Review - Brave Auto

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Rygar, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

This is a bit overdue, but like everyone else, I'm busy with my own stuff ;)

History: An Evo is a car I've wanted for a looooooong time, and being on the East Coast there isn't a lot around. By chance I ended up at a local importer's warehouse for another reason, and it was full of various JDM vehicles. I ended up test driving a IV, but I didn't feel comfortable dealing with these guys in the least so I started searching around and found this forum.
    After lurking around here for a while and learning all I could, at the time there were 3 highly reputable exporters in Japan (there are 4 or 5 on here now) and I chose to go with Mark @ Brave Auto based on customer satisfaction record and the amount of experience BA has. This is also my first experience with importing a vehicle.

Communication: First contact was a PM to Mark's account on here, and quickly moved to his business email. After a few emails back and forth we had a Skype conversation where we discussed what I was looking for and I found him to be very up front and honest in terms of what I could expect and how the whole process basically worked.
    After settling the introductory stuff out of the way he went to work, I think we started looking in October of 2012 and I have to say I was quite picky and Mark was very patient with me!
    As you can expect, a 15 year old vehicle, regardless of mileage and condition, can need some work, and any issues I've asked Mark about he's given his thoughts and suggestions on in a timely manner.

Response time: Knowing him to be very busy, I found Mark to be very timely with his replies and detailed in answering my questions.
    Paperwork arrived long before the car and he wanted to confirm that I received it.

Car Details: The car was a '98 Evo within my requested KM limits and condition. First round of photos were the bodywork issues, of which there were few. Second round of photos were the car in general, inside and out. All of the photos were good and when the car arrived I had no surprises (it actually looked better in person....love at first sight?).

Shipping Options: Offers both container and RoRo but container is the usual choice and what we used. No complaints!

Storage: Free storage at his site goes a long way, but I did not have to utilize this as the car was in and out of his possession within a month. All of the photos were done at his site and he also checks the car over with a test drive which helps in filtering out some issues before it is shipped. In my case the aftermarket suspension needed replacing and he sourced and had OEM parts installed.

Paperwork: Having never imported a vehicle before I had no expectations for paperwork other than what I read on the forums here. Based on hindsight I would say the paperwork (which he scanned and emailed before he mailed the originals) provided me with everything I needed.

Shipping Results: I hired a local broker here to assist with customs and the shipping company. The only paperwork they gave me (and I specifically asked them when I picked the paperwork up if that was all I needed) was the customs clearance form and when I got to the dock I needed the customs' stamped notice of arrival from the shipping company. I didn't have this at all, but I did have all the shipping notifications in PDF in my email so I was able to forward the appropriate email to someone and have them print and fax the notice to the port, which they accepted in conjunction with the customs' clearance form.

Summary: Overall my experience has been a good one. Dealing with Mark was as good a customer experience as one can have, in my opinion. I would highly recommend him to anyone, and in fact have. I would also go back to him for another vehicle without hesitation. I have found him to be an honest guy and overall a pleasure to deal with.
    The dock in Halifax, dealing with the registry of MV (again, paperwork) and the import brokers could have gone a little smoother, but in all cases it was a one visit completion and just a matter of either missing paperwork, or the people I was dealing with not knowing what paperwork was required (DMV).

And now I terrorize the streets of Halifax....

2. Mark - Brave Auto

Mark - Brave Auto JDM Auction Agent/Exporter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I wish we could write reviews about customers, what a lot of people do not realise is that the exporter and customer have to work together from start to finish to make the whole process successful, with out the help and understanding of the customer I can only do a certain percentage of my job....... it takes two to tango.

So thank you to you as well, you were above and beyond what a normal customer is to deal/work with and I really enjoyed the process and our chats.

Regards

Mark.

3. Rygar

Thanks Mark, I appreciate that.
    You haven't seen the last of me, I'm sure ;)

4. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

@ Rygar - A bit late to this thread, but I live in the Bridgewater area and am hoping to import my own ride in another year or two, also probably through Brave as I've heard nothing but good things. Just curious what local broker you used to help you with the import process and if you'd recommend them...?

@ Mark - I'd read that Agency Auto Imports in Halifax deals with Brave directly, could I deal with Brave through them if I wanted Brave to look for a specific vehicle for me, or how would that process work? I'm speaking hypothetically down the road, unfortunately, as I'm not in a position to import yet, but I 100% aim to do so in a year or two's time.

5. Rygar

I used these folks:
    http://ihmathers.com/atlantic-custom-brokers/
    I can get you the name of the person I dealt with later, as I don't have it with me.

Agency Imports does deal with Brave directly, and I think you can deal with Brave through Erik @ Agency in terms of finding a specific vehicle. Both Mark and Erik are good to deal with. You could deal with Mark directly yourself to let him know what you're looking for and use Agency's services for everything after that point, if you wanted.

6. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Cool, thanks for the info man - I'll keep it all in mind when the time comes! Its good to know there are decent connections for imports here on the East Coast too!