BC OOP Shops in BC that are import Friendly

Discussion in 'Regional' started by Dah_Hunter, Feb 20, 2014.

1. JFT

JFT New Member

Thanks, yeah I ordered a PIAA DRL module, I'll install it on the fog lights as there's not really any room in/on the bumper for extra lights. Reflectors on the corners are there. I'll change all filters, wipers, tires before I go for the inspection as well.

I know it's not a Skyline, a GTB or a anything fancy but that truck is awesome! It's for my renovation business, usually it's a pick up style truck but I opted for cube kind of style since it rains 6 month a year here ;) Check it out if you want to:

2. Vik Bout

Vik Bout New Member

Hey guys, it wasn't just ABC that got tickets, inspectors have been paying visits to other shops too as newer regulations were being implemented in September through December. From what I was told they eventually want less RHD imports here.. So not only headlights but now also taillights must be DOT compliant (unless I've never heard about taillights??)

Obviously all this BS is for JDM cars that don't have north American equivalent versions that you can buy lights for.

Can someone shed more light? I thought that it is a misconception that lights can be DOT approved (since department of transportation do not inspect anything) and manufacturers just put that stamp to indicate that the product is made up to DOT standards..?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  3. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Inspection are run by CVSE, and They put all bulletins etc up on the site:
    CVSE Bulletins

The only Information about tail Lighting is this one that was from 2009:
    Vehicle Lighting Protocol.
    Page 10 should clear Stuff up about the Tail lights up, but if you dont want to read it, i will paste the good parts for everyone:
    Lights and reflectors meeting the U.S. SAE/DOT regulations, the European ECE regulations, or the Japanese JIS/JASIC regulations are allowed. So, most original-equipment lights and signals on vehicles from any market are acceptable.

Is the light or reflector definitely original equipment on a vehicle type-approved to Japanese regulations for the Japanese market? If you are not sure, compare the equipment on the vehicle to pictures in original sales brochures, parts and service manuals for the vehicle. Yes: The light or reflector passes this test. Move on to the next light or reflector, or proceed to the next test.

As for the headlights, thats been cut and dry for Years:
    Vehicle Lighting Protocol Document Page 18.

Also for Large dealers like Velocity, its pretty obvious they arent changing headlights.. Soooo somehow they are sliding tons of cars through.

4. trev

trev New Member

I hate sounding like a wank, but they've been "wanting" less RHD here for well over a decade.

Ben nailed the right info for you there, however the owner of a name brand dealer here told me recently that new regs were coming as well ... but we always hear rumors like that.

I'd guess CVSE was just stopping by to rattle their chains.

Vik Bout likes this.
  5. JM16

JM16 New Member

I am located in Langley, and am looking for a place that will inspect my car. I have contacted many shops, and so far, no luck. All of the shops say they do not inspect RHD vehicles.
    Does anybody have any suggestions to RHD friendly shops in or around Langley?
    Please advise...

6. Dah_Hunter

7. JM16

JM16 New Member

so....
    I went to Midas Aldergrove, and it was a great experience.
    The staff was very concerned about safety, and informed me that they would not have passed my vehicle had they not determined it to be safe for the road.
    I was in and out in a couple of hours, as it was a busy day for them, and I wanted to be there while they performed the inspection.
    I observed their dealings with other customers, and throughout the day, they were very polite, professional and informative.
    I would recommend this shop, not only for inspections, but for other services and mechanical work as well, as they have phenomenal customer service.

Thanks for the recommendation Dah_Hunter

8. blindbatled

blindbatled New Member

Mr Hunter. What place do you use for inspection currently?

9. Granx

Granx New Member

I'm considering importing a Toyota Camroad 100 series (LY161) camper and I'm wondering if you had any surprises with getting your 200 series Dyna through the inspection. For example, did you have to change the headlight lenses? Also, what shop did you end up using?

10. Dah_Hunter

as confirmed by JM16.
    Midas in Aldergrove.,
    26930 Fraser Highway, Aldergrove, BC V4W 3L6
    (604) 856-7041

Seems to be a good place for inspections.

11. Pluj

Pluj New Member

Any shops that don't require the DOT stamp on tires? Just imported a car and it has some fresh tires with the load ratings stamped, seems like a waste to replace them. Called Midas in Aldergrove and the guy didn't know if they did inspections or not.....

12. Dah_Hunter

What car is it? Midas was just used the earlier in Feb but @JM16 Prolly the sunday staff dont know whats going on. i would call again tomorrow and see. Not sure about the Tire thing ( I just wouldnted Mention it)

13. Pluj

Pluj New Member

Ok Thanks. I'll give them another call this week. The car is a bugeye sti.

14. hk20000

hk20000 New Member

Passed at ABC Tireland as Nissan did not point the headlight to the left with an arrow. Still not indication whether they are "JDM friendly" but in my case it worked.

15. Pluj

Pluj New Member

I called Midas back and talked to Scott, he was on vacation the other day. I brought my car in today and passed. Thanks for the suggestion guys!

16. RyanV

RyanV Member

Has anyone used a shop in North Vancouver that they can recommend?

17. Dah_Hunter

What new whip so you have now Ryan.

18. RyanV

RyanV Member

Nothing for me right now :( but I'm on the hunt. Just trying to help someone out since they are located in that area.

19. cheesyhoney

cheesyhoney New Member

lf a place in north van as well, I have a car just landing and needing inspecting

20. Metalbox

Metalbox New Member

Any shops that still willing to pass jdm vehicles? i have been calling everywhere, as long as i told them its rhd, they refuse right away. MF, Midas, some other shops, ABC tires(insist to have dot stamp on headlights)etc.
    any shops? or any place that could make your headlights complies the regulation?