RawRock's 1996 555 STi

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RawRock, Feb 18, 2014.

1. RawRock

RawRock New Member

Pump is in! Took a few hours. I followed this guide:: http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index.php?/topic/81329-diy-gc8-walbro-fuel-pump-installation/ But I removed my back seats entirely. Makes things SO MUCH EASIER. Car fired up just fine after the install, which is always nice when you're modifying something as important as the fuel system. :D

Like I said, I've had this pump sitting around for ages; and the initial reason I bought it was to replace a potentially tired 18-year-old fuel pump. I enjoy reliability! Now, if I wanted to step up from the 440 tune to the 550, All I would need now is the injectors, and probably an intake. No plans for that at the moment, but we'll see where it goes. :)

I had a pretty good idea of where the leak was, so all I did for the rad was stick my phone in the engine bay, and get a few pictures of the dirty/wet/leaky spot. Then I went online and filled out their warranty form, uploaded the picture(s), sent $70 for shipping... and a new rad showed up! They ask that you dispose of the old rad, so you're not cheating the warranty, but they don't need proof of the disposal. I'll see if I can jam it in the bin out back... ;) But yeah, I'm super happy with the warranty, because this could have happened to any radiator, koyo or otherwise, but only mishimoto has the lifetime warranty.

:::::::::::::

Front Brakes are INSTALLED! Wooooo!

I used to be afraid to do any brake work, but pads and rotors are a breeze.

Here are the new stoppers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the old rotors...
    [​IMG]

I had noticed that my rotors were developing a lip on the outer edge. The lip was the same height as the quarter placed on the surface, and the backsides were even worse.
    [​IMG]

I made sure to give the brake pedal a good few pumps before I took it for a run, it'd sure be scary to have the pedal go to the floor like that on the streets! It's nice to have an improvement in stopping power, without the squeals of the old pads/rotors :D And they look so nice when brand new too!

In other news, odometer is sitting at 190,000 kms, and when I parked the car ten minutes ago I decided to check and see if there were any codes in the system... No codes! Yay!

2. RawRock

RawRock New Member

Yearly updates, I guess!

I changed my own timing belt back in February. What a fun time spent second-guessing all the marks and worrying about turning the key... But it fired up fine! :D
    Last monday I had the car in at VEX to have the clutch replaced as it had started to slip under boost. And wow, what a difference a new clutch makes! I had to get used to driving it properly again.

I've put on almost exactly 100,000 km's since I bought the car 4 years ago; meaning my poor engine has almost 209,000 kilometres on it! I guess I'll see how much further she wants to go. My plans include refreshing the appearance, as it has taken on more than a few road injuries... paint chips, broken headlight lens, etc. Though it might not hurt to plan for a new(er) engine...

3. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

That's great! We bought our cars around the same week IIRC, I remember yours going through auction and I considered bidding on it :p
    I loved the new clutch in my Subaru, exedy stage one... it felt so nice. What did you end up replacing it with? As far as the engine goes, might not hurt to have a spare lined up if you can find a cheap one, but run this one until it dies, see what you can get!

4. RawRock

RawRock New Member

I just went with OEM equivalent (exedy I believe). The jump to stage one was way out of my budget at this point, and it needed the job badly.