People are sneaking cars in early?

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by Prostrho, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Prostrho

Prostrho New Member

Hi All,

I know this community is quite small. And I just like to voice my concern here.

Lately I have seen more than 1 car that isn't yet legal being brought in before the legal date.

They were able to leave port, and be registered on the road. They are usually snuck in early by a few months, but I believe this isn't good for the import community. For this particular vehicle I saw, I'm sure the exporter are well aware of the Canadian import rules.

So either the purchaser of the vehicle is misleading the exporter, or there are some exporters that are producing Export certificate that are not authentic, or CBSA doesn't care to check the production month of the vehicle and are letting vehicles slip through.

I believe as the import community, we should have some self discipline in to ensure that we are following the laws and rules. We should be aware that some of the general public does not like the RHD vehicles being imported in the numbers the are coming in right now. If it is shown that many of these vehicles are brought in with fraudulent documents, or are not following the proper protocols, it might have a negative effect on the 15 year old Import rule

Cheers.

2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Hmm so as someone that has gone down to the docks many many times per year. I have seen tons of to new cars. However what I keep in mind is that there are lots of legal ways to bring cars like that in.
    Certain visa holders.
    Embassy staff
    Diplomats
    Movie prop.

Anyways all I'm suggesting here is that unless you have actually talked to the owners. How do you know these cars are illegal.

That being said I know some cars do slip through the cracks.

The other thing is its not up to the exporter to watch what cars he sends. That not his problem. Just like when I buy stuff off ebay the seller isn't responsible if I'm not allowed to that that product in Canada.

Anywya that's my rant.

Curious what cars and when did you see them. I haven't seen any recently.

3. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

I do not know who consciously will take a risk to lose a car plus all importation costs for not waiting 4 months?
    I doubt but I remember many years ago several "too young" cars were impounded by our custom here, they were offered for sale with the condition to take them out from the country.
    I'd rather pay for storage in Japan...

4. trev

trev New Member

Sometimes when I read these posts I get serious deja vu ... I've been listening to people panicking over the import rules changing for a decade or more now, and yet nothing has changed.

Greg likes this.
  5. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Trev and I have been at this longer then anyone else I think.and he is correct the sky has been falling since day one.

6. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Well, it definitely fell in Quebec.
    Maybe it was a little wild over there. Same as Florida in US. In my understanding most illegal USA's JDMs are registered in Florida.

7. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Quebec has always been a special place...

trev likes this.