Ryans not so JDM ride - 2013 Focus ST

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by DCRyan, Jan 10, 2015.

1. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

Thought I would post my Focus build on here as well. If this isnt the right section, please mods move it. I know its not a JDM :p

Im copy/pasting alot from my other forum i frequent so bear with me:

Ill start with my previous fun toys:

92 Nissan Pulsar GTiR (SR20 AWD light weight hatch. Very fun car. NRG bucket seats, momo suede steering wheel, B&M short shift with bubble shifter, top mount manifold, isis rs3871 with isis lines, Rota grid classics 15x8 with hankook rs3 in a 225/45/15, Apexi SAFC, BC coilovers and tonnes of other mods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isis 3871 for it :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stance yo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

91 Suzuki Alto Works RSR (one of the funnest cars i have owned, 660cc turbo AWD beast. 64 hp, 10,000 rpm redline. I had a set of awesome old school recaro seats, personal wheel, bubbleshifter, FMIC, 13x7 Advan A3a -4 offset )

Stockish when i got her :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[video=youtube;OPeiQyFSX8Q]

[video=youtube;BmnnBOlrj7A]

91 Toyota Supra JZA70 (the lag machine. 1jz auto, holset hx35, turbosmart external wastegate, bigger injectors, spitfire coil, greddy emanage, HKS exhaust, Recaro seats, work wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This thing was so goddamn laggy with the auto tranny and the crappy manifold I had on it. Ran a 14.7 at 118mph. On the highway it was a monster though.

[video=youtube;4YiW8iV7o_U]

06 GSX-R600 (bought it for a really good deal in the winter to flip it, ended up riding and loving it, so i kept it. Tiinted wind screen, rear seat delete with cowl, decals removed, 520 chain conversion, -1,+2 sprockets, Racefit Super growler exhaust, dyno jet power commander and tune. Currently ran a 10.9 @ 132 mph a couple of weeks ago)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

So onto the focus,

Picked er up from the dealership:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Week later I ended up doing a full car 3m and tint. Every panel. Did black vinyl on the roof and mirrors. Car still looks brand new to this day. No rock chips.

[​IMG]

Picked up a set of weather tech mats for the winter to keep the stock carpets nice.

[​IMG]

I didnt like the long throws of the stock shfiter, so I installed the cobb short shift plate and shifter:

[​IMG]

Decided the car was too quiet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Immediately after install i realized the car was too loud. LOL

I also installed Cobb Exhaust hangers with the new exhaust. The stock hangers were a little too soft and my exhaust started hitting the underside of my bumper.

Picked up a boomba BOV. I also immediately hated this thing as well. The BOV's are controlled by a solenoid so it would open up at even the slightest hint of boost. SO ANNOYING

[​IMG]

Since it was winter I thought I should start hunting down a nice set of wheels. Quickly realized there was a poor selection of wheels in this bolt pattern. Everything out there was weak sizes and guady designs.
    Got in touch with Avant Garde and went through them.

Ended up with a set of Avant Garde m240s in 18x9 +43

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up getting the faces painted a nice metallic black with a lot flake. Turned out really nice :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point it was winter So i had to wait untill spring to get some tires mounted and put on the car.

I started wanting a bit more power. First choice was obviously the Cobb Accessport. Ive dealt with cobb alot when I had my subaru wrx.

[​IMG]

Old vs the new version 3 accessports :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stage 1 tune felt awesome. Better powerband, very smooth.

Dont you love winter here :

[​IMG]

3. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

My next set of parts came in near the end of the winter.

[​IMG]

A set of Fortune Auto 500 with 7k swift springs in the front and rear. I initially had issues with some clunk in the rear. Turned out to be the bushing was too short. Fortune Auto quickly sent me out a replacement and they have been perfect since :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally all the snow was gone so I could put on the coilovers and wheels. It was a tight fit, but goddamn did she ever look good :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I was craving even more power. Ordered an FSWerks downpipe, cobb FMIC, cobb CAI, cobb RMM and some FSWerks shifter bushings. Tossed all that stuff on and a new tune.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[video=youtube;yZGeZcWX_bg]

Not much has changed for the past month or so, but of course the mod bug starts itching again.

Picked up some lip spoilers for a guy in calgary:

[​IMG]

Near the end of the summer I was craving even more power. Best way to do that was a bigger turbo :

[​IMG]

Currently going to be having it tuned by Matt and Panda Motor Works which btw is a super helpful guy. I suggest anyone to check him out if you need tuning.

So this is how the car sits now. My parts should be shipped out next week and installed the following. Ill keep this thread updated as the parts come. I plan to start sourcing out a block for the winter and starting an engine build. Once we have a better HPFP and internal parts I will be more than likely doing a gt35r sized turbo swap and see what this thing can put out.

4. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

Yaaaaaaay. All my stuff came in today!

[​IMG]

mmmmm turbo goodies :

[​IMG]

gtx2867r on right, gt2871 on the left (for comparison), wastegate, tial q BOV and all the parts.

tial mv-s wastegate :

[​IMG]

dirty screamer pipe thats going to be hacked up :

[​IMG]

Another comparison :

[​IMG]

more turbro and manifold:

[​IMG]

Mmmm, dual ball bearing and billet wheel goodness:

[​IMG]
    So this project should start moving quite a bit faster now. Hoping to have everything installed and tuned in the next 2 weeks. More updates to come!

5. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

Just picked up the car and started street tuning. Thing would shred the tires like no ones business:

[video=youtube;N3VApWhR6vA]

6. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

The car was scary fast now, which resulted in ALOT more braking, which then resulted in a TONNE of brake dust :

[​IMG]

7. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

The car was making around 340ish hp at this point. It would hang with my friends 2012 z06 up till about 200km/hr, at which point the corvette would just eat me up:

Dont mind my fail 2nd gear burn out at the end. I forgot to take off my launch control rev limiter LOL

8. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

Had to extend my dump tube a bit. After realizing how big of flames were shooting out if it I figured it would be better this way. Also, sooooo much soot on everything lol

[​IMG]

9. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

....and here we are today. I ended up doing a track day at castrol. After a long hard day of bagging on the car I noticed some oil coming out of my BOV. Initially thought that maybe I was having pressurized crank case issues and ordered a catch can and PVC valve upgrade.
    A few day laters I got a missfire CEL on start up. Figured it was time to switch the spark plugs. Upon removal i noticed oil on them. well thats no good. Time to compression test. Cylinders 2 and 3 were fantastic and pumped out 150 psi. 1 and 4 unfortunately were not so lucky. They were only making about 80 psi. I put some oil in the cylinders and tried again, and they bumped up to about 110 psi which tells me there are ring land issues. After this, i decided to park the Focus for the rest of the year and i ended up importing my legacy that you guys know of.

Now since I have the legacy as a daily driver, my new plan for the focus by this summer is :

I will be having Speed Performance 63 from the states building me a fully forged 2.0 Liter ecoboost long block. Fully upgraded head with oversized valves, porting, the whole works.

Since these cars are direct injection, they run using a High Pressure Fuel Pump that is cam driven in the engine bay, as well as specialized injectors. This means there is no aftermarket solutions for reliable increase fuel delivery using the stock system(the mazda speed 3 guys know this all too well)

My solution to this is to run an auxilary fuel system. I will be installing an after market intake manifold and will be having each runner tapped to accepted a fuel injector. I will be running four 2000cc injectors which i will tap into the low pressure side of the HPFP to get fuel to. I will also upgrade my in tank lift pump to a twin walboro 240lph setup. To run these secondary injectors I will be using a split second fuel controller running off an RPM reference. Lots of high horsepower cars run this kind of setup and I believe it will be the most reliable way of getting extra fuel for this car. Alot of people are asking why I dont just wait for aftermarket injectors and HPFP and its because I have high doubts anything will be developed anytime soon. The mazda speed 3 platform is the same direct injection system and has been out for years long and there still is no aftermarket solution for big HP builds.

So with the new fuel system and all this fuel, it'd be a shame to waste it running a tiny gtx2867r. I will most likely be running a gtx3582r depending on how well the aftermarket heads flow. If they dont make the numbers im looking for, ill stick with the smaller gtx3076r which might be better suited for the low displacement motor.

To safe guard this new motor, I will be running an AEM water meth system to keep everything cool. I dont need to blow up this one as well LOL.

While the motor is out, I will be tossing in an aftermarket clutch. Im leaning towards the clutch master series.

To get the power down Im going to be runnning a 255 drag radial on the front. Im not sure how much it will help, but it should certainly be better than the stock 235 eagle F1's.

With that being said, the goal is to hit 500 whp which will also make it the highest hp/fastest mk3 Focus ST in the world if someone doesnt beat me to it.

Ill get the ball rolling once spring time is a bit closer. Stay tuned for updates!

10. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

Quick video.

Focus on low boost vs my friends dads ford rat rod (runs low 12's at castrol) . That v8 definately gets the jump, but I reel him in HARD.

**Also my friends 580 wheel horsepower GTI doing a dirty burnout.

11. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Crazy build man! I didn't realize how much you had put into this!
    Most people are too scared to mod a new car, but you just went right for it!

12. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

Thank you!

It escalated really quickly with the modding. I bought the car so I could work on other projects. Ended up the other way around haha

13. RyanV

RyanV Member

Those are some nice cars you've had :) I don't usually like yellow cars, but it seems to suit the Focus well.

14. Bushman

Bushman New Member

You have the best threads dude....
    Sweet machinery!

15. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

what do you do for work?....if you don't mind me asking ;)

16. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

Thanks for the kind words guys!
    I had second guesses about the yellow when I placed my order on the car, but when I seen it in person i fell in love with it. Its a gorgeous 2 stage paint that looks gold in some light, all the way to yellow in others. And lots of flake.

I am a Terminal Operator for Esso Imperial Oil here in edmonton. This will be my 7th year there now.

17. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

I've been talking with ATP turbos about my next turbo choice and with my goals they think I should definitely go with the gtx3582r. I'll have to see what kind of flow I can get out of the the heads once they are ported and built.

[​IMG]

18. Bushman

Bushman New Member

I tried to click ling in photo!
    So what is your expectations/goal :)

19. DCRyan

DCRyan New Member

Bahah.

750 whp

Realistically 550-650 whp at our altitude.

20. Bushman

Bushman New Member

Sweet! On stock internals?