The Beast: E39 M5

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Nov 1, 2017.

  1. IanB

    IanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2013
    Messages:
    754
    Location:
    Winnipeg, MB
    Sounds like it would be a lot of work just to get a 15+ year old nav system working, unless keeping it OEM is really important to you, I'd skip it and move on. Aftermarket decks provide far better connectivity and features anyways.
     
  2. RyanV

    RyanV Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2013
    Messages:
    1,883
    Location:
    Langley, BC
    Replaced the oil filter housing mounts. Apparently, very common for these to fail. One had sheared in half.

    [​IMG]

    I also started taking apart the interior today to work on the stereo.
     
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020 at 8:25 PM
  3. RyanV

    RyanV Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2013
    Messages:
    1,883
    Location:
    Langley, BC
    I had some time to start back on this yesterday...The good news is I think the wiring shouldn't be too bad to sort out to get the factory head unit to control the radio again. It looks like I found the location where they spliced in and pulled the wiring to the front. The bad news is that the previous owner totally messed up the threads on the body for the driver's seat bolts. Three of the four mounting points will need work. This isn't accessible from below either, so I guess I'll start by purchasing a tap and die set and hopefully that can fix the threads. After that I guess I'm looking at a Helicoil type fix.
     
  4. IanB

    IanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2013
    Messages:
    754
    Location:
    Winnipeg, MB
    Oh man, seat bolts are kind of important! Hopefully there's enough meat left you can clean them up with a tap and some new bolts?
     
  5. RyanV

    RyanV Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2013
    Messages:
    1,883
    Location:
    Langley, BC
    More investigation and wiring work and I think I'm well on my way to getting the radio and speaker stuff sorted. Removed the extra wires that were spliced into the harness leading to the radio receiver.

    [​IMG]

    I clipped off all the aftermarket wires that were connected to the factory setup and unplugged the harnesses from the amp. Wires clipped off.

    [​IMG]

    When I removed the harnesses I found the one that all of the wires need to be reconnected to.

    [​IMG]

    I spliced into this, but it was a pain since I used connectors rather than soldering. I don't have soldering skills good enough and since it was clipped off so short I'm sure it would be a pain to do as well. No photos of it connected, but it's not pretty. I won't get it tested until sometime in the new year and I still have to look at the antenna cable as well.
     
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020 at 8:24 PM
  6. RyanV

    RyanV Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2013
    Messages:
    1,883
    Location:
    Langley, BC
    Hmm...I'll have to fix the photos later...Actually...it looks like all of the photos from this thread aren't working. I have no idea what's happening with that.
     
  7. RyanV

    RyanV Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2013
    Messages:
    1,883
    Location:
    Langley, BC
    I think I fixed the photos. I somehow changed a permission setting.