Discussion in 'Toyota' started by Dah_Hunter, Jun 21, 2013.
wha!?! that much? here at least ICBC can't turn you down. silver lining to it's monopoly
Same with Manitoba. I was paying $800/year for all purpose insurance on my GC8. I think it's less for the Pajero.
grayhamwiebe: You don't think the SOCOM boys would light me up for brining a Mitsubishi to a Subaru meet?
Edit: Derp. Blood/caffiene levels too low.
I'll make sure you get to meet one if/when I get one.
Yes in Ontario your suppose to not be turned away if you have a valid drivers license and registered vehicle. But new powers given to insurance companies allow them to refuse.
1. The vehicle- due to risk
2. The driver- due to risk
Which just baffles us.
Facility cant refuse. But facility decides if a high risk driver is paying 3600-4800 before being cancelled by there providers, why shouldn't we charge them the same or more since;
I say " we are their only option" they say " because we have to insure you regardless of the risk involved with insuring high risk drivers"
Sorry for thread jack
.... So ...... How 'bout them altezzas....
I would rock that as a daily driver.
I saw this too. Really nice car, but yellow isn't for me.
Here is some info i stole from another forum:
Basic Facts :
- Altezza was manufactured from Oct 1998 to Jul 2005.
- Altezza competitors are . BMW E46 325i and Merc C-Class W203 C230.
- There are 2 model RS200 & AS200. Malaysia most are RS200.
- RS200 is Sports model. Engine 3S-GE 200hp/216nm/7000rpm (Auto) 210hp/216nm/7,800rpm (Manual)
- Dual VVTI 16 Valve DOHC. Top cylinder head was developed by Yamaha. Manual Transmision car have titananium valves.
- Auto : 5 Speed Tiptronic (A650E). Taken from Lexus GS300. Max Power Rating: 325 wheel horse power according to wikipedia.
(So it can easily handle the 200hp)
- Manual : 6 speed.(J160) from Aisin (AZ6)
- Rear diferential for auto : 3.9 (1998 to 2000) & 4.1 (2001 to 2005) LSD (Torsen) is an option. Traction control is an option
- Rear diferential for manual : 4.1 (1998 to 2000) & 4.3 ( 2001 to 2005) LSD (Torsen) is standard. Traction conttol is an option.
- Suspension : Front & Rear : Double Wishbone.
- Weight : 1,340kg to 1360kg Manual & 1,360kg to 1380kg Auto. This is heavy car dont expect Type R performance.
- Body : Monoque shell. Very rigid due to Rear wheel drive configuration.
- 0-100km\h = 7.3 sec for manual & 7.8 sec for auto.( Not sure which Final Drive was used)
- Fuel Tank = 60 Litres . Consumption 430-500km/per tank. Mixed driving city and highway.
- Top speed. limited 180\km\h if removed approximately 240km\hr.
- Wheel : 17x7 Tire 215\45\17. Offset +50.
- Brakes : Front = Twin Pot. Rear = Single Pot. Disc diameter Front : 296mm Rear 307mm.
- Engine oil need to use Fully Synthetic 5.3 litres 5W-30 or 5W-40. Change every 5,000km to 7,000km
- Oil Filter is same as Altis, Vios. Change when oil change.
- Auto Gear Box oil : Toyota Type IV : Same as Altis, Vios or Camry : 4 Litre change every 20,000km.
- Manual gear box oil : Toyota oil. 20,000km
- Rear Differential oil. Toyota Differential oil. Change every 20,000km.
- Airfilter : Change every 20,000km or altenatively can use K&N internal filter.
- Spark Plugs : Denso IK20 change every 100,000km.
- Fuel Filter : Every 100,000 km.
- Aircon pollen filter : 30,000km. Denso.
- Power steering fuild : 50,000km.
- Radiator coolant : Toyota Long Life. Coolant 20,000km.
- Timing Belt & Water Pump : 100,000km.
- Others belts : 50,000km.
- Throttle Body needs cleaning every 10,000km.
- MAP sensor needs cleaning every 20,000km to 30,000km.
- If your into modifying the engine then buy a 6MT. More parts and cheaper than 5AT.
- 5AT has less upgrade parts and quite expensive.
- 6Mt can use standalone ECU like Apexi Power FC. Plug & play in the original ECU box.
