Stacey the Stagea Station Wagon

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Murrdawg02, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

So to get rid of the pigeon under my hood I installed a BOV. Probably healthier for the engine and turbo anyways. I had a knockoff HKS BOV laying around from when I turbo'd the Safari... I bought it before I even knew diesels don't use BOVs :giggle:.
    All I needed was an RB HKS adapter and I was good to go. Bolts into the stock location with two bolts and has a short line to the manifold, Couldn't be easier. I have to say I think I liked the sound better before, but I will take this knowing that this is better for the car.
    [​IMG] Can't get the photos to work but I will upload them later today

IanB likes this.
  2. Murrdawg02

3. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Nice. I'm sure you still get some good sounds out of that thing!

4. Murrdawg02

Ill have to post up a video of the BOV goodness!

I was always skeptical of grounding kits, but after reading some reviews online I figured why not. Most people claimed better sound from the car stereo, better throttle response, and all in all a 1% increase on the butt dyno. I don't like the flashiness of most grounding kits, and sometimes you dont know what your getting- like wire gauge being smaller than advertised, or copper clad aluminum. I decided to go to a welding shop to get 2 gauge welding ground cable, and run 1 ground to the alternator, 1 to the engine, and 1 to the chassis. The whole set up cost me less than $25 and took no time to install. I might change some of the connection points when I have more time, but for now this works.

And the result? Not much to be honest, maybe a little bit less hiss in the stereo, but nothing definitely noticeable. But for the effort it took I am not complaining.

[​IMG]

Pajerist likes this.
  5. Murrdawg02

I really have to do a better job of updating this.
    Small update, I used a 3M headlight restoration kit and am very happy with the results. Took less than 20min per headlight. We will see how long it lasts.

Attached Files:

Pajerist and RyanV like this.
  6. Soren

Soren Hiatus is the best way to control the urges..

Very clean. Nice work man. What a wild and eye catching stagea. How bout some new pics now that shes legal!!

7. Murrdawg02

This was my highway vehicle going back and fourth between Calgary and Edmonton while I worked up there for a year. Needless to say the winter did not treat her very well, as whomever previously painted the bumper did a horrible job and didn't use any primer (more on that later) so the bumper was nicely sandblasted.
    In the summertime I put on some Niche Citrine rims on it with the original tires that came from Japan. The Citrines are by no means a light weight rim, but weight reduction is not the name of the game when it comes to a fat-ass Stagea, right? Tires are pretty much done so I plan on putting on some Firestone Firehawks on these rims.
    IMG_20160423_135936.jpg IMG_20160423_140011.jpg IMG_20160509_202641.jpg IMG_20160509_202650.jpg

IanB, Pajerist, pitty and 1 other person like this.
  8. Murrdawg02

I had an issue with the stock boost gauge, where it would randomly work, sometimes the needle wouldn't move, and sometimes pinned off the gauge, and sometimes working fine. I have an aftermarket boost gauge, but its nice to have the OEM stuff working properly. I did a bit of searching and came across another forum that mentioned it can be caused by solder in the the boost sensor cracking from vibration. So the simple fix is to pop open the sensor, and re-liquefy the solder on the 3 large pins going to the connector. Really easy to do and figured it can't hurt, and after a week of driving it seems to have fixed the issue, however time will tell as it was an intermittent issue and I am not always staring at my boost gauge.
    Re solder the 3 largest pins at the top of this picture, the ones just below the brass screw.

IMG_20180802_212809.jpg

9. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Wow! Such a juicy red on stunning rims! I AM jealous...

