Shipping a car Freight Collect

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by Dah_Hunter, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

I have never done this before but there is always a first time.

Basicly instead of having them pay for the shipping in Japan. it gets shipped Freight Collect, which means i pay for it on this end.. Interesting Yes..

So what happened so far:
    Car is scheduled to go on Boat.
    Company in Vancouver that handles the Freight Collect is called: ACGI Shipping Inc
    The car wont get loaded on the Japan end until they contact me and i confirm that YES i will be paying for the shipping, and Yes the car is for me.
    I just did that today.
    Next step is loading confirmation and then the Shipping costs bill.
    Its in USD (Of course) and they only accept Cash or Direct wire transfer.. (Not extra points on the CC for me)
    (Shipping this way is so uncommon that they didnt even know if they could accept wire transfers, the lady said the couple other people that do this just bring cash to the office.. Which is in down Town, and i dont want to go there)

i will update as this process continues.

IMPUL likes this.
  2. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Interesting....

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Is there any savings to this? Without putting it on a CC to get some points or something it seems like it could just add another possible headache. Does it make more "discount dealers" available or something?

4. Dah_Hunter

In this case, the Exporter (Derek) wasnt sure how much the shipping was going to cost on the Hino and instead of over or under billing me i said lets just Send it collect.

I doubt there will be any sort of savings.. but who knows. since shipping is always charged in USD, this saves one Hop of Converions. Since im just going CAD to USD, instead of CAD to JPY to USD.

5. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

Do you think there is a chance that some dealers/exporters (not saying you do Derek) are putting a bit of a markup on shipping? Could shipping collect be a way around that? ...if it actually happens...
    I just notice, for example, on TCV, going from the FOB price to the CIF price, can sometimes double (even triple) the total cost of the car. I know there are other factors involved into calculating the CIF price, but I think you know what I'm getting at.
    Interesting to see how this plays out.

6. trev

trev New Member

It wouldn't surprise me if they round up a bit just to make sure conversion rates are covered .. YEN->USD always changing. So who know when they pay the actual bill for freight. I mean if they charge you today, and don't pay the shipping costs for 2-4 weeks, a lot can change in the currency world. I also think some of them might dump their "inland shipping" charges in to it as well (hauling it from the yard to port) even though one would think that's part of the FOB charge.

One only has to look to eBay to see how many sellers pad their shipping charges ... I'm sure some do, and some don't. Every person/company is different.
    I think some carriers are different and some get better rates than others as well. $80-120 M3 is my understanding that last time I looked.

All I really care about in the end is the total cost.

7. trev

trev New Member

I had a quote the other day, there was a $200 difference between "Vancouver" and "New Westminster" .. even though both were by RORO. I assume that's just the difference between using Nissan or the other guys.

8. RyanV

RyanV Member

Off topic, but as someone who has started selling stuff on eBay, I can tell you that I do this. The reason is because eBay doesn't charge their fees on the shipping price, only the item price. Therefore, I account for some of the item cost to be in the shipping cost and it puts a few more dollars in my pocket rather than eBay. Depending on the purchase price it can add up pretty quick when eBay's fee is about 10% of the selling price.

9. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

very interesting! I'd like to see how this turns out.

10. Dah_Hunter

So shipping is costing $1400USD (Which is what i was expecting for how tall the van is)
    They have provided me with Canadian Banking info so i can get Ken to just wire the money over ther
    (Plug for Ken Fukami there is no bettery Way to wire Transfer money anywhere in the world, cheaper then the back and better exchange rates, and you dont even have to get out of your office chair)
    *Also ever time i recomend me he gives me a 1 yen Discount off my next wire transfer.. Sooo Totaly worth it.. :)

11. IMPUL

So what was your m3 and what would it have cost to ship the regular way for the same vehicle?

12. Dah_Hunter

I dont know. cause the invoice i have is from the shipper and just says:
    upload_2015-3-9_7-23-29.png

Very Vague. lol

13. IMPUL

What about auction sheet ... Doesnt it say the dimensions?

14. Dah_Hunter

17.754 M3 by $80 = $1420.32

I dont think it was really any cheaper just a different way of doing it.

15. IMPUL

But if the rate for RO/Ro is 9500¥/m3 ( what I paid ) then $1,686.63 ... A savings of $266.31 which means it could pay for the brokerage. In theory.

What are the timelines like?
    Was the process any faster or slower? Were there more complications?
    Do you feel like they might respect the car more since they havent been paid yet, and the claim process ( if damaged) would clearly put you at an advantage since they cant hold your money hostage?

If the car was to be returned to japan, for whatever reason it cant enter, would there be any advantage there?

Can this method be used for halifax?

Thx

16. Dah_Hunter

Timeline is the exactly the same as regular shipping, however if you dont pay in the timeline then they dont load it on that boat and you would have to wait for the next one.

Speed is the same, just some extra Email's/calling, however the fact that they only accept USD is kinda a pain, since i was hoping to use my CC. but they require a bank transfer only.

This doesnt apply because your car isnt loaded from the port storage till you pay anyways so i feel from the car loaders point of view there is no differance at all. infact im sure they dont even know.

17. trev

trev New Member

$80 is about as cheap as it gets ...