p's Miata

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by pitty, Oct 23, 2014.

1. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Minor bits while I'm waiting for a new wideband controller to arrive.

Original routing of the coolant hose, a bit gross and interferes with the intake.
    [​IMG]

Modified interference-free coolant hose with a section of random squiggly GM rad pipe spliced in via a mishimotors coupler with an NPT port (for some reason).
    [​IMG]

The t-bolt clamps everywhere are so not cute. Using about sixteen of them throughout the cooling system and intake. :(

2. pitty

[​IMG]
    (testing my new AEM X-series WBO controller with a hastily assembled testing rig)

Sorted out my wideband problem, met a rare 10th anniversary Miater at the lot of the emission testing place.
    [​IMG]
    (fancy mirrors, amirite)

Aced the emission test thanks to clandestine cheating: I whipped up an extra lean test fuel map before pulling into the bay and swapped it back to the power map on the way out. For disclosure, I'm sure it would have been a pass on the power map, but it would have been less of a knockout. Car runs great, halfway into the clutch break-in period, after which I'm scheduling a dyno tune if everything is still in one piece.

Thanks to some post-engine installation connector failure issues, I started replacing the cheap chinese automotive connectors used liberally my custom wiring with Molex ML-XT bits. First to be upgraded was the auxiliary harness housing the wideband signal and sensor ground, which I bundled into a 4-pin connector:
    [​IMG]
    Material quality on these is great, and connection is very certain. Once assembled, the connector comes apart with an audible vacuum "pop", that's how good the sealing is. They're very similar in design and price to the Deutsch connectors, so gotta plan ahead where to use them instead of just buying them in bulk.

The pins cost eighty cents each, so a good idea to measure twice before crimping. Each is a work of pin art, however. <3
    [​IMG]

ECU side of the harness with an extra tiny locking connector for CANbus signal wires.
    [​IMG]

How to run a bunch of noodly 26awg silicone wires through an extra-tight braided sleeve? Scotch tape them to a chopstick and thread it through.
    [​IMG]

Old 3-pin connector compared to its successor.
    [​IMG]

All tucked in, CANbus and 12v lines for a homemade digital gauge are routed into the stereo cubby.
    [​IMG]

Bonus potato picture before final reassembly. Also featured, silver JDM Roadster bonnet.
    [​IMG]

Pajerist likes this.
  3. IanB

IanB New Member

NPT port on the coolant hose coupler is likely for a temp sensor. Nice progress!

4. pitty

Stop, hammertime.
    [​IMG]

Solving a significant braking problem.

Front rotor grew from 9.3" to 11" with a somewhat nicer caliper.
    [​IMG]

Rear rotor grew from 9.1" to 10.9", using a bigger clamper from a '02 Miata. Dust shield required some modification...
    [​IMG]

Rotors, pads, stainless hoses from Stoptech to a larger Wilwood master cylinder to round it all out. Braking problem solved.

IanB and Pajerist like this.
  5. pitty

Final things before the droptop season closes again.

Chopped some hardlines to integrate the massive wilwood master with the factory brake plumbing,
    [​IMG]

Bolted up a lot of ballast some extra bracing. Before,
    [​IMG]

After,
    [​IMG]

Notably poor fuel line management is included with the kit,
    [​IMG]
    (this is temporary)

Glued on a JDM badge :rice:
    [​IMG]

Built a simple digital gauge prototype,
    [​IMG]

In action - displaying the vitals,
    [​IMG]

In the wild.
    [​IMG]

grayhamwiebe likes this.
  6. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

What do you measure with your digital gauge? Also what hardware do you use for it?

I built couple couple small Arduino based projects this summer, interested to create something for my cars.

7. pitty

It's a CAN listener, so the ECU does all the measuring - air-fuel ratio, manifold pressure, coolant/intake air temperatures each via their own sensors. There's a lot more data available, but these are all I want to see.

Hardware is a Teensy 3.2 and a CAN transceiver breakout, plus a step-down 3.3v regulator. Uses the FlexCAN library which ships with Teensy tools to read the passive CAN broadcast and dump select data to the display via i2c.