- 5AT can use Apexi Power FC from Brash Boy only. Run as a piggy back cos need to retain original ECU to run the gearbox.
- 5AT can only use HKS SLD Type II to remove speedcut.
- 6MT can most of the aftermarket speedcut remover.
- 5AT can only use panel air filter. Open pod not recommended.Loss power and can damage throttle body.
- 6MT can use open pod filters.
- 5AT & 6MT Most owners will upgrade the suspension and anti roll bar cos original is quite soft.
- 5AT Exhaust
New Parts and Service :
- Maintainance parts like Oil Filter, Air Filter, Brake pads, clutch plate, timing belt kit, absorbers, bearing etc are available
- Non maintainance parts like body parts, bumpers and lights may require ordering.
New Parts : Wing Hin. Jalan Loke Yew : Carry some Altezza parts but they are happy to order for you if required.
: ST Auto. Jalan Ipoh : Carry some Altezza parts but they are happy to order for you if required.
Service : Riyoz Racing (formerly known as Trial Tuning Sdn Bhd). Taman Sg Besi
: Toyota Altezza specialist. Able to repair and upgrade Altezza.
: Able to obtain new and used parts for Altezza (Performance & Maintenance parts).
: One Stop Shop for all Altezza needs. Pre-Purchase Inspection also available.
: Dyno Facility and Toyota diagnostic equipment available.
: Vision Bangsar & Sunway : Maintenance also can be done here.
Ownership experience : 2003 5AT and later upgraded the transmision to 6MT.
- This car is very durable just like any other toyota. Most Altezza in malaysia are close to 8 to 12 years old.
- If you compare against it competitor, none of them can come close in terms of reliability and durability.
- The maintenance cost is reasonable. It is like maintaing a Camry. It will be costly only if you need to change
non maintainence parts.
- The driving experience is very enjoyable. The FR layout is very good. Sometime it is hard to believe it is a Toyota.
- Toyota did not cut cost when developing this car. The suspension is Double wish bone all around.
- The advantage of this layout compared to normal strut type is very good handling without compromising comfort.
- Altezza is fairly comfortable car with handling to match. If you need more firm ride then after market coilovers
are readily available. i.e For starters Tein Super Street is basic setup. For more advance setup Tein Flex or HKS Hipermax etc.
Most important check the spring rating on the coilover. i.e The standard spring rate is 5kg/mm for front and 3 kg/mm at the rear.
- Weight distribution is close to 50:50 which helps in handling. Lateral grip also very good due to FR layout.
- For spirited driver recommended to change the Anti Roll Bar. The original is too soft in my opinion.
- The brakes are oversized for this type of car with twin pot front and single pot rear. The brakes are quite strong.
Front brakes have protruding air ducts for rapid cooling.
- The engine is a gem which revs up till 7,200rpm for Auto and 7,800rpm for manual.
- Surge in power can be felt around 4,000 rpm for auto. Peak torque.
- The rear muffler has a flap which open for highflow during high RPM.
- The gear ratio is optimised for performance where there is no flat spot.
- The 5 speed tiptronic is quite quick in responding to your command to downshift.
- The triptronic can hold gear. Even at rev cut the gear will not up shift.
- 5AT at 100km\hr the RPM is 2,800rpm for Final drive = 4.1.(A02?) where ? "A" for open diff and "B" for torsen LSD
- 5AT at 100km\hr the RPM is 2,500rpm for Final drive = 3.9.(A01?) where ? "A" for open diff and "B" for torsen LSD
- 6MT at 100km\hr the RPM is X,XXXrpm for Final drive = 4.1.(A02?) where ? "A" for open diff and "B" for torsen LSD
- 6MT at 100km\hr the RPM is X,XXXrpm for Final drive = 4.3.(A03?) where ? "A" for open diff and "B" for torsen LSD
Common problems : Based on cars aged between 8 to 12 years old.
- E-Trottle : Need to service every second oil change. This is not costly around RM60.
- If you fail to keep it clean can result in failure which can be exoensive however used unit for a fraction of the price.
- O2 sensor : Subjective. Previous owner may changed it. It fail due to age. Once changed can last for many years.
- Oil leak near camshaft sensor. Cheap to replace the gasket.
