So....I guess I bought a Beat

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Ihatedomestic, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

Got some more stuff from Japan, including a complete distributor, with a new cap/rotor and new-looking NGK wires. The hardest part of the install was getting to the top of the engine...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleaned the engine while I had some access. It's so small!
    [​IMG]

Installed a cup holder :) ...and some of the smallest mud flaps ever!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pitty and JamalS13 like this.
  2. mademiriam

mademiriam New Member

I'm loving this little car.

3. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Thats awesome! are you liking driving it now that the weather has turned nice? that is a tiny motor!! for a car anyways, good size for a motorcycle or ATV!

4. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Looks great! Is it 4 bolts that hold that upper cover on? I hope the dipstick isn't under there - that would be a pain, haha! Looks great! Slick spot for that cupholder too! :p

5. Ihatedomestic

With the new cap, wire set and some new capacitors in the ECU...it's gained a bit of power now and is an absolute blast to drive around. It makes me smile every time I get behind the wheel. Most people that get in it for the first time laugh or giggle. It's infectious... You just can't help it :)
    Yes, the cover is held in with 4 bolts...but peeling back the convertible top is the big time consumer in that operation.
    Can't wait for the new exhaust to arrive next week...which should quiet down the noise and make it even more enjoyable to drive!

dagleykd and kingsoup like this.
  6. dagleykd

Glad to hear it's a fun little ride! You don't always need a lot of horsepower to have fun! :p

7. Ihatedomestic

Like an angel from the heavens to save my ears...my new exhaust arrived!
    [​IMG]
    Old vs. New vs. My foot. Such small exhausts. There is a manifold (obviously), a small cat, another 10" long pipe, then the connection to the muffler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The old exhaust was obviously very loud and had a very resonant drone when holding certain speeds, that would just make the car unpleasant to drive. The new exhaust has a nice low rumbley sound, yet a loud racey sound when you put your foot into it. Overall it's just way more quiet...and looks awesome too. The tip is perfectly centred and just the right diameter. Sooooo worth the money already...and I've just driven it around the block.
    That's it for this car, for now. I'm going cold turkey and not allowed to look on Yahoo Japan for a looking time.
    Time for the Legacy and CRX to get some attention. First up is a 30" LED light bar in the grille of the Legacy. Stay tuned...

8. dagleykd

That exhaust looks awesome! I bet it sounds great too....hard to install?

9. Westernbeat

Westernbeat New Member

Rocky Mountains checking in!

Hey just wanted to come on here and say hi to a fellow beat owner. I'm over in calgary, but have a ton of extra stuff English manuals, oem
    Part number lists , lowering springs, struts, carbon fibre fenders, carbon mirror covers, extra throttle bodies, eacv, ecu's, mugen bumpers, front lips, roll bars, wind diffuser, rims...

Throw me a message with your number and if you're having any issues we can text back and forth.

Here's my beat

[​IMG]

JamalS13, tperkins and Greg like this.
  10. _drew

_drew New Member

Just ridiculous ^^

I remember reading your build thread somewhere, cant find it now. Beautiful ride!

11. CDE

CDE New Member

Sweet little car! I have toyed with the idea of getting one to cruise around in summer with here in Kelowna. Cheap to run and get a good suntan on my face!

12. grayhamwiebe

grayhamwiebe New Member

Awesome Beats!
    Anyone know what the price on these is compared to a Suzuki Cappuccino? Also, how easy would it be to drive for someone who is 6'4"?

13. Westernbeat

Westernbeat New Member

At 6'4" you'd be alright on stock seats. I'm six feet even and I'm ok with the recaros but it's for sure tighter .

There's actually tons of room when you are in there, it's the getting in and out that is more the awkward issue. And you always have someone looking at you when you pull up somewhere.

As for Kelowna guy, there is a low km one in Winnipeg at the moment for 10k. If you're truly interested feel free to email me and I might part with mine to try out a new project. Natewhiten8atyahoo.com. It's not gonna be cheap but should be maintenance free for the next 5 years.

14. grayhamwiebe

grayhamwiebe New Member

That beat in Winnipeg has been for sale for a while already. Looks to be decent, but I would want to spend about $3k less.

15. Westernbeat

Westernbeat New Member

I've put way too much money into the beat to be that cheap... Good luck on your search ! My list of expenses this year are

Gather upgraded sound system released in 2005ish)iPod integration, full video screen, rear view cam lol) brand new from Honda 1000.00

Upgraded ecu from honda so you don't have to worry about he caps leaking 1000.00

Mugen bumper and limited edition infinite front lip 700.00

New distributor from honda so you don't have to worry about cam belt snapping 600.00

Staggered 14/15 inch te37 with Advan a050 rubber ~2000.00

Driven it about 600 km this summer.

16. Ihatedomestic

Hey guys...I've been so busy lately and don't have much to update...
    Put about 5000km on the car since it arrived in March. Still have a solid check engine light, but the thing seems to be working really well, ever since I replaced the leaking capacitors, dist. cap and ign wires. Decent power it seems, for what it is. Very consistant gas mileage: 330km for about 18 litres of 87 octane. I love taking it to the gas station and filling up for under $20.
    Has not left me stranded yet and seems to be very reliable. It does do odd things from time to time, like speedo not working, tach not working and the red light for catalyst temp has been coming on randomly as of late.

Grayham...
    My friend is 6'2" and he has driven my Beat on several occasions. He has trouble shifting and doing any sort of hand-over-hand steering, because his knees are in the way. The factory seats also seem a little small for him. He's not large, but he's not skinny...just average build I guess. If you have a big gut...good luck :)

Looks like Beats have become numerous and cheaper, on Tradecarview, since the release of the S660. Cappuccinos still seem crazy expensive.

Things to consider: stock up on sunscreen (I didn't and I've got a crazy man-tan going on right now), Yahoo Japan will be your new best friend (if it isn't already), go grocery shopping alone (forget about a Costco run), prepare to answer a lot of questions from anyone near the car, invest in ear plugs (you are always at 4000rpm or above and 110km/h on the highway is at 6000rpm), wear quick drying clothes (your top will leak onto your legs and shoulder depending on acceleration, braking or turning), get your cheek muscles warmed up for all the smiling you'll be doing.

Western beat: I want all of your cool Beat stuff! Very jealous. Wow, have you ever dropped some cash into yours!
    What do you have kicking around for ECUs? Anything chipped?

17. CDE

CDE New Member

Thanks, but wouldn't be for a while. I'm going to Edmonton for work for 6 months and also need more garage space to get a third vehicle. Well, 4 if you include the bike! And I think shipping from Japan to west coast is cheaper than Winnipeg!

18. Ihatedomestic

Jus to give you guys an idea of what these little cars can do...
    Today I competed in a slalom course that was set up on a race track (Atlantic Motorsport Park).
    The car has very little in the way of mods: a HKS intake, exhaust and lowering springs (of an unknown nature) on stock shocks. I even ran the stock street tires...which were challenging under braking because they locked up so easily (the downside of 155/60/13 tires).
    Out of 54 competitors today, I placed 15th overall, Beating out many cars that should totally destroy the little car on a slalom or a road course.
    I was totally impressed with the car today and made me appreciate it that much more. It's so well balanced and predictable. If it had a few more ponies and a lot less body roll, this car could be a serious little weapon.
    There might be a video to come...depending how it turns out...

pitty likes this.
  19. dagleykd

Awesome! Looking forward to the video! :D

20. Ihatedomestic

Video is up...can't hear the engine that much, which sucks. You also can't hear me laughing at times, nor see the smile on my face :)

magnavahn, tperkins and Murrdawg02 like this.