Review: Iron X

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by RyanV, Jul 20, 2015.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

I bought Iron X a while back because I was looking for a good product to clean wheels. The wheels on my Alpina are in desperate need of deep cleaning to remove caked on brake dust. I've tried a bunch of other cleaning products, but nothing has worked so far. Somewhat unfortunately, I haven't tested the Iron X on the Alpina wheels for this review, but I can follow up when I do.

Price: It's expensive. I was hesitant to buy it because of the price, but it seems like it's worth it.

Smell: Smells terrible!!! Someone in another review compared it to a sewage plant. It smells bad, but not quite that bad.

Result: It works! I didn't get pictures of the worst wheel I cleaned, but it worked so well on that wheel I decided to do the review after.

I followed the directions and cleaned the wheels first using soapy water. Pic of the two cleaning products:

[​IMG]

Wheel before it was cleaned. I'd recommend removing wheels from the car if you are going to use the Iron X. I read some reviews where people didn't and they mentioned their brakes didn't work as well for a while after. I guess that would have to do with the stuff getting on the brake disc.

[​IMG]

After a wash and the Iron X applied. I took the pic quickly after applying the Iron X, but you can see that it has already started changing colour.

[​IMG]

After I let it sit for a bit I used a sponge to work it in and you can see contaminated locations coming clean that didn't clean with just the soap and water. I should also mention that with soap and water I used a scrub brush to really get all the crap off before applying Iron X.

And the end result!

[​IMG]

There's still some tar spots left, but I'm definitely happy with the results. Alpina wheels will be the real test.

2. _drew

_drew New Member

im convinced!

excited to see the results from your other wheels

3. dmnd

dmnd Tuna Sandwich

Do you have circles of dead grass on your lawn now? lol

I IronX'd my wheels last week on my lawn and killed some grass in the process. It would have been the Chemical Guys degreaser I was using as well...

I actually use IronX when I get a car here via rail. It's crazy seeing all the embedded metallic particles, even after claying.

There is a cheaper brand now that offers a similar product, forget the name, but I'll look it up again sometime.

Here is one of the wheels after I cleaned it with Iron X and chemical guys grime reaper. Used chemical guys P40 spray detailer on it after to protect it, as it contains carnuba. And dressed tires with chemical guys water-based G6 hypercoat. Curb rash courtesy of previous Japanese owner.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  4. RyanV

RyanV Member

Surprisingly, no! :) It's about the greenest part of the grass these days. Surprising since I'd heard it will kill grass or leave a stain on the driveway. I chose the dead grass option as the lesser of two evils, but it doesn't seem to have happened :)

I'll have to look into that detailer you mentioned. Does it make the wheels any easier to clean after you apply it? Also something that works just as well as IronX but cheaper would be great. I think it was about $12 for the little spray bottle I got.

5. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Wow, that does seem to work really well. I'll have to try it out!