My very first reno thread...on a car forum :P

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Wolfd89, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Soren

Soren Hiatus is the best way to control the urges..

Looks good Wulfie! Are those the Z-5500's? I had a set of those, and they did a pretty good job! I think they are still running in my sister-in law's place (off a BOSE system - yech!) - but they sound SOOOO much better than the BOSE did whoo)
    I have one suggestion about the wire at the front left corner.
    - if you have a decent size hole above the wood mount, and don't mind taking it down again, make a hole directly back at the wall (where you have the wire coming down) and fish from the tiny hole you make to the big hole under the wood mount. Fish your cables back into the ceiling and down the tiny hole, and put it through an 8.00 piece of wiremold. (make the hole the same size as the wiremold profile, fill excess with caulk)
    - if you don't want to mess with pulling down the wood mount again, go and get some wiremold and a 90 degree bend, and hide it in there, paint the wm, and there you go.
    It's sometimes called raceway, and comes in many different types and materials.
    [​IMG]
    that's the kind I usually use- it's metal - and smallish. I'm not sure what size wire you used. If you went 16 or up, you should have little problem.
    [​IMG]
    this might be a good solution, and I believe these even have sticky back to them (the other ones you have to mount with a couple brackets and push the wm into it.)

2. Wolfd89

Wolfd89 Last in, first out

Hey Soren, thanks for the suggestion. I think what I'll eventually do is feed the wires through the top plate of the wall behind the TV, and make a hole at the bottom that can be covered by a blank faceplate. The speakers are exactly what you said they were. Damn S, I didn't even know what they were until you mentioned it, hahaha

3. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Sweet deals bro!
    But sharing is caring. Im a shitty fighter. Lol

4. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Loving the thread man! That is one epic rainstorm pic!

5. Wolfd89

thanks dagleykd

We walked thru the ikea showroom in Coquitlam back in November, and really liked the look of their Besta series furniture. So just as a test we bought one unit and placed it in the living room. I like the look, and will buy the rest in the spring. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm a huge fan of their LED strip lighting. Easy to use and install, and makes the furniture look contemporary.

6. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

That unit is floating? cool

7. Wolfd89

It is! Makes the room look bigger imo

8. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Very nice - I've toyed with the idea of those LED lighting strips when I eventually get my own place. Really like the way you've got that whole unit set up, and the lighting does really look very nice! Was that "warm" yellow the only color they had, or did you choose it to get a "softer" feel in the room rather than something closer to white?

9. Wolfd89

They also had a multi colour one that shifted thru the spectrum, but it was more expensive.

dagleykd likes this.
  10. Wolfd89

Update time!

The weather here in Kamloops has been amazing over the last few weeks, allowing me to get a solid start on this years 'to do' list.

Picked up some goodies from the ReStore
    [​IMG]
    Joist hangers are for the deck, as are the lag bolts. The round black things are exterior lights that bite into a low voltage wire. Will mount those along the fence. Post caps were overstock.

My work had some overstock they wanted to use up, and I made a deal with the purchasing manager on these.
    2.2E 3100FB 11-7/8" x1-3/4" Laminated Veneer Lumber Beams.
    These will make up the joists on the deck, but because they need to tuck under the roof overhang they were ripped down the middle, to be nailed or screwed together to make 3-1/2" x 5-7/8" beams.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took 3 days to sand those suckers thanks to the wax coating on them. Cleaned up nicely though.

The back yard previously had a 'Water Feature' with a s**t ton of river rock. Some of it was used on the garden boxes, but we needed to use the rest. Sooo, here it is along the side of the house after patching the crack in the foundation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Up next is the fence, one of two that badly need some TLC. We decided to reuse the cedar boards to save some coin. Again, about 3 days of sanding and painting later...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last weekend it was time to dig the foundations for the deck footings. The conc. slab will be poured in two days time, so this was time sensitive. Took about 2.5 hrs per hole to get to 42" below grade, and another 30 min to place, plumb, and backfill the bigfoot pads and sonotubes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The plans for the covered patio were finalized over the winter

[​IMG]

finally, Sunday and today my father delivered the majority of the lumber, allowing me to sand and begin staining.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One more short but important story to share. Last week I helped my dad move a cedar log from his neighbors property. The trunk in question was 18' long, 3 feet in diameter, and the wood was wet. It weighed about a same as a car. As we moved it, I stood next to this thing to guide it and keep it balanced on the chain around the middle. The skid steer rocked back and forth on some uneven ground, and the sideways forces it seemed where to much for the chain to bear. It snapped, and the damn log nearly crushed me. Just remember to respect heavy equipment and machinery when you work, or are around them. Something as mundane as changing your vehicles tires can be dangerous if not done properly. Stay safe everyone!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  11. Dah_Hunter

Nice that Deck is going to look awesome. Glad you didnt get hurt.

12. RyanV

RyanV Member

Close calls like that can always be an eye opener.

Always love the look of wood rather than a coloured paint. What are you using for stain?

13. Wolfd89

thanks Ben.

It's called Sikkens Prolux, Natural Colour.

14. Wolfd89

some more before and after photos! The yard is now mostly done. Need to do some minor stuff with the shed, but both fences are repaired and the sod is taking root.

The old retaining wall before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan is to raise the deck before May, and to put some high power LED floodlights like the ones shown below on the wall to light up when sitting outside. Finally, I'm going to buy a few exterior rated speakers and place them under the Patio, then hook them up to a projector that uses the wall as a display(a linen sheet should do the trick). Outside movie nights for the summer months. :D

[​IMG]

Greg and lenglish like this.
  15. Dah_Hunter

wow awesome.. very impressed..

16. Wolfd89

thanks!

17. Dah_Hunter

landscaping is the next thing we are starting on, but you have set the bar HIGH.

18. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Looks amazing! Quite the transformation.

19. Wolfd89

you have a huge yard. It will look great when its done.

thanks!

20. grayhamwiebe

grayhamwiebe New Member

That is some sweet work you've done. Wish my yard looked half as good. It's still mostly mud from my garage build.