Pacific Coast Auto

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Greg, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

My review of Derek at Pacific Coast Auto

Also my second time using Derek to help me import a vehicle. This time around, we were on the hunt for a Pajero for my wife.

Derek did a superb time of answering all my emails in a nice timely fashion. If anything I just get impatient because of the time difference, or it's a weekend, so he's probably spending time with his family.

Derek was excellent at translating ALL the auction sheets I sent him, or just saving us the time and saying "no" and the reason, but not bother translating. I like that. Don't get my hopes up if it's bad. He also managed to talk me out of a few more...poor...choices, I'm happy now I didn't win them.

As usual, he supplied me with high res pictures and videos of the vehicle I purchased, as well, showing all the marks and items listed on the auction sheet.

Overall, I was very please with the service and response I received from Derek and would use him/recommend him again.

If I'm missing something, or someone has questions, just ask!

http://pacificcoastjdm.com/

2. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

Thank you Greg,

It was great working with you both times. Seeing a review like this always makes me happy. Thank you for taking the time to do this for me.

This purchase was made during the busiest time we have ever experienced and I am sad to say that when we become very busy, it can be hard to get everything completed on time. during this week, we had to stop taking new customers until the work load dies down.

I take it rather personally when my customers are inconvenienced so to hear a nice review during our most challenging time really goes a long way in supporting me.

It is nice to have great customers who treat me like a person instead of a faceless business. Those are the best customers and I am happy to say that Greg has been a pleasure in every email.

Thanks Greg. I hope you love your vehicle and I look forward to seeing pictures of the big day.

3. Greg

Oh man, I'm SO excited for the reveal, and it's not even here yet! She had better cry, damnit! But seriously...how am I going to top this next year?

4. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Lambo door hinges.....

5. Greg

You first. :p I meant because I got her a dog for her birthday last year, and the Pajero this year, next year will be hard to top.

6. IMPUL

Doesn't it go dog - car - new house? Or something like that?
    Lol ya you really limited yourself ... Maybe you should have started with a spa and work up to a car lol... Anyways ...

Pacificcoastjdm is awesome ... 2 cars so far.... I always recommend derek.

7. Hugh Conway

Hugh Conway New Member

Recently contacted Derek re purchasing a Townace truck. 2nd one for us, they are just exactly the thing for rural area with bad roads. 1000Kg load capacity and a willing diesel make it great for hauling firewood and horseshit........serious.
    Many bad choices on the auction sites, though Derek helped immensely in assisting me to pick through the trash to find a great example. Lots of help with translations, explanations, what to look for, and a very personal touch as well. All the more impressive, as he is a very busy guy.
    After some searching, we found a '96 model with 18000 easy Km on it. Really good condition as we saw when it arrived. This one is a real gem, especially compared with the one I bought here in B.C. 8 years ago. I can now see what a POS the first one really was and even at that it has served well up until a few months ago.
    Thanks Derek for the most excellent personal service in helping us to get exactly what we wanted and giving us a fun and educational experience as well.
    Cheers,
    Hugh Conway

8. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

Thank you so much for writing this review. It was a pleasure to work with you and I am glad that Ben put us in contact.
    I am also happy that things on the importation side were good. During the import, Ben was on vacation so we had to use a backup person to help with the pickup. As you can read here, it went well - http://import-era.com/threads/amazing-auto-imports.610/

All in all, it was enjoyable from start to finish. I would be glad to do it again but hopefully that truck lasts you many years and you will not be in need of a replacement.

Thank you so much

9. Jordan

Jordan New Member

I recently imported my first JDM through Derek @ Pacific Coast Auto! We must have exchanged over 50 emails back and forth, Derek replied to all emails very promptly and was full of information. After searching the Auctions for weeks I finally found a GF8 I was interested in, I sent him the link as well as a deposit. Within a few hours he translated the auction sheet for me and explained that the STI I was interested in had a noisy transmission and needed to be replace. Back to the drawing boards..

A month later I found another GF8 that I thought would be worthy. In the pictures I could see there was a bit of paint missing on the front bumper but I wasn't too worried about it. I sent the link to Derek and once again he translated the auction sheet and I decided this one was worthy of a bid. Derek sent in the bid and we actually lost the auction.. I was pretty pissed because I just waited a whole month to find this one. Later that week the same car I lost the bid on came up again on auction, (I guess the people who bought it tried to re-sell it for a profit...?) I told Derek I wanted to bid on it again, but this time a lower bid than my last. Turns out we won the bid and ended up paying less than what it sold for previously!

