project R (EP3 Civic-R)

Discussion in 'Honda' started by silent112, Jan 11, 2018.

1. silent112

silent112 Ryan

I've been meaning to post this up for a while...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

checking the mugen box
    [​IMG]

Check out the bits of rubber I found near my brake line
    [​IMG]

Rusty old brakes (yes Derek you were relying on these in your vid)
    [​IMG]

was a nasty winter last year
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

None of my door locks would work, turns they were all disconnected, simple fix, except now the key only turns and unlocks the hatch. It came with a OEM fob that unlocks all the doors. I have to get the two front door lock cylinders fixed.
    [​IMG]

Cleaning up the rear bumper and replacing the taillight gaskets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took out the silencer
    [​IMG]

No speakers in rear, so I picked these up for $35ish from amazon.
    [​IMG]

quick vacuum under the seats (no treasure) although, I found out my driver side seat rail is a lowered "Feel's seat rail"
    [​IMG]

started some sound deadening in the rear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

continued..

2. silent112

silent112 Ryan

2/2

Applying some meguiars UV protection after wet sanding and polishing the lights
    [​IMG]

Idler pulley bearing went in Vancouver
    [​IMG]

So I took the belt off since the racket of a noise it was making
    [​IMG]

Turns out the water pump is driven by this belt so I parked it safe on the side after a couple blocks (temp only got to 3/4) I was trying to limp it home with no power steering and alternator, but there is no way I'm driving without a water pump.
    [​IMG]

the old bearing fell apart as soon as I took it off, also had a new OEM belt to put on since it used to squeak a bit last year but was better after driving it a bit.
    [​IMG]

Getting some decent MPG's
    [​IMG]

Finally got to do around to do a decent polish. followed up with meguiar's 205 and a soft finishing pad then wax.
    [​IMG]

Also using some used RSX 16 inch wheels for winters. They barely fit over the brake calipers.
    [​IMG]

I bought this car at 126xxxkm and I'm now at 143ish, I did one small road trip up to Penticton from the lower mainland and it handled the hills really well. It feels a lot more tame and easier to daily it then the DC2 I had.

The seats are more comfy to sit in, it doesn't have super high bolsters on the base of the seat.
    Lots of headroom, my father is 6'4" and sat in the passenger seat with room to spare. The lowered seat rail adds a extra inch on the driver side (more room for a helmet).

The brakes in the front are similar to a 06 civic SI, and the rears are similar to the later model civic SIR hatchback.

The serpentine belt I found on ebay, since the north american models had hydraulic power steering and the JDM models have electric.

I'm really tempted to get the OEM suspension so I don't scrape my lip as much and for a more comfortable ride as well.

here is a quick rev video filmed on my GoPro hero 2

Murrdawg02 likes this.
  3. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Nice. Those are sweet.

Did you move? Pics look like you did.

4. silent112

silent112 Ryan

Yes I did, I'm in Langley now nearby Costco

5. RyanV

RyanV Member

You and @skylinetimes and your white cars! LOL!

Looks great! I thought about picking up one of these to give them a try as well, but never pulled the trigger. I assume you still have the ITR as well. Which do you prefer?

6. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Looks good! Is it a pearl white? Are you keeping the white wheels for summer?

7. silent112

silent112 Ryan

I actually sold the ITR early last year, but I owned it for almost 5 years at that point. I would have kept it but I knew ahead of time that we were moving and parking in a townhouse complex would get tight.
    I would have kept it, but I know I can always import another, and if I could now, I would probably get a 98, or 99 model, only for the 5x114.3 wheels making brake jobs and wheel bearings easier to find (96/96 had odd 4 X 114.3).

I was also considering picking up a DC5 for a while, but further research revealed that the front wheels have a wider track, and people online that had the brembo brake conversion used 350z track edition pads, and s2000 rotors (with washers maybe?) but I read that those rotors wouldn't work on a legit DC5. Other dimensions too would be slightly different like CV axles and possibly tie rods too.

Also Greg, yes I do like my white. and it's more of a ivory white, Honda calls it "championship white" and since the new Civic Type R's got released here, I can finally buy touch up paint locally, and not from ebay. (my last bottle was really dried up being 4-5 years old)

The wheels are in storage right now, I mounted Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ to those rims for a tire that will last longer then a focused track tire like what I put on the DC2 (I had dunlop direzza sport z1 at first then went to a Bridgestone RE-11a. Both good tires but I think I preferred the bridgestones. I did have some close calls when my tires where almost bald with the Dunlops and I stupidly throttle lifted at a exit and the back end came around a bit (I could do it a bit in round a bouts too).