- Suspension bushes. Again due to age. Pricing depend on which bushing changed.
- 2001 model onward the dashbord is sprayed with rubberised material which will melt overtime. The solution is remove the rubber and respray flat black.
- Aircon sometime will have a cricket sound after 6-8 years. Need to replace the actuator.
Market Value in 2010. 2011 2012 2013 No of units in Malaysia (Based on my knowledge)
1998 70,000 to 75,000 65,000 60,000 55,000 (Many Units)
1999 75,000 to 80,000 70,000 65,000 60,000 (Many units)
2000 80,000 to 85,000 75,000 70,000 65,000 (Many units)
2001 90,000 to 95,000 85,000 80,000 75,000 (Few units)
2002 100,000 to 105,000 100,000 90,000 85,000 (Few units)
2003 110,000 to 115,000 110,000 105,000 95,000 (3 Units)
2004 120,000 to 125,000 120,000 115,000 110,000 (1 unit)
2005 130,000 to 135,000 130,000 125,000 120,000 (1 Unit)
-Price depends on condition.
-Manual transmission command slightly higher price.
-Upgraded car will also command higher price. I.e Turbo, supercharger etc.
-The above market value is only an estimate and can change according to economy and bank lending rules.
-As I know for you still can get loan for car less than 15 years old. So if you are a die hard fan buy before the car reaches 15years.
-Or wait until it reaches 15 years old and buy it cash. One day it will become a classic just like AE86. Now days small RWD cars are rare.
-FWD are are more profitable for car manufactures compared to RWD that is why this layout is reserved for more expensive model.
Known Key Differences : Model Change.
May 2001 onwards
- Seat Material.
- Dashbord and steering wheel no longer 2 tone
- Dashboard sprayed with rubberised material.
- Speedometer outer ring is black.
- For Manual transmission the meter has additional LCD screen for speed etc.
- 4.1 FD for Auto and 4.3 FD for Manual.
- HID with auto leveling.
- Yellow Spotlight. (MC 07/2002)
- New Front Grill.
- Door moulding is thicker.
- Front Armrest.
Known Option : Depending on grade . Basic or Z Edition or L Edition. Some option is standard on certain grade.
- Sat Nav (Auto & manual)
- Super Live Sound System (Auto & Manual)
- After Market CD\DVD System.
- TRC (Auto)
- LSD (Auto)
- Headlight Washer (Auto & Manual)
- Rear Foglight & Bigger wiper washer tank for Snow Version.(Auto & Manual)
- Chrome Auto gate shift.
- Chrome Ball Auto gear Shift
- Auto light.
- Rear Boot Spoiler with Third Brake light
- Full Neo Bumper
- Front Skirting,
- Side and rear Skirting
- Rear High Spoiler.
- Door Courtesy Light (Auto & Manual)
- Front Electric Seat (Auto & Manual)
- Side Airbags (Auto & Manual)
- Rear Luggage access.
- Privacy Glass.
- ETC (Electronic Toll Collection).
5AT Upgrade do and dont's
- Auto : never use open pod filter as will lose power and possibly damage the Electronic Throttle Body.
- Auto : Retain the orignal air box and use panel filter like K&N etc.
- Auto : Used HKS SLD Type II to remove speed cut. Other brand does not work.
- Auto : E manage does not work cos original ECU will try to gain control of engine and transmission parameters.
- Auto : Apexi Power FC tuned by Brash Boy is more suitable as a piggyback computer.
- Auto : Dynojet Powercommander III works well.
- Auto : Never remove the catalic convertor. You will lose low end torque. Unless have a after market computer to adjust the AFR and ignition timing.
I was looking into buying a Acura TSX for a daily next year but these are really appealing.
Do it! Do it, do it.
Haha well see how big of a chunk I can take out of my student loans over the winter.
Check out my pics of the Altezza i have here:
I just joined the Altezza club too
Nice to see more of these coming in!
Nice one, William. I like that aero kit, from the rear anyways. The wheels on the other hand...
I still plan on getting one of these.
Oh the wheels are nasty on this car, will be gone for sure.
Any pics from the front?
Nice! Looks pretty good other than the wheels and chrome window trim. Is this a personal car or is it for a customer?
This one I'm going to keep.
Separate names with a comma.