BC Obtaining a TOP as a non resident

Discussion in 'Regional' started by dmnd, May 10, 2020.

1. dmnd

dmnd Gallo 24

When my next car arrives from Japan in July, i’m looking at spending some time on the island before heading back home to Alberta.

Does anyone know if it is possible for me to purchase a temporary operating permit for a freshly imported JDM as a non BC resident?

2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Yes. a buddy of mine has done that lots.

But now he just gets temp insurance in Alberta. since ICBC only gets 1 day at a time. (Most of the time)

3. dmnd

dmnd Gallo 24

Do you know what paperwork they need for the TOP?

Thanks Ben

4. RyanV

RyanV Member

@Dah_Hunter would know better than me, but I'd really recommend just getting something through your current insurance provider in AB before heading over here. If you get an ICBC broker that doesn't know what they are doing it will probably take a long time if it's even possible. Also, with the COVID related closures things are just done over the phone right now, so the paperwork gets mailed out. I don't know how you would get your paperwork if they are still only doing over the phone when you make your trip.

Short answer, less complicated and fewer potential problems if you get your insurance in AB before you make your trip.

5. dmnd

dmnd Gallo 24

Normally that is what I do, however I always just picked up the car and started driving straight home. The issue is registration, in Alberta we don’t have a TOP. We have a in-transit permit for only specific reasons which you must tell them when you get one, unfortunately using it to commute, run errands, go for a leisurely drive is not an option. Basically you need to state your point A and B and they put those locations right on the permit itself. As well as it goes in the front windshield, it just says “In Transit” and all the details are on the backside which you cannot see from outside. I just want to avoid headaches with LEOs if i’m going to be driving around for a few days before going home.

6. RyanV

RyanV Member

Unless they have changed something at ICBC, it's the same here with the "Point A to Point B". The last time I got one of these permits you had to put the pick up address and the destination address. The destination address was only allowed to be your place or residence or a shop that would be doing the inspection.

I'd suggest you call an ICBC broker now and get answers before you make the trip. It may be different since you are from out of province, but I still don't know how they'd get you the paperwork. Unless you can do it well ahead of time?

7. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Ryan is correct they are A to B permits only here. So they require a to and from address and as i mentioned they are 1 day only.

Intrasit seems Vague to me, my buddy from Alberta got those all the time and just drove around as needed. lol. RCMP here dont really know what they are. and if you were in an accident well just make sure you start location is the farthest point ont your trip so you indeed are in transit. thats what i would do (Hello gray area)

There are ICBC locations that are open to the public, you could always give my Buddy Kyle a call he works at a location they are closed but he will hand you the paperwork through the door.
    Paperowrk required would be
    Bill of Sale.
    Export Certifiate
    Translation
    B15 Customs paid form

you can call my buddy tomorrow after 10
    (604) 888-9096