The Beast: E39 M5

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Nov 1, 2017.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

I originally bought this car just because I wanted to try an E39 M5, but I didn't really intend to keep it long term. I suspect I may have this car a bit longer than I originally thought, so I thought I'd start a thread for it.

As usual, I bought the car through Mark at Brave Auto. It's not perfect, but the price was right for the condition. The auction grade was 4B which is usually what I'm looking for and the kms were just under 99,000 which is great considering that most of the local E39 M5's are 180,000kms or more.

No local photos yet, so here are a few of the MANY Mark took for me in Japan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The interior is clean which is great because I find it much easier to fix little blemishes on the exterior rather than the interior. The car has been smoked in at some point, but it seems like it may have been a while since it was smoked in as it doesn't smell smokey. The car is mostly stock but it does have:
    • Front strut tower brace
    • K&N air filters
    • KW V3 coilovers which are fully adjustable (and super expensive!!!)
    • Carbon fiber front lip (maybe not actually carbon fiber, but it's definitely a fiber of some sort which can be seen since it was damaged >:()
    • Eibach front and rear sway bars.
    • I think the speakers have been upgraded since it came with stock speakers, but maybe they are just spares. Still need to investigate.
    It didn't need much to pass inspection which was nice. Just some tires, DRL and some ball joints on the rear. All I've done for work on it otherwise is an oil change. However, it does have a list of things to do:
    • Change out the head unit. I want to look into upgrading to the MKIV BMW nav system. Since this car is from Japan, I'm not sure if it's a straight plug and play swap like the North American models.
    • Remove all the extra wiring from the current stereo/headunit setup.
    • Fix the driver's seat. Stuck at the highest or close to highest position (not uncommon).
    • Change out the thermostat and temperature sensor.
    • Flush/replace fluids.
    • Replace the valve cover gaskets since there are a few visible leaks. Engine bay is nice and clean, so I want to do this before they really make a mess.
    I've driven the car almost 1,000 kms so far and aside from the fuel bill it's awesome. It's just a really nice place to be while travelling. Quiet, smooth and tons of power/torque. I just need to fix the seat because right now it's way too high for me. Get that seating position down and it will be perfect.

2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Nice, your going to run out of parking room at your place soon.

:)

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Yup, already maxed out, LOL! Tenant is moving in in a couple of weeks, so they will use the spot out on the street. I could add access from the alley in the back, but then I lose part of the yard which I don't want to do.

4. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Nice car!

5. IanB

IanB New Member

Those are cool cars, I wish the E55 AMG had been a manual trans, would have made it a way better car to drive.

You've had both, is this a faster car than the E55 AMG? Can't really compare ride/handling as this one is all aftermarket bits I guess.

6. RyanV

RyanV Member

Hands down the M5 is faster. However, it always feels a lot different driving a car with a manual transmission. As you know, even with the same weight and power a car with a manual transmission will feel faster since you have more control or just easier control of the gearing.

With the changes mentioned I'm sure this car rides quite a bit stiffer than it would with the stock components. It's not uncomfortable, but it's a much harsher ride than the W210's. I'm sure if my wife was to pick a vehicle we were to take a drive in it would always be the Aristo. It's a more comfortable ride for passengers and the ride/comfort between the W210 and the JZS147 is very comparable. Or at least it is with my current suspension setup on the JZS147. I think the stock suspension would be a bit softer.

7. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Ryan! Congrats on the M5.

I have always wanted one of these. That V8 combined with the 6 spd.... :drool:

I’m curious to know if prices in Japan are comparable to what they are going for here.

Other than the fuel economy, it seems like the perfect road trip cruiser. Glad to hear your going to keep it!

8. RyanV

RyanV Member

Thanks!

TBH, the price is not substantially different. Eg:

http://www.braveautointernational.jp/vehicle-2/704/bmw-e39-m5.html

I'm sure that will sell quickly, so you probably won't be able to see the price for long. It's the same price (or maybe a bit less) to import one, but you get about half the kilometers of the local cars. Also a bit better condition. Eg. fewer dents and scratches on the exterior and since the kms are less the interior is in better shape.

9. RyanV

RyanV Member

Bought an OEM widescreen head unit from an X5, so I'm just waiting for that to show up. I'm trying to get a set of Style 66 wheels for a winter setup, but I don't seem to get any replies back from the CL ads :(

Next thing I want to get done is replace the valve cover gaskets. I noticed a bit of leaking at one location and since the engine bay is all nice and clean...for now...I'd like to replace it before it makes a mess.

10. RyanV

RyanV Member

Finally got a reply from an ad and picked up a set of 8" Style 66 wheels. Two of them have winter tires on them too, so I just need to get two more and I'm set! :)

11. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

I look forward to what you're going to do with this! Such awesome cars!

12. JDeee

JDeee New Member

that looks sleek. did you finish installing the new wheels?

13. RyanV

RyanV Member

Pic when I went out for a drive on Saturday:

[​IMG]

Yes, sir! After the drive she went to winter mode. This will be my DD until I'm done working on the cruiser.

[​IMG]

While changing the wheels I thought it was odd that the fronts had aftermarket wheel studs. After removing the wheels it was obvious...about 5mm spacer on there:

[​IMG]

14. Dah_Hunter

Stopping at Carl Jr for a snack before a drive always a good idea.

15. RyanV

RyanV Member

Pretty good you can tell the location from that pic, LOL! Maybe the signs give it away? But no, I wasn't there for Carls Jr.

16. Dah_Hunter

im pretty familiar with this area.. lol.

17. RyanV

RyanV Member

Milestone reached the other night.

[​IMG]

IanB likes this.