So....I guess I bought a Beat

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Ihatedomestic, Jan 8, 2015.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

That looks like fun! :)

What speeds were you up to? It looks fast, but I find the fisheye makes it seem faster than it usually is.

2. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

Coming into the slow-box at the end, I was at the top of third gear, which is about 100km/h. I was in 3rd for most of the course. There are 2 spots where I shifted down into 2nd, both uphill :) 100hp would do wonders for this car.

3. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Good driving! That was really fun to watch. You have a supreme advantage doing that in a small car.

4. robbieg

robbieg Does this and that from time to time

Wow! That's a great looking track, and a great looking run!
    I can imagine the conversations before... people sneering a little: "Oh! Cute car"
    Afterwards: "oh.... you... beat... me..."
    pwned.

5. grayhamwiebe

grayhamwiebe New Member

Very nice run, you look like you have done this often. I've learned that hp in auto cross doesn't mean as much, it's about not having to slow down. My WRX has been crushed by many civics at autocross.
    The little beat looks so nimble, and able to squeeze past sections without having to turn nearly as much as a full size car. Keep it up, your making me want a kei car more and more.

6. trev

trev New Member

The Beat is not a turbo ... perhaps why the Caps hold their values better in Japan.

I was not overly impressed with the performance of mine, perhaps the ECU was going.

7. Ihatedomestic

When I first got mine (as stated earlier in this thread) it seemed very low on power. I replaced the dist. cap and wire set, as well as the capacitors in the ecu. All that combined produced a good jump in power...most days. It seems like it has good and bad days.

Thanks for the compliments about my driving. I've been doing slaloms, track days and rally events since 2001 (maybe?)....and it never hurts to hear someone compliment your mad skills behind the wheel. I'll have to get some videos of my main autocross car (CRX) and get them posted. Only one more event this year though...and I'm not sure which car I'll take now :)

8. _drew

_drew New Member

9. Ihatedomestic

Spring is in the air...sort of. I'll be getting the Beat out of storage shortly...so I finally started what I've been meaning to do all winter: fix the seats. Took both seats out of the car, along with the battery and left it sitting in a friends garage. The seats just sat downstairs...out of sight...out of mind, that is until you realize that you have 2 weeks to do a shit-ton of work!
    Anyway...a couple of pics to give you an idea of what I'm getting into: making seat covers.

Originals (yes, the zebra print comes on every Beat...there was no other choice)
    [​IMG]

New material (a faux suede type)
    [​IMG]

IanB likes this.
  10. robbieg

robbieg Does this and that from time to time

NOOOOO! I love the zebra! So legit!
    But, it'll probably look a lot more... sane. So, good on ya.

11. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

A MUCH better choice!

12. Ihatedomestic

Changed the fuel filter yesterday. It might look like easy access...but try fitting a full length wrench in there!
    Going to attempt a driveway timing belt change today, since the weather is nice. Looks like very little access between the pulley side of the engine and the body structure. This should be fun...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Ihatedomestic

Ugh...this thing is miserable to work on!
    Started the timing belt about 4.5 hours ago. I am JUST NOW exposing the belt...after a half hour long fight with the plastic lower belt cover. F'n ridiculous!
    If I had a hoist, I'd opt to drop the engine rather than this madness!
    What I'm dealing with:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are actually holes in the side of the frame rails to slide some of the bolts into. Loosen bolt, slide into hole, remove bracket, remove long tubular bushing, slide bolt into spot where the bushing was, remove bolt. It's like a messed up, cruel game of Tetris.
    This *might* get finished tomorrow...

14. Ihatedomestic

Finished the timing belt this morning...and finished installing LEDs in the cluster. Major improvement:
    [​IMG]

Greg likes this.
  15. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Those LEDs look awesome. A lot more fun to do then the timing belt too I bet.

16. Murrdawg02

Nice Work! Where do you get your LEDs? I need to get on my timing belt, granted I should have more space than you!

17. Ihatedomestic

18. Murrdawg02

Those ones from superbright are the exact ones I installed in my cluster. Only downside is with only 3 leds per bulb, it has some spots where the gauge is brighter in certain sections. Yours look really bright and fairly even, so just curious!
    And they are polarity sensitive, they work but a huge pain to try and figure out if you have put it in the right way for them to work.

19. Lethbridge_man

Lethbridge_man New Member

I feel your pain, really I do.

I installed an exhaust header on my AZ-1 and it took several days. I did uninstall the air conditioning unit on my car, though, so now oil changes don't require an extra person, a swear jar, and a shot of whiskey before and after.

I haven't worked up the nerve to change my timing belt yet. That day is coming, though.

Mid-engined key cars... Somehow they are still worth it in the end! :)

20. Ihatedomestic

There should be, or we should make, a support group for people who do engine work on Kei cars :)
    Your AZ-1 looks extremely challenging. Glad I don't have any turbo plumbing to deal with.
    I'm also thinking of stripping out my non-functioning A/C...but will only save me some weight, as there is no access issues caused by it.
    To those who haven't driven one: soooo worth it!