No longer need OOP between BC-AB-SK

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by Braden, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Braden

Braden New Member

2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Thats good news for a lot of people.

Hello loop hole.. If you cant get your car to pass inspection in your province drive to another province get the inspection done there, and then drive back..

:)

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Yes, it's good news, but I'm not sure it's a loop hole...Maybe yes or no depending on the broker and ICBC agent (here in BC) that you are dealing with.

I live in BC...If I were to import a vehicle, have it inspected in AB and then try and register it in BC, I don't think that will work. It's still coming from Japan and doesn't have a registration in AB or SK and all my paper work would have my BC address. However, if I were to have an AB address and have it inspected and registered there...;) Save some taxes too...

4. thought

thought New Member

Better yet, I can pay FVI to get my cars certified in BC, then simply drive them to MB and register. You up for this idea? :p

5. Braden

Braden New Member

Yeah, this is one thing that will need to be cleared up. If the car will have to be plated in the province you inspected it in before you 'import' it to another province, or if your province will just accept inspection papers from another province.

6. william

william William

This isn't applicable for Japanese vehicles, I have inquired about it in the past when other inter provincial inspections were suggested and being tested.

7. Braden

Braden New Member

Any reasons why? Or proof that this applies to these happenings? It just seems a little odd- if not far fetched and backwards.

8. william

william William

If I remember correctly, it was due to the different regulations for the different provinces.

9. Braden

Braden New Member

Well that sucks. Thanks for the info!

10. Lethbridge_man

Lethbridge_man New Member

When does this take effect? The (much) better half just bought a 2013 Kia Soul in BC and we're registering & insuring it in Alberta this week - it would be great if I didn't have to pay for an OOP!

11. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

One more year: starts from April 1, 2015

12. Soren

Soren Hiatus is the best way to control the urges..

That's pretty interesting, but William, is your info current? Because it seems weird that on one hand AB/Sask/BC are saying an OOP works for any province (of the three) because standards are similar, but on the other hand, saying the JDM stuff will be under different standards (across provinces)

13. Braden

Braden New Member

Bump.
    Anyone hear anything? This should be in effect now.

14. Braden

Braden New Member

From ICBC

"You're bringing a vehicle to B.C. from another province or territory before the vehicle can be registered in B.C., in most cases you will need:
    • the vehicle's current registration
    • the Certificate of Title if your vehicle is from Nova Scotia
    • if the vehicle is not registered in your name, a signed and dated bill of sale. (Sometimes a vehicle registration document, signed by the registered owner of the vehicle and naming you as the new owner, is acceptable instead.)
    To register, license and insure the vehicle, bring these documents to any Autoplan broker.

*Under the New West Partnership Trade Agreement (effective April 1, 2015), qualified private vehicles imported from Alberta or Saskatchewan may be exempt from the BC pre-registration safety inspection. Please ask your Autoplan broker for details."

http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/buy-vehicle/Pages/Registering-a-vehicle-in-B-C-.aspx

15. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

16. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

ya this doesnt do anything for RHD's going between Alberta and BC..

17. Braden

Braden New Member

Hmm. I wonder if I can swing this with sgi. I'll let you guys know after the weekend.

18. Hugo4

Hugo4 New Member

Ha, good luck with that. Manitoba made me provide proof of how long I lived in Alberta (and when I bought my car) when I moved there and registered my car. Apparently if I had bought a car in Alberta and moved to Manitoba within a certain period (something like six months, not sure) they would still slap the provincial sales tax on.

19. Braden

Braden New Member

Tried to pull this on the supra, seeing as it was just inspected at the end of May in BC. Apparently you have to also move from where it was inspected :/