AB Need help with OOP inspection

Discussion in 'Regional' started by judasentinel, Feb 1, 2016.

1. judasentinel

judasentinel New Member

Hi All,

We are planning to move to AB in a few months and bringing our 1995 R33 GTR with us from Ontario. It is currently insured and plated in Ontario, and I understand that we will need an OOP inspection to be passed to register it in AB.

I have been getting confusing, conflicting, and frightening info on OOP inspection for my car, with people saying that I need to have driver airbag in place, and DRLs, etc..

I do not know if my car has an airbag, or had one that was removed. I also have been told that shops in Alberta will give me a very hard time and it will be very costly to get it passed if it doesnt have an airbag and needs it, or if it has it but is not working because I have an aftermarket steering wheel. Hell, I dont even know where it is supposed to be on a stock R33 GTR. Is it in the steering wheel? If so, the steering wheel is no more.

I am making this thread to seek guidance and help from experienced and mature members on here, to help me find out if there is/are shop(s) in AB that would be conducive to doing the OOP and not make it hard for me. It is a huge decision for us to move across the country and while other considerations have already been accounted for (job, housing, etc..), the fate of my GTR will determine if we go to AB or to BC.

If anyone can help me with OOP inspection in AB, I will be most grateful.

Thanks,

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

I could be wrong, but I would think the OOP would be easier in AB than BC. I haven't really heard any horror stories about people trying to get their car through inspection in AB. BC can be a problem if you go to a shop that doesn't know what they are doing.

I'm sure someone from AB can recommend a shop, but it might help if you specify where in AB.

3. judasentinel

judasentinel New Member

Thank you for replying, Ryan. Specifically anywhere in Calgary and surrounding area. I am willing to drive even to Edmonton to get it done if need be. I will have 90 days to do it as I am coming from another province where the car is insured and plated. I think they give 90 days to have it transferred to AB.

4. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

If you don't mind coming to Edmonton area I could recommend a good shop where I have had a couple of OOPs done. Vex Performance in Calgary did mine on my old car, they don't discriminate against JDM.. but might call you on the steering wheel. You could try and borrow a wheel for the OOP.

5. judasentinel

judasentinel New Member

I might take you up on that one, tperkins. Thanks for the offer to help :).

I appreciate it.

6. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

I know there are lots of inspection shops in AB and BC that will pass stuff by barly looking at it.. i honestly wouldn't be worried.

7. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

I'm in Calgary. PM me when you get here. I'm using one shop for my OOP inpections, they definitely check DRL and some important stuff like brakes, suspension. Not sure about air bag, I only had one vehicle with aftermarket steering wheel without air bag, but that vehicle didn't have air bags at all, so it passed without problems.

8. Stokes

Stokes Brad

There are lots of shops around here that pass JDM's without issue. You'll be fine.

9. judasentinel

judasentinel New Member

Thank you all for the valuable inputs. It is just daunting, you know....moving your whole life to a new province and then people scaring you that you need to get this done, and that done, DRLs and whatnot. I just want hassle-free inspection without having to spend an arm and a leg to make it compliant. If my car doesn't have airbags, it doesn't. It didnt come with them when I bought it. And there is no SRS or Airbag light in the dash either.

Hope someone can give me a name of a particular shop who will not make a big deal of things and let me have a pass - the car is in pretty good shape anyway.

10. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Alberta is fairly low strict, but the simple answer is if it came with it stock, it needs to be there. Ie. even though all cars dont have fog lights, if a came with fogs they need to be there to pass inspection. Way back when I got an inspection on my Safari the tach was dead. And even though some cars don't come with tachometers, mine had to work since it was an OEM item. And yea I was going to say the easy way to know if you need an airbag is if there is a airbag light on the dashboard. If there isnt one on your R33, you are in the clear!

I just did my OOP at Right Price Auto- Really nice guys and were super accommodating but it was not a 'free pass'. They are pretty strict on the mechanical side. I needed new pads in front (min. is 4mm or 5mm, mine were 3.5) and a new tie rod end. My bumper was loose so I had to re secure it. You will need DRLs, but that is really easy to wire up.

I have heard good things about Beyond Transmission but never used them, dont know how strict they are. But the guy that answers the phone is hilarious, its worth calling just for that.

Someone else one the forum might be able to point you at a hassle free shop.
    Best of luck, moving is stressful and passing inspection is a headache, but thats really the price we pay to have unique JDMs.

11. trev

trev New Member

I have nothing to offer to Albertans 'cept, do not EVER EVER! go to Canadian Tire EVER!

12. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

We got my girlfriend (at the time) Pajero iO done at Can Tire, but that was because we knew the guys doing it. Otherwise I 100% agree.
    And even some of the registries don't know what they are talking about so if you are unsure about something, post on here.
    They told me I had to go get a 'federal inspection' done and only Canadian Tire does them, once I passed that I could come back for my Provincial inspection. What a bunch of bull.... All that they really needed was the customs form.

13. judasentinel

judasentinel New Member

Hi again. Our move date is more or less finalized - mid April, and for anyone who can help with the OOP, I'd appreciate it. If any of you have connections with, or know, someone would could sign off on the inspection, that would be awesome. The car is mechanically stock and in very good condition. Didn't come with airbags, so I am not worried about it. No airbag light either. No DRLs, though, and I'd rather just get the inspection done and pay for it than go through the hassle of "necessary repairs" that usually seem to crop up when someone does inspections like these.

Pls PM me if you can help. Thank you :)

14. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

My only concern here, has to do with a certain level of safety. You keep on saying you just want it to pass without the hassle of 'necessary repairs', and 'hassle free without having to spend an arm and a leg to make it compliant.', and that bothers me. Is your car in such crap condition that you know it won't pass a 'real' OOP? Part of the OOP is to find potential safety issues you may not know about. Yes I get it sucks, and you have to spend money to have it done, and have the possibility that it will cost you more, but thats life. Thats the rule. You have to pay to play.

15. judasentinel

judasentinel New Member

Hi Greg,

actually the car is in very good condition - no rust, no dents, cracks, no paint issues or glass cracks whatsoever. The suspension is fine and so are the brakes. The engine runs rough because of low compression in one cylinder, but other than that, there are zero issues in it. My avatar is actually the car's pic as it is now.

I am merely concerned because of DRLs and airbag issues. My car didnt come with airbags and there are no airbag lights in the dash either. People have said that some 1995 R33s came with airbags. Mine didnt. it has an aftermarket steering wheel and there are no airbag wires or such hanging either. I have concerns only because of the people who have shared that inspection places try to create "necessary repair" situations. I have suffered thru this in Ontario, and that was the only reason I brought it up as I dont know how different AB would be. Hope it is not as silly.

I think I will be ok, since I know the car is in great shape. Just didnt want to go to a shop that doesnt even understand JDMs.

Thank you all for your support and comments.

16. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

If your car doesn't have airbags it will not be a problem. I had similar situation: no airbags and aftermarket steering wheel and passed without problems.

Regarding DRL: I actually think it is a useful feature to have. I installed DRL myself on the several cars and it takes less then an hour and costs under $10 in parts. It is as easy as cutting couple wires and connecting them to DRL relay. Just wire it up and you will not have problems if you go to any "JDM-friendly" shop.