Ryan's 1992 JZS147 Aristo

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Jun 6, 2015.

1. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

Those wheels are pimp!

2. IanB

IanB New Member

I've always loved those wheels, nice buy! Very similar to the Works you had, which I also really liked.

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Reinforcing the fact that I hate taking this car to any location where I'll need to park in a parking lot, someone parked beside me and let their door hit my car >:( Looks like it's just some scratches though, so hopefully I can just polish it out.

On a positive note, I purchased a 3" Kakimoto front pipe. I have to wait for it to arrive from Japan now though, so that will take a while. Once I have it installed I'll have full 3" exhaust except for the down pipe.

4. IanB

IanB New Member

Might as well get that 3" downpipe and install it all at the same time! Bottlenecks be damned!

5. RyanV

RyanV Member

No, not yet. With a 3" downpipe I'll actually need a restrictor ring so I don't overboost, so I don't think there's really any point. That said, you could say the same thing about the purchase of the 3" midpipe. Thinking long term, if I end up changing out the turbos then all I'll need is a new downpipe to have a full 3" exhaust and I'll probably need something custom fabbed for that piece anyway.

6. Xanicron

Xanicron I'm trying

This is why I don't even want a "nice" car. I get depressed enough when I notice that my $500 Corolla has been dinged or swiped.

By the way, I love this car. Always liked the 147's, and this one is so tastefully done.

I was actually just looking at the for sale thread the other day, are you still thinking of swapping it out for a JZX100?

7. RyanV

RyanV Member

Yes, but only if Tudor's car is still available. I'm not going to sell this car and then import a JZX100 in it's place. At least that's not what I feel like doing at the moment.

8. RyanV

RyanV Member

Continuing with the theme of buying more stuff for the car, but not actually following through with installing it, I recently purchased a Blitz Nur Spec R cat back system AND a Kakimoto cat back system. Why?...I don't know...boredom? What I intend to do is create sound clips of each and just see what each system sound like. Currently, I fully intend on keeping the Fujitsubo Super R system I have on the car. The dual exhaust looks better on these cars IMO, but I'm interested to see what the single exit systems sound like. It will be a while before everything gets here from Japan.

I still don't have the BBS Impul wheels mounted up either. I'd like to do a test run and see how the offsets look before I get tires. Everything I've been readying seems to indicate I should probably run a 275 tire on the rear and 245 on the front (10" and 9" wide rims), but I'm thinking I'm probably going to need fender work to eliminate rubbing (+40 rear and +25 front on the rims). If I need to do fender work, I might want to run a bit of stretch. I'll get around to checking it eventually. So much more difficult to get things done when you don't have a garage and have limited parking!

Another thing I intend to have done is a professional cut polish. I have some blemishes that I haven't removed myself, and I'd like to have a professional cut polish done and then I can maintain it myself from there. As above, I'd like to have a garage for storage though before I get this done to make it easier to keep the paint nice.

lenglish and IanB like this.
  9. RyanV

RyanV Member

Well, I guess I'm taking the front lip off. Broke it this morning on a dip :( On the plus side, I wanted to lower the car, so I guess I can now adjust the coils lower without fear of wrecking the lip.

10. Soren

Soren Hiatus is the best way to control the urges..

Noooooooooooo...........

11. RyanV

RyanV Member

The damage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somewhat luckily there are still two holes to secure the piece above and the plastic/chrome just split straight through at the screw location, so I was able to reattach it for the time being. Yes, it's going to annoy the crap out of me to see the split every time I walk up to the car, but for the most part most people won't notice it. I have a feeling this isn't the type of thing that can be easily fixed. The material is like a plastic that was chrome plated. If I wanted to replace it, I'd probably be best to look for a LONG time to find a replacement piece or try and strip the chrome coating off, repair with fiberglass and then get it painted the same colour as the car.

Here's how it looks for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

ugh.. that sucks.. but thats the thing with lips like that.. they only last so long.. ;)

13. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Good to see it wasn't completely obliterated. Needs more zip-ties for drift cred :)

14. RyanV

RyanV Member

That was actually my first thought for a repair LOL! However, it really doesn't suit the car. It's not low enough, but it's more VIP styled than drift. Zip ties or a sticker bomb fix would likely look out of place.

lenglish likes this.
  15. RyanV

RyanV Member

So I went out Monday morning to drive to work and what was once a slight chirp became an alarming squeal! I popped the hood, but didn't have a good look because I decided just to get the car parked where I could leave it for the day and swap to the Land Cruiser. Tonight I finally had a chance to investigate and what I found was that the belt had come off and was likely stuck causing the squeal. The belt was located on the engine side of the crank pulley. The crank pulley on these engines tend to separate over time and end up in two pieces. My question is, could the crank pulley going cause the belt to do this? Or is it more likely that the belt is just old and hard and slipped off? Or would it be something else that caused the belt to "dismount"?

The one thing that is really nice is that each of my vehicles seem to decide to have issues at different times. That's very considerate of them, LOL! :)

16. RyanV

RyanV Member

Before the belt issue above I took a drive to Mt. Seymour last week and took a few photos after the car had a clay bar and wax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still playing with the 50mm F1.8 lens (photos below). I don't know enough about photography and settings to get this thing to shoot right. When I get it set up properly, I'm really happy with the photos, but most of the time they come out over exposed. When I was playing with it on this night I should have used a tripod. However, the bugs were SOOOOOO bad, there was no way I was taking the time to do that! I didn't even put the trunk down for the last photo which, now, I wish I did...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  17. Soren

Soren Hiatus is the best way to control the urges..

Holy moly. Sweet mother of pearl. It is so shiny, like a ripe piece of fruit glistening with dew. Like your paint is actually water. Soooo gorgeous.

RyanV and Garth like this.
  18. RyanV

RyanV Member

I finally looked into the serpentine belt issue a bit more yesterday and it looks like the crank pulley has separated :(

[​IMG]

However, I knew it was only a matter of time before this happened, so I had purchased a spare. I wish these things weren't so damn expensive! Partsouq to the rescue! It was by far the cheapest place to buy and it's still an OEM part :)

19. RyanV

RyanV Member

All fixed up thanks to The Speed Syndicate. A couple more photos of the separated crank pulley and then a shot driving to work late last week :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. RyanV

RyanV Member

Due to the snow, cold weather and salt I haven't been able to drive this car for a while. I went out last night to run it for a while, but the battery was too low to start it, so I pulled the battery to get it charged up. I'll likely leave it out for a while now since I don't want to drive this car on salty roads anyway. In the mean time I've added to the list of items awaiting shipment from Japan with a Beatsonic harness for the stereo, JZA80 4 pot calipers (marked "Aristo" :) ) and a Cluster front right seat rail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't plan on using the 4 pots up front for a while since the brakes I have are really good, and I'm not sure which seat will fit the rail, but it's probably Recaro or Bride or something. All items were a decent price and from the same seller, so I just bought all three items. Saves a bit on shipping and fees to buy things that can all be shipped together :)