enough to cover in vinyl. Picture is just of the paint pre-clear coat. Looks glossier with the clear coat but I will grab a picture when I roll it outside as the lighting in the shop makes it look funny. Could also use a wet sand.

Maybe some filler in those spots wouldn't have been a bad idea, but I think my worries for using it were justified after sanding. The roof kind of paint cans in spots the same as it did before any of this and I don't expect that would be great for filler. For what it is, I probably already killed to much time on it just to cover with vinyl and replace the roof in a couple years. I ended up seam sealing more spots to the roof supports and that helped the paint-canning but tried to not go overboard as the roof will have to be removed eventually. I also went and looked at it and just didn't want to spend the 50$, to be honest.

Wing disassembled for paint,
    [​IMG]
    Ugly vents being filled.
    [​IMG]

9. tperkins

The car that just keeps giving, everything I look at, surprises.

Found this in the front bumper:
    [​IMG]

Found out the knocking sound from the driveshaft tunnel
    [​IMG]

Found that they T'd into the intercooler sprayer system to have this gem of an oil cooler sprayer in this custom duct. Which I found behind the front bumper that was held on solely by two bolts behind the grill and two screws from the fiberglass fenders.
    [​IMG]

Then, I found out why the rad was leaking.
    [​IMG]

Initially it was just cracked with some chunks missing, but I grabbed and pulled on it to better visualize the cracks. Luckily I was able to find all the chunks in the top of the radiator as well, and puzzle pieced it all back together.

At this point I kind of want to pull the engine out, start at the beginning and just look everything over.
    [​IMG]

10. David Smith

David Smith New Member

if you keep going you may find a whole set of those wrenches! lol.

tperkins likes this.
  11. tperkins

You know, as many surprises as I find in the car, the fasteners have all been just delightful to deal with. The bolts from the exhaust all look new and if I didn't order new ones already I would just re-use them. At some point this exhaust was off so that helped in the removal, maybe for going back to stock for shaken inspections, IDK. the cat back still has a bit of factory pipe welded to it to mate with the factory cat, so that wouldn't make sense as that section of stock pipe after the cat is not interchangeable.. but not a lot of the "tuning" on this car has made sense lol.

Turbo gasket was pooched,
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the stock turbo elbow really is pretty good. I would say all in all the JMF Fab is a nice looking bit of kit, but using it with the apex-i front pipe would be a big ol' waste of money. I considered selling it, because the outlet of the JMF is 64.5mm, the stock outlet is 57mm, and the inlet of the apex-i front pipe is necked down to meet the factory o2 housing which also measures 57mm.... but instead I dropped it off with a guy to weld a 2.5" ID bit of pipe and the correct flange onto the apex-i pipe, and get rid of that little bottle neck.

Really, probably didn't matter, but I was worried about the turbulence made where the JMF mated to the apexi. For that reason, knowing all this ahead of time I would have just sent it with the stock o2 housing, because how much does it really matter?

Also, the JMF o2 housing weighs nothing compared to the stocker, which probably weighs a few pounds. Lotta meat there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That said, the front pipe is pathetic. Even this JDM version of a performance exhaust outshines it tremendously.

This bend is under 2"
    [​IMG]
    Same bit is like 65mm here (2.548")
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, why did I wait to cut that bit out and weld the new bit in? Wanted to test fit everything first. Internet people will tell you that aftermarket o2 housings for DSM don't work on evo 1-2-3. Some companies like Autobahn88 list different part numbers between DSM and evo 1-3. That made no sense to me. You can bolt the evo 3 big 16g turbo onto a DSM and use your same exhaust, highly sought after swap as this is considered one of the best street car turbos those guys can do. People also use the factory o2 housing from the 3 as an upgrade for their evo 1-2 and their DSMs, it is actually sought after as well. So in my head you can use the o2 housing from an evo 3 to mate to whatever DSM exhaust, you can use the turbo on a DSM with whatever o2 housing and why wouldn't it work? That said, there was still a hint of doubt because why was no one else thinking that?

Anyways, she fits! "Okay, well then why did you wait to weld in that bigger section of exhaust to the apexi pipe?" WELL I still didn't know when I ordered if the apex-i inlet would be enlarged to meet whatever apex-i o2 housing maybe they used to make at some point in time... or maybe it is just a gaping hole compared to stock o2 housing. Or maybe the JMF wouldn't actually work and I would have to use the stock o2 housing. Also, if I needed to cut that baby section out for the JMF pipe anyways I could re-orientate everything to work.

They're also welding in a bung for my wideband.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, and since I will just be monitoring oil pressure I am going to use one of those ports on the oil filter housing and remove that sandwich plate, which not only puts that oil filter right beside the exhaust, I probably can't get that filter off like that.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  12. tperkins

[​IMG]Untitled by Travis Perkins, on Flickr

Quick turn around, dropped it off at 8:00 am, got a call it was done at 10:00 am. Welds look adequate.

Evo x diverter valve arrived for the 3.

Also update for the 6, my spare steering rack arrived. #doomsday preppers trying to prepare for the 4-5-6 to become US legal. Came from a 86,000 km car, so that is nice. It is also nice that I can now bolt all of the front suspension and knucles (which I have spares) to the 3. Supposedly if you bolt 4/5 knuckles to the 3 it will reduce the steering ratio, which is combated by using a 5/6 rack. I think the steering ratio in the 6 is 2.4 turns lock to lock from what I remember.

13. mekazilla

mekazilla Theoretician

You filmed all this work for the YouTube version of this thread?

14. tperkins

YO GUIZ WHATS UP

15. tperkins

YO GUYZ WHATS UP ITS YA BOY.