About a week later Derek finally got his hands on the car at the port and finds out that the auction inspectors missed something on the auction sheet. The rear left bumper had been hit and it wasn't aligned properly. The bumper had been pushed in about 1cm but the only way you could tell was by looking at the wheel well. Once I saw the pictures and videos Derek sent of the car at the port I wasn't too stoked about it. Derek said he would contact the Auctions to see if we could receive a small reimbursement for the damage the missed on the sheet. Without luck the auctions denied any compensation. I then received an email from Derek and he was kind enough to offer me money out of his own pocket to help fix the small damage on the rear bumper. I was very surprised receiving that email as it was obliviously not his fault the auction inspectors missed that tiny detail.

All in all I received the car and it was more than what I expected! Without Pacific Coast JDM I would not have been able to bring the GF8 over from Japan. From what I have experienced Derek an is honest, considerate and genuine exporter! I enjoyed dealing with him so much that I just bought a 1999 BMW Clown Shoe though Pacific Coast JDM!

dagleykd, Murrdawg02 and IMPUL like this.
  10. Kobzya

Kobzya New Member

I recently had the opportunity to work with Derek as well. I live in Toronto, Canada, and was looking to import a Land Rover Defender from Japan. I honestly searched everywhere for an importer and what I learned quickly is that the most important thing is trust when it comes to working with someone in this field. Derek was above and beyond anything I could have ever imagined and hoped for. He was quick to respond to questions / concerns, provided advice, and how quickly he built trust was truly amazing. We went through a long process (8 months I think in total) where I asked for his advice about about dozens of trucks that popped up. Honestly, some that came along the way were probably good trucks, but Derek knew that I had a perfect one in mind and he really took that to heart. How many times I myself wanted to bid on a truck and he told me not to and be patient is actually unbelievable. You can tell how passionate he is about this and how much he wants to do an incredible job for his customers. He was always fully transparent and gave me his views on the condition, how much it would go for, and what I would probably have to do to fix it up if I bought it. It sounds corny but I truly felt like he was my eyes and ears over there and I fully trusted his advice. At the end, we finally found one - and it was perfect. And this is where the second aprt of the review comes in.

Derek's network of people he works with is absolutely top notch. He provided me with a guy through whom I should do the wire transfer to pay for the truck (so I can get a better FX rate than through the bank), he then provided shipping from Japan to Vancouver. Once it reached Vancouver, he then handed off the file to an excellent customs agent, who then organized shipping to Toronto for me. How seamlessly (and without any hiccups whatsover) everything was done and passed on to people in his network was unbelievable. I knew where my truck was at all times and at what stage of the process we were at. He provided regular updates. All that was left up to me was pay the invoices as they came up. Every party that Derek connected me with was incredibly professional and you could tell they were up to his high standards. I am still shocked to this day at how seamless and simple everything was - and to finally pick up the truck at the rail yard in Toronto and then realize how painlessly it traveled from the other end of the planet was really mind boggling (people still don't believe how simple it sounds when I tell them about the process). And the truck was exactly as Derek described in the auction translations and in the video (yes, he provides a detailed walk around and check up of the car for you after you win it via video and about 100 pics - he checks to show you what works and what doesn't so there are no surprises), down to every little detail - no surprises at all. Again, just a testament to how professional Derek is when it comes to this business.

Derek, again, thank you very much for everything you did for me, the whole process literally couldn't have gone smoother or more pleasant. You do an absolutely incredible job and I wish you nothing but the very best with your business. And if anyone wants to ask any more questions, please go ahead and ask me - Derek went above and beyond what I expected, so the least I can do is spread the word of theincredible job he does.

PS - as a side note, my whole family is now obsessed with these trucks and we will probably be looking to import another one.

Thanks so much again Derek!

- Kobzya

11. coquitlamglenn

coquitlamglenn New Member

Kobzya,

I agree about working with Derek. I will import again with him as well.

Please post up your Landrover - I burn for one.

12. IMPUL

Great review, could not have said it better myself.

13. SammyKC

SammyKC New Member

I just imported my third JDM but first from an auction. Derek was great! Quick and informative replies to all my emails. He offered expert advice. small.jpg I will buy from auction through Derek again.

14. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the nice review and thank you for sending me the email recently confirming that the Pajero landed in Canada and was happy on the 800 km trip back home.

It is a big part of the process for me to see the cars land and to hear back from customers from time to time. Don't be afraid of emailing any time if you need anything and take care of the car.

JamalS13 likes this.
  15. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

Just wanted to thank Derek and his staff for helping me with some required documentation...on a vehicle he did not even have anything to do with! He is just that type of guy. The guy that wants to help others out in this awesome import community we have.
    BIG THANK YOU, DEREK! Car has been registered without any issues. I am finally going out for a long drive today.

16. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

Wow.. thanks for the nice words. I really appreciate it.

Though you can thank Naoko, she did the translation of the export certificate.
    If you need anything, don't hesitate to email me.