Rawrock's new Toy(ota)

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RawRock, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

awesome. glad your having a great time in her. i had great times in my old Surf Exploring. Memorys.. same color to.

RawRock likes this.
  2. RawRock

RawRock New Member

Spent Saturday doing some tinkering... My brother gifted me a gently used lightbar for christmas - with a brand new wiring harness (including switch and relay!)

Being that a previous owner reaaaally bent up the existing bumper (to fit larger tires in the past), I had no worries about making a minor incision for a cleaner look. I have plans in the future to have a custom bumper fabbed up with round tubing, so this works for now.

Lots of folks complain about automotive wiring, but I find it fascinating and fun -- maybe I'm weird like that.

I modified the wiring harness because I didn't like the idea of the switch (it has illuminated on/off indicators) constantly pulling power from the batteries. I changed it so the switch pulls power from the high beam circuit, so the bar will turn on and off with the high beams.

Ugly front end pics below (complete with drivers marker light burnt out)
    Also installed some new Duratracs last month - love them!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    RyanV likes this.
  3. RyanV

RyanV Member

I need to replace my Bosch fogs with a light bar. Looks so good!

What did you have before the Duratracs? I just switched to TA KO 2's from Duratracs and I prefer the TA's, for my use. They've been good on the bit of snow/ice we've had here too. Not that the Duratracs were bad though :) It mostly came down to road noise between the two for me since I'm not offroading much these days, but I am putting on a lot of highway kms.

RawRock likes this.
  4. RawRock

RawRock New Member

Can't beat the pure white LED light. I'm hooked on auxiliary lighting!

Before the Duratracs, I had some extremely bald Yokohama Geolandars - not that they were bad... just super worn, not even a fair comparison to brand new goodyears on the snow. KO2's were on my shortlist (2nd choice) -- CT had 25% off tires and had the Dura's in my size so I jumped on 'em... Love the aggressive look they lend to the truck and I'm excited to put them to use on some tougher terrain.

As far as road noise goes, I haven't had a chance to get out on a trip yet but I'm not sure I'll notice a difference because the truck is not exactly a quiet luxobarge. I'll comment if I can hear the tires over the 2.5" straight exhaust dumped behind the driver's door :o . . . If I want quiet comfort, I've got the 2011 WRX hatchback quietly hibernating in the driveway waiting for highway trips.

[​IMG]

5. RawRock

RawRock New Member

Some crappy on/off pics from the cab - not sure if I should try to aim it a bit higher. The way I mounted it doesn't allow for too much adjustment but for now it throws a ton of good light (pics will never do it justice) in this spooky back alley.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've been doing a lot of reading on the Toyota diesels, and really enjoyed re-reading @RyanV 's Landcruiser thread - such a wicked ride!
    I'm thinking I would like to eventually add an intercooler to the truck and see if I can safely increase the boost a couple of pounds. Boost gauge and coolant temp gauge are on the way to add to my EGT gauge to keep things in check. I slightly increased the fuelling on the engine and noticed a decent little increase in power, but it did bring up exhaust temperatures a little bit. It runs so cool with the straight exhaust & upgraded rad - and with the 3L head upgrade I think I have a good amount of headroom to play around bit with tuning the truck a little!

Greg likes this.
  6. RawRock

RawRock New Member

Bad news, my poor 2LTE started leaking oil like crazy... We've had some crazy temperature swings this winter... -40c one day, +1c the next. Guess the old mill didn't like the cold, even with the coolant heater plugged in. I've traced the leak to the front of the engine, looks like main seal.

Picture shows the leak coming from right underneath the crank pulley at the bottom of the engine. The light blur in the top right is the bottom of the belt spinning round the pulley.
    [​IMG]

Fortunately, I was able to find a replacement seal and speedi-sleeve from a supplier in Edmonton! Will install with the help of a mechanic friend who sold me the truck :p

This will give us an opportunity to check the timing belt and other hidden bits. Hoping to have the truck in tip-top shape for summer... planning some great camping adventures!

7. IanB

IanB New Member

Well that sucks, good luck with the fix.

8. RyanV

RyanV Member

Thanks!

I think anything you can do to upgrade the cooling on these trucks is a good idea. There is a guy that's been running around locally in a Prado that I talk to every now and then when I used to see him around Burnaby and he's never had any head or overheating issues. He attributes this to an upgraded radiator, but I think how you drive it can make a big difference too.