Well no wonder it was quick, it was not good. Should have known better than trust a local heavy equipment shop. I figured, heres the pipe that fits exact, told them it needs to be exact, make a little jig, offered to leave the full stock exhaust, the o2 housing, anything to ensure it was done right.

[​IMG]

Then they wouldn't do anything for me until monday. Which held up all the big jobs I hoped to accomplish this weekend.

Wet sanded the roof, got water into trunk, when cleaning noticed this spring or bolt that mitsubishi just put some sound deadening over.
    [​IMG]

Replaced the trans shifter bushes, they already had some poly bushes that were shoe-horned in with these washers.
    [​IMG]
    Cusco kit fit well, was actually only like 40$ for those bushes, pedestal bushes, and the bushes for the linkage in the cabin.
    [​IMG]

Changed the fuel filter. In my life I was trying to think in the many hours this job took how many fuel filters I have changed in my life.. probably like 20, and this is maybe 1 or 3 that actually needed to be changed. I always blow through them just to see, and check out the black crud that came out of this one. It is also pretty difficult to blow through.. that or I have Corona and shortness of breath.

[​IMG]
    Look where it is located lol. And I had to use a 14mm stubby for the fitting behind the engine, my flare nut wrench set goes 10-11-12-13-15-17. Stupid. Canadian Tire also didn't have any singles.

[​IMG]

Cleaned the engine bay up:
    Cleaned
    [​IMG]
    Not yet cleaned Also removed the HUGE catch can, which was dry and tried to move that relay panel back to the OE spot. Hunt is on for the relay cover, no longer in production.
    [​IMG]

Half cleaned.
    [​IMG]

Full cleaned. Anyone wondering I use Super Clean and a combination of a sponge, plastic brush, and rotary dish brush that looks like a tooth brush.
    [​IMG]

I also changed the plugs and wires. Everything was going well, but probably from the other day when I said fasteners and everything were going well. Got to the #2 plug wire and it was fused in. I broke the lead trying to remove it, had to bend the leftovers to get them out, when they were removed there was like 1/2" of white crusty oxidation in there, and that lead was discoloured. Probably bad connection due to rust and got hot.

Got on my shitty internet, part out of production. OE was manufactured by Diamond, they don't produce them anymore. Cross referencing later leads me to believe it will be the same as a 2g talon, but I will need to use my mounting bracket. So, I found two NGK off rock-auto.. 120$ :D NGK made my plugs and wires for the car from factory, so good enough. Will report back if they fit. Still on the hunt for plug covers as well, as they are also out of production.

Oh! And the mail is holding me up. Waiting for some clips as the interior is ready to go have together. Need clips for the headliner which I ordered on April 8th that still haven't shown up. I am waiting on rad hoses from australia (costs money to not support stupid China.. for hoses probably made in China but the listing said Taiwan). Waiting on the intercooler piping as well.

If you have things to ship Fedex has been fast, business as usual. Canada Post has been pretty slow.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Pajerist likes this.
  16. tperkins

Here is the appropriate viewing distance for the painted roof.

[​IMG]

17. tperkins

Front pipe fixed,

[​IMG]

Next is build test pipe, join cat back to test pipe, remove exhaust manifold, port, ceramic coat all the things.

18. tperkins

This is the only picture of the Truth kit with stock front 3 bumper I could find.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Their website sure is something:
    http://www.truthms.com/

Wing and gas cap primed:
    [​IMG]
    Wing blade still looked mint so rolling dice on the colour match. Gas cap had a spot of surface rust poking through on the corner so sent it.

New coils, which I ordered Friday night from Rock Auto arrived Tuesday Morning. Fast.

The evo 3 ignition coil was on Amayama for 460 USD or something, but it is out of production. This would have came with a new bracket, wiring, and plugs. Turns out the 1997 Eagle Talon TSI coils are a direct replacement if you utilize the stock mounting bracket and wiring. Rock Auto win for 130$.

You can see the lead that got hot which had the corrosion inside of it:
    [​IMG]

I bought that adorable little ignition wrench set and have been waiting for a chance to use them... turns out the nuts are 5/16" lol.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. tperkins

This video is basically me lately, except with less friends and doing everything alone:

Anywho, finished tacking the test pipe and cat back. Made it so that I could bolt the stock cat back in at any time, and I will probably get generic 2.5" high flow cat for the test pipe.

[​IMG]

As you will remember from pages back, the PO or whoever cut the stock section past the cat out and welded it into the (what I thought was apexi until I found a a fujitsubo sticker on the top of the resonator) cat back. Turns out the flange was just shy of 2 1/4" so I replaced it with the 2 1/2" bit anyways. Went overboard with vibrant flanges, and the 3" to 2 1/2" reducer which made things easy. Since I was going to have to pie cut it anyways I just did it on either end of the reducer. Cat flanges are both 2"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. tperkins

Yesterday removed the turbo, spilled all the contents of the coolant pipe on the ground, drained my oil that didn't even have 100 km on it... might re-use, if nothing else I will use it in the Pajero as I collected it into a clean container lol. Perfectly good Liquimoly!

Manifold and turbo off, seems like my manifold had this weird casting imperfection. I looked at a bunch of pictures and none of the other ones look like that where the hole is offset for the collar like that. Most of them did look like a bigger edge. What guys are doing for porting the manifold are removing that whole lip that the ring sits on and just running the metal gasket.

Upon looking at it, looking at the turbo, I think if you did that side of the manifold and then ported the o2 housing as well, there is certainly something to gain... but I didn't want to get into porting the turbo so I just matched the outlet to the metal sleeve.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This gasket was pooched.
    [​IMG]

Took the manifold to those bros this morning to fill the hole.. I wasn't too confident on welding cast, I know you can heat it up with a torch and weld it up, but again they have been very reasonable to deal with.

RyanV likes this.