10. Murrdawg02

So as I mentioned earlier, the front bumper was in dire straits after driving on the highway between Calgary and Edmonton for a full summer, and worse a full winter. Almost the whole bottom of the bumper was no longer red after taking many gravel hits, straight to the face. On top of that the bumper had been previously repaired, albeit very poorly, by the previous owner. The nose of the 260 RS bumper is longgg, and that combined with a lowered car makes it very easy to scrape any parking entrance that is too steep of an approach. And the repair job looked great from the outside, but was clearly not a durable solution after I myself decided to do some paint transfer (and donating fiberglass chunks) to concrete on more than one occasion. Again never remembered to take some photos of the damage, but this gives you an idea of what can happen.
    [​IMG]
    Thankfully mine wasnt that bad, with only the very front of the lip that was completely missing. So with the paint damage, it was time to take the bumper off and begin the task of fiberglassing a new lip and a respray.
    Here is the bumper removed, with the extent of the damage from the backside. Note the previous repair work in off yellow.
    IMG_20180526_161736.jpg IMG_20180526_161738.jpg
    We made up a rough form out of thin plywood and flexible tube, and then laid fiberglass into the form. after 2 layers, I was left with a very rough shape, but it was something better than nothing.
    IMG_20180530_192934.jpg
    So began, shaping, sanding, shaping, laying more layers of fiberglass, and so on until I got the correct shape and contours. It was at this point that I realized that whenever this bumper was sprayed after the original repair, it doesn't look like any primer was used, and therefore it was easier to strip all the paint off with a heat gun and razor blade. I highly recommend you check if this method works on any project, as its more effective than sanding.
    IMG_20180810_223245.jpg IMG_20180815_190214.jpg IMG_20180815_195503.jpg IMG_20180815_195514.jpg IMG_20180815_195529.jpg
    After many many hours prepping and forming, sanding, filling, it was finally time to spray. I sprayed the primer at too low of a pressure, therefore it required much more sanding with 400 grit before the base coat. I didnt get it all out and ended up with a little bit of orange peel, but I am really happy with the overall result, which probably looks 90% of what youd get from a professional job. But the rest of the car is 18 years old, so I probably wouldnt want it looking show room anyways ;). At this point I havent even wet sanded the clear coat, which I could do down the road, however I was getting very itchy to drive the car so I skipped that step. So hopefully I can keep it looking this way for a while, as it was an extremely time consuming project and I learned a lot which would save some time next go around, but its not a project I relish.
    IMG_20180815_215309.jpg

11. Murrdawg02

And final pics
    IMG_20180817_172539.jpg IMG_20180817_172548.jpg IMG_20180817_172608.jpg IMG_20180820_235227.jpg IMG_20180829_173603.jpg

RyanV, Greg, Pajerist and 1 other person like this.
  12. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Congrats!
    It is quite an achievement!
    Well done!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  13. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

great job.

14. RyanV

RyanV Member

I don't doubt that was a ton of work. Great job! :)

Done just in time for another winter beating? :(

15. Murrdawg02

Thanks All! It was a painful but rewarding project with much learnt.

Yea pretty much ready to take a beating lol. I have been thinking maybe using 3M film would be a good idea, but I imagine its probably pretty tough to apply the film around tight contours. Anyone applied it themselves?
    Fingers crossed my paint job will be more durable than the last. 2 part primer and auto body grade basecoat/clearcoat.

16. Murrdawg02

So I don't know if my paint job wasn't up to snuff or if Calgary roads are already that bad, but I already have some solid paint chips :(
    Therefore I am looking into some paint protection film. I would like to install it myself, but from what I have heard it is a bit of a nightmare and really needs an expert installer- and this bumper wont be easy. My question is has anyone tried installing the film themselves? Any thoughts on brand, and if its possible to install by a home jobber or should I buck up and pay the ~$400?

17. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

I've done vinyl wrap on small pieces (motorcycle heel guards, tank, and a car hood)
    I'd practice on something small and judge for yourself. Like window tint, or painting it's simple but there is a 'nack to it.
    I would not attempt the bumper myself without more practice.

18. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Those wheels look pretty fancy. Needs more rubber to protect the lips!

@mekazilla may be able to chime in on wrap.

19. mekazilla

mekazilla Theoretician

20. Murrdawg02

Thanks for the suggestion! I used to be in Edmonton a lot, but I have no plans to go in the near future :(