Toaster? Bread box? Short bus? Small Flex?

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Ihatedomestic, May 17, 2016.

1. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

Placed a random bid on this the other night, through Andrew at Pacific Coast Auto...and unexpectedly won! ...and at a really decent price considering its condition. Those with auction access can be the judge on the sold price :)
    This is my super commuter/economical/practical car that will be replacing my Legacy GT-B...whenever it arrives.
    This is a drastic departure from anything I've owned previously. First Toyota, first Automatic, first solid rear axle, first non-sporty sedan/coupe and first car that I've owned after the model year 1999! Seriously!
    download.jpg
    download (4).jpg
    download (2).jpg

IMPUL likes this.
  2. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Nice! Looks super clean with 4.5B and 4WD should make it perfect during the winter.

3. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Sweet! Kind of random, but definitely could be worse!

4. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

I love those... i love the Open Deck's even more..

I just havent been able to pull the trigger.

Congrats.

5. Xanicron

Xanicron I'm trying

Different enough to be cool, and modern enough to blend in. Looks absolutely mint, nice buy!

Is it actually 4WD though? I thought these only came as front drive.

6. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

I think for JDM market they have everything in 4WD: Corolla, Camry, Vitz (Echo) etc. Also look at the action sheet, model number is NCP35, digit "5" means 4WD, regular 2 WD Toyota BB will have model number NCP30 (and maybe 31). Same applies for most Toyota models: having "5" as the last digit means 4WD.

7. Ihatedomestic

Yes, AWD. Solid rear axle, like in an AE86 Corolla!

NCP30 = 1.3L ENGINE
    NCP31 = 1.5L ENGINE
    NCP34 = Open Deck model (1.5L, only 2000-2001
    NCP35 = AWD, 1.5L

8. IanB

IanB New Member

The fact that it's AWD is awesome! Nice little commuter, congrats!

9. Ihatedomestic

PCA picked up an Open Deck version for their "work truck". I actually had a bid in on this one, but won the other first.
    I hope Paul wasn't being sarcastic...I think they are pretty cool!
    PCA video

10. Ihatedomestic

It's here...finally.
    Looking forward to Ben updating his 'car pick up day thread'

Garth likes this.
  11. Ihatedomestic

So I've had this car since mid July and has been a great commuter. Only issue so far has been the R/F wheel bearing...it was making all sorts of noises. Turns out that one of the ball bearings decided to destroy itself. Luckily, most of the suspension bits are Echo based, so most parts seem readily available.
    Note the ball at the 12 o'clock position:
    [​IMG]

Destroyed. Everything else in the bearing looked fine.
    [​IMG]

The underside looks pretty nice. If anyone ever asks me why I always drive Japanese cars...I always show them pics of the underside of the cars. Almost always get the "That car is 15 years old?!?!" reaction. This thing is going to get undercoated very soon. It'll smell like LPS3 in no time!
    http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/612
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only real complaints I have so far is the engine and transmission. This thing really needs more power...and a manual. The automatic is terrible in this thing. going uphill, you will lose about 10km/h in speed...then it will click out of torque converter lock-up...then you'll lose 5 more km from your speed, then it will downshift into 3rd...as you're about 7/8 the way up the hill. But, it won't stay in that lower gear and will quickly upshift back into 4th. thankfully, there is an "O/D OFF" button on the shifter...or as I like to call it, the GUH (Get Up Hills) button. This transmission will also upshift quickly and allow the engine to struggle and/or lug. it does not use the engines power band at all. I have actually noticed a difference in fuel economy, for the better, if I use the GUH button on my daily commute. On the plus side of this drivetrain combo, it gets a very consistent 8-8.5 L/100km per tank. Not bad for a crude AWD brick. I fear it won't be long before I get to test it out in the snow.

oh, and I put LEDs in the "city light" locations in the headlights. Looks cool at night, no? I also installed factory fog lamps. Turns out all the wiring was there (behind the bumper cover and behind the dash)...just needed to add a relay, which I pulled from a wrecked Echo. Plug and play fog lamps was the best discovery about this car so far.
    [​IMG]

12. Ihatedomestic

I almost forgot to thank Pacific Coast Auto for the easy, hassle free buying process (and cool videos)...and another big thanks go out to Ben @ FVI, who picked the car up, changed the oil and delivered it to the rail yard...all around the time of the July 1st long weekend. Thanks again Ben!

13. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

i totaly forgot to follow up with you to make sure it arrived.. your welcome though.
    :)

14. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

How was the rail delivery? Was it affordable, and did it come in a fairly timely manner without and dings/scratches? I've been wondering if it is worth while to do, Vancouver to Halifax I would imagine yes, where as I am in Calgary so it is still probably cheaper to get a truck transport.

15. silent112

silent112 Ryan

My friend also had a wheel bearing issue with his LHD scion XB, I think it could be common since they used parts from a smaller lighter car. (This was also 6-7 years ago when it was fairly new)

16. Ihatedomestic

I had it rail shipped to Montreal, then drove it home to Halifax. This was not my ideal way to get the car. Let's just say that rail shipping is not economical...especially if you are paying full retail price. Apparently, car dealers can get a wholesale rate. At the time, i was quoted about $2200 for the train, from BC to NS. To Montreal, it was about $500 less than that.
    Car arrived in about 10-12 days and had no new dents that i could see...or that the small car rental-esque inspection diagram showed anything different.
    Again, not my ideal way to ship and much prefer paying Ro/Ro to Halifax...even though it takes forever.

Murrdawg02 likes this.
  17. Ihatedomestic

Car has been sold. It has gone to a couple in rural New Brunswick where it is being enjoyed...and put to use delivering mail!

I did nothing to this car except drive it and keep up with the maintenance. The combination of low horsepower and an automatic transmission that upshifted at the slightest lift of the gas pedal, were the deciding factors that made me realize it's not for me and does not suit my driving style.
    New car on the way...just as practical, but hopefully better suited to me.