The Beast: E39 M5

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Nov 1, 2017.

1. IanB

IanB New Member

Sounds like it would be a lot of work just to get a 15+ year old nav system working, unless keeping it OEM is really important to you, I'd skip it and move on. Aftermarket decks provide far better connectivity and features anyways.

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

Replaced the oil filter housing mounts. Apparently, very common for these to fail. One had sheared in half.

[​IMG]

I also started taking apart the interior today to work on the stereo.

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

I had some time to start back on this yesterday...The good news is I think the wiring shouldn't be too bad to sort out to get the factory head unit to control the radio again. It looks like I found the location where they spliced in and pulled the wiring to the front. The bad news is that the previous owner totally messed up the threads on the body for the driver's seat bolts. Three of the four mounting points will need work. This isn't accessible from below either, so I guess I'll start by purchasing a tap and die set and hopefully that can fix the threads. After that I guess I'm looking at a Helicoil type fix.

4. IanB

IanB New Member

Oh man, seat bolts are kind of important! Hopefully there's enough meat left you can clean them up with a tap and some new bolts?