Rawrock's new Toy(ota)

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RawRock, Sep 20, 2016.

1. IanB

IanB New Member

Sounds like it could use some rubber overdrive (bigger tires), lol.

2. RawRock

RawRock New Member

It has 31's... a previous owner mangled the front bumper to put 33's on at one point... isn't that too much rubber for these little trucks? Would 2" make a great difference in cruising rpm?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  3. IanB

IanB New Member

I had 32's (265/75/16) on my 3rd gen, the torque of the diesel (1KZ-TE) seemed to handle the taller gearing and extra weight just fine. Going from a 265/70/16 to a 265/75/16 is a 3.4% difference, so it would likely only bring your revs down from 3000 to 2900 kind of thing. Going bigger than that I would think would start to stress the little 2.4 more than help it.

I'm willing to bet though, that at 3,000 rpm you've hit your max boost long ago, and some extra air would go a long way in keeping it cool and happy on the highway.

4. RawRock

RawRock New Member

Yeah the green "turbo" dash light is on 95% of the time on the highway, meaning it's at target boost, and again based on my egt gauge she is nice and cool! I've been doing heaps of reading about upping boost levels slightly for a small power bump, but at the end of the day I just have to get used to owning a slow 2.4 diesel powered brick :)

5. IanB

IanB New Member

Hmm, my Surf didn't have a boost light, but my '91 HDJ81 had a green light that came on at 2psi, and the amber overboost light that comes on at ~14.5psi. You're right in that you'll never make a hotrod out of it, but if you're looking for some more reading, there's an extensive thread on MUD you should check out:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ideas-for-improving-the-2lte.680759/

RawRock likes this.
  6. RawRock

RawRock New Member

Yep, been over that thread a couple times. It's got heaps of good info. It seems I was incorrect, the green light comes on as soon as the turbo produces any boost (for the land cruisers, I'm thinking Hilux's should be the same way) so I shouldn't be too worried about highway cruising, I was thinking my poor little CT20 turbo was boosting its guts out for an entire trip. :o Can't wait to rig up a boost gauge.

7. IanB

IanB New Member

I kinda figured the green light would be the same as mine was. Make no mistake though, your turbo WILL be pushing max boost all day on the highway unless you let off the gas and coast. My Land Cruiser requires 10psi for speeds 100km/h and above, and around 16psi to cruise at 120km/h. EGT's at 120 came down about 150F when I raised the boost from the stock 10psi to 16psi due to the extra air available.

RawRock likes this.
  8. RawRock

RawRock New Member

Good to know! I'd like to see the effect of a little more air going through there. Assuming my gauge readings are accurate, if they drop at all I'll be ice-cold on the EGT front.

Are you still running your original turbo?

9. IanB

IanB New Member

Yes, I'm running the original turbo at well above the recommended max boost for this turbo. Fingers crossed it holds together... What EGT gauge are you using, and where is the probe located?

10. RawRock

RawRock New Member

It's a Glowshift EGT, and the probe is in the header just after cylinder #4. I was gonna go with the glowshift metric water temperature gauge to match. I know they're cheap gauges, so I'll see how they stand up. I was using the equally affordable Autometer brand in my Subaru with no issue.

11. RyanV

RyanV Member

I didn't put the best review up for the Glowshift gauge:

http://import-era.com/threads/review-glowshift-3in1-gauge.1282/

But my EGT and boost readings are still working about 4 years and 110,000 kms later.

RawRock likes this.
  12. IanB

IanB New Member

EGT probe would ideally be in the collector so as to get a reading from all cylinders, as close to the turbo as possible. Could be that you're reading from a "cool" cylinder and others are running hotter than your gauge shows? Not sure if that's an issue on yours, but on the 1HD-T cyl #1 and 6 don't get as much air as the others, causing them to read higher than the others. Do you have a pic of the probe location?

Edit: is this your exhaust manifold? Kind of a weird design with the divider, top side is your center cylinders, bottom is your end cylinders. Ideally I'd think you'd want the probe on the side of the collector inline with the divider to get readings from all cylinders.

turbomanifold.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Pajerist likes this.
  13. RawRock

RawRock New Member

Here's a couple pics. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The probe is installed in the rear of the manifold, closest to cylinder 4... is that an ok spot? I read that it is best to have it pre-turbo but not specifically where.

14. RawRock

RawRock New Member

15. RawRock

RawRock New Member

Pictures inbound!

Had a great time wheeling around the hills in Crowsnest Pass. I grew up around there and know of a few decent trails where a guy can escape civilization and cell service and just climb. 4x4 works GREAT. I'm convinced the truck in low-range 4x4 could climb straight up a wall with enough traction. Plenty of low end torque! I stopped in Coalhurst at 4xtoys, basically a JDM pick 'n pull, yard full of imports in various states of being scavenged for parts. The owner is super cool. Skylines, 240's, a Legnum, Landcruisers.... I found a clean coolant tank for the Hilux, as the previous one was filthy. Swapped it in today. So thankful to have a JDM parts guy in southern Alberta!

The truck performed flawlessly, and even got great mileage on the highway, I think my best tank was a 9.7l/100km, 540-ish KM to a 65 litre fill. I did have to keep an eye on the oil level, the CCV is vented to atmosphere (I have a catch can I can install) and it seemed to slobber quite a bit of oil out after long highway runs. I need to study up on this more, but so far I've read that the 2LTE's can generate quite a bit of blowby.

All in all, a fantastic weekend with the 'Yota!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Quite the goat trail to get down to this lake, but totally worth it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pajerist, lenglish, Greg and 2 others like this.
  16. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Nice pics!

RawRock likes this.
  17. IanB

IanB New Member

Man I love the mountains! Great pics, glad to hear the truck was working well for you!

RawRock likes this.
  18. RyanV

RyanV Member

Exploring, nice! :)

RawRock likes this.
  19. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Awesome trip! Can't wait to trade my family hauler SUV for something like this one day. Great pics.!

RawRock likes this.
  20. RawRock

RawRock New Member

Bump this up with some summer progress and fun pics.

This past summer I:
    Fitted a new glow plug override solenoid to fix the issues with the old one, works great for now!
    Built a bed, storage box in the back for camping. Super comfy!
    Thought about installing a charge air cooler...
    Went camping / 4x4ing in the mountains vvvvvvv

Somewhere near window mountain
    [​IMG]
    Wayyyyyy up in the backcountry, an old burnt forest. (super skinny trails, surf is probably the biggest thing to get back there)
    [​IMG]
    Plenty of gorgeous sights
    [​IMG]

And then I found a mud hole.... Thought I'd skirt the edge and see just how soft it was....

and got sucked right in!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luckily a fella with a winch happened along shortly and the surf was free! No harm done. (note to self, buy a good winch)
    [​IMG]

I was debating selling the old girl before this trip... but then I fell in love with it again as I climbed mountains with confidence! Such a capable truck. :) Summertime is fun in beautiful Canada when you own a good truck.

Pajerist, IanB and Megatol like this.