Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Ihatedomestic, Jan 8, 2015.
Some day..some day...
Did some playing around in the garage the other day...and this is the result of my madness:
1st attempt at making carbon fibre front fenders (actually, just one) for the Beat. The car needs more weight taken from the rear, than the front, but I can't do trunk lids...yet...
Only 3 plies thick and a bit wonky. 4 plies thick with some different weave orientation would work out better.
Weighs about 110 grams., compared to the stock steel fender at 700 grams.
Undecided wheather to go clear coat or a flat/satin yellow. Maybe plastidip?
Very nice. How did you go about making the piece? Just carbon fibre directly over the existing piece as the mould with some release gel? Or pre-preg in a vacuum bag and baked?
Took the original fender, wrapped it in release plastic.
Used dry cloth, wet out by hand, then jammed the whole thing in a big envelope bag, sucked it dowm and hoped for the best
Room temperature cure. Used the heat from the electric vacuum pump to speed things up a bit.
Installed the new stereo the other day. Have to say that this little stereo is pretty awesome...not only for its size, but its price as well!
The face from the factory unit was removed (without damaging the OEM unit, in case I want to return it to stock) and fits snugly in the hole where it once was. This leaves the new stereo concealed and also provides a little bit of extra storage when in place.
See my review of this unique little stereo...coming soon...
Oh, I also installed a 12v outlet, as seen in the last 2 pics. There was a spot for one and the wiring harness was right there too...buuuuut, I guess it was an option that the original owner didn't want to spring for!
Looks neat ... I'd be torn between the factory look and just making a piece that sits flush.
Daily drove this car for about 1.5 months while I waited for my new daily driver to arrive. Performed great, except on 3 occasions where it would run rough and not rev above 4000rpm. New-to-me ECU, with repairs and upgrades done previously, was installed...problem disappeared and so did the continuous CEL:
Finally clay bar/waxed this thing. Turns everything that touches it, yellow. I think it cleaned up quite nicely....
Managed to get it out to a couple of AutoXs as well. Still needs tires and suspension. Just ordered tires today!
This car has been living in my garage this winter, as apposed to being stored at a friend's place. Therefore, I've been able to a few things to it when I have the time...and money. Tax return is free money, right??? I blew it all on suspension upgrades. Every cent of it.
My new prized possessions...Blitz ZZ-R complete coilover set:
Installed, along with new extended wheel studs and rotors. Not shown: wheel spacers and new brake pads.
New race rubber installed, just so I know that they fit. "Wide" 185/60/14 Nankank NS-2R.
Also made another rear window. Thinner, lighter plastic this time. Stuff meant for actual car/boat roof or awnings.
Did some other misc maintenance stuff as well (ecu check, distributor check and timing reset). Before spring arrives and the road salt disappears, I still have to make 2 carbon fibre front fenders and make a seat cover for the driver's seat back. Sooooo much labor needed for all of these things...I'm not looking forward to it
The 14" race rubber shown in the pics above ended up being too big. Yep...185/60/14 tires were too big! The tire/rim combo was just too heavy and killed what little acceleration I had. Determined to get a decent setup and run a few more autocrosses...I found some Civic VX wheels and ordered in some 175/50/13 race rubber. They look pretty sweet, if I do say so...
Looks pretty good!
So tiny too! About 3" diameter smaller than my miata tires.
Separate names with a comma.