p's Miata

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by pitty, Oct 23, 2014.

1. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Track day... bro!

It took me many years to hit rock bottom, but I finally own a Miata. She's a '90, and she's the nicest '90 Miata I could find. Took delivery on a rainy day:
    [​IMG]

She now lives next to a modern German compact:
    [​IMG]

So, Miatas might be the most popular track car... in the world, but that's all delusional nonsense. A stock Miata is cute as a button and soft like kitten. Coming from my last car, or even the one before that, she had me pretty scared at times during her shakedown run when she would run out of capacity at around 50% of what I'm used to. That'll change eventually, but will require a lot of work. Stock Miata is soft like kitten and is tuned fully for comfort. On the upside, it's a perfect daily driver, effortless in traffic, while still having enough pep to pass on the highway without downshifting twice.

P.S. If anyone needs their hair or nails did, PM me.

Just kidding, don't PM me. PM Braden instead.

2015-04-01, spring defrost
    [​IMG]

2015-05-3, more low
    [​IMG]

2015-05-23, kicks

[​IMG]

2015-09-22, tote handle
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Paul444 likes this.
  2. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Lol I always used to laugh at Miatas, and especially upset when #1 on the top ten sports cars was a Miata, but I can see the attraction for a weekend racer (or more) now.
    I hope you plan on lots of mods, I love build threads haha.

Does Braden do eyelashes as well?

3. Soren

Soren Hiatus is the best way to control the urges..

haha! Pitty, that's awesome! Really interesting comments too - I always hear of how great they are for control, and the perfect 50/50 weighting etc, so that's quite interesting (but I guess shouldn't be unexpected from a stock setup). Did they get progressively better in stock form (I guess I mean exponentially) as time went on? or are they all pretty soft as things go?

Glad you made a thread, because you have had some cool cars, and kinda.. hide'em haha!
    One criticism, Its a hairdressers car already, and you had to get RED? Aww Pitty.. :(

Murrdawg02 likes this.
  4. pitty

It has its appeal as a platform, which is what I wanted. A first generation Miata with a 1.6 is a sub-2200lb car, and that kind of a thing is hard to come by elsewhere. Then you just have to take your tinfoil chassis and reinforce it enough to make sure it doesn't twist into a bowtie taking soft corners. Luckily it can be done, supply of aftermarket parts for these cars is inexhaustible and there are so many options for everything. I'll start with footing to make sure she does her best at putting those 88whp to the pavement.

I don't know if he's that qualified yet, but I'm sure he'll be eager to give it a try.

It's mostly people romanticizing Miatas in context the classic British roadster, especially funny when done by people who have never been in or even seen a classic British roadster (they're all horrible). The Miatas actually play the classic British roadster game much better than the original, mostly because they can run without catastrophic failures for more than one oil change interval. They did get better with generations, but also heavier, and they still never became a "sportscar" in the modern sense of the word.

When I play hairdresser I play to win. >:(

Murrdawg02 likes this.
  5. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Get the glass Hella H4 conversion, or something similar. THEN get eyelashes.

6. pitty

Yeah, I'll most likely use conventional lights. Space behind the popups looks too tight for a projector retrofit. :\

7. Murrdawg02

You could always go for some LEDs! They are the same, or close to a standard round headlight enclosure. I thought about these for my truck but since I had the room I figured I would go with the HID.

8. pitty

I had my finger on the trigger for a second there, then thought to myself - this can't be right. And then I luckily realized that it's a price per single light. Lol.

9. Murrdawg02

Oh sorry man! I didn't even notice that haha. I would have felt so bad if I had led you astray. :dead:

10. PurgedTT

PurgedTT New Member

Ditch the stock rims and it'll look great B)

11. Murrdawg02

12. pitty

Trucklite lamps are the same unit as GE Nighthawk lamps from what I understand. These folks won't ship to Canada, but I found a bunch of ebay listings that would. Still about $500 for a set shipped, stays below my 10% car value limit for lighting, but just barely.

13. Murrdawg02

Would it be possible to get them shipped to somewhere in Buffalo and go pick them up? Price difference is about $125 shipping and all. Don't know if that is worth the hassle for you.

14. Braden

Braden New Member

It's so clean and stock.. awesome for a '90. Pretty cute I must say.
    I've done a few, I'm much better at facials though.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  15. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

My dad has a '97 that I drove back from Florida (to Halifax) a few years back. Nothing but 12 hour days driving on the interstate highways. The car was completely stock and had close to 200k MILES on it...but was a joy to drive for every minute of the trip.
    If you haven't driven one, you should. Mazda did an amazing job on the first gens...very well thought out car. The next generations...I can't comment on.
    The stock headlights are pretty weak. My dad went with a kit that converts each headlight to a dual Hella round projector with new linkage that opens the eyelids only half way. Expensive kit, but worth it.
    Enjoy the car...you'll be driving it everywhere you can. This excludes the grocery store due to trunk space...but should be OK to commute to work in, as Mazda had the foresight to include a handy scissor holder in the glove box :)
    Sorry, had to throw that in there! J/K

16. pitty

It's so fresh it came with the original bill of sale. $27k in early '90, which speaks more of what the value of CAD relative to USD used to be. There's some wear on the car now that I've looked over and under her from all angles, but it's more like something you'd expect from a decent grade import than a 25 year old Ontarian. I'm rather happy on overall.

A story for the generations, m8.

Something like this, maybe? Considered it, but it just makes the car look so much less cute. :( I really wanted that setup on my 7, but the light mechanism there was so arcane that I didn't want to bother. I'll most likely go with the trucklites if only to keep it simple. All in all, a retrofit with a good set of 7" housings will cost near as much.

I've a home practice. These artisanal shears aren't leaving my nest. >:(

17. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Cool car man!!! Small ultra light cars is not something I understand the appeal off until I was in a ride in a hopped up MRS recently, super light cars are SO different, very cool!

18. pitty

I, on the other hand, have always wanted a tiny RWD. Been looking at S2000s for a couple months, but while they're a superlative sportscar in every way, they just don't feel "small". On the upside, the Miata left me with a lot of leftover budget. :)

The whole thing looked to be a compromise originally, but I actually really like it. Minor ergonomic gripes, that's all. I used to think I don't properly fit in these, but turned out I just never properly tried to find a good seat setting.

19. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Kinda like buying a gtt instead of a gtr. Lol cars are always more fun when there a budget.

Is this thing getting a blow dryer?

20. pitty

Most likely, pending on how I'll feel about that idea by spring/summer, and which parts will pop up